8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if any of you noticed, but it seems that the iPod Music Link Adapter Kit is available for purchase from College Hills Honda.

I ordered one yesterday and I'll have pictures of it once it arrives. I'm really hoping that it works well, especially the navigation of the iPod via the Navi head unit.

Have any of you ordered and/or tried one yet? I don't always like to be an early adopter, but my current solution is kinda ugly and albeit functional, a bit of a pain to work with. I figure that while I've got some spare time I'd install this and give it a go. Worst case I can always stick with the original aforementioned aux-in adapter that I made.

-Steve

·
Premium Member
7,195 Posts
I ordered a set of fogs and a moonroof visor from collegehillshonda, however I didn't get the ipod adapter. They had a much better price than my local honda dealer, and its the excact same parts. Also on www.collegehillshonda.com you can print out detailed instructions for the install.

Good luck with the install and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hmm, this doesn't sound very good. From reading through the newly posted Honda Music Link User's Guide it doesn't look like the iPod Music Link Adapter Kit supports browsing the iPod via the touchscreen. Best I can tell, it uses some sort of CD changer emulation and a whole bunch of custom playlists on the iPod.

I guess I'll find out either tonight or this weekend, as my kit is currently sitting on my front porch waiting for me to get home.

I really, really hope it works well.

-Steve

UPDATE: I'm half tempted to just go with my original plan of building my own custom aux in connection for the iPod and a nice dock. At least then I'd be able to browse the damn thing without using the head unit. And it'd sure cost less than $180.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, a bit more info...

First, I just got off the phone with Honda asking them what to expect when using it. The person there understood my confusion with the use of the kit. The only thing they could definitively say is that "the way it looks in the manual is how it looks when playing". Well, as you can see from page 19 of the aforementioned PDF, there is just simply a 'Disc' and 'Track' listing. The person I spoke with said it's still new to them as well, and suggested I check with a local dealer to see if they have one on demo.

Second, I called my local dealer, and they said that they don't have any installed on anything, and because it's more of a 'special' part, they probably won't. With the popularity of iPods this doesn't make much sense to me, but... Whatever.

Third I gave College Hills Honda's parts department a call to ask them about it. I explained the discrepancy between the press release and the manual (PR quoted below) and all they were able to tell me is that it does show the artist / album info, but they didn't know any more about how the iPod itself is navigated.

Honda Music Link enables consumers with iPods to select their music by artist, album, genre and play list through the Honda Civic’s standard controls on the audio system head unit.
So, I guess at this point I'm just going to end up heading home and installing the kit and seeing what happens.

I'd love to hear from anyone else who has one of these set up in their car or has at least used one in person...

-Steve

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been waiting for this to become available since I picked up my EX in late November.

When I got the car, my local dealership (and the rep. from Honda Canada that spoke to over the phone) didn't even know that the music link was coming out. They kept trying to tell me about the aux. input. Anyway, now that they're becoming available, I've been waiting to hear of other people's experience with it before getting one.

I read the user manual for it today and it looks like you get most of the functionality you'd want via the car deck's dash and steering wheel controls along with the TTS functionality (which "sounds" cool, but I think I'll wait until I hear/use it to pass final judgement).

Have you seen how the cd player deals with MP3 CDs or CDs that have CD-Text? I suspect that it'll be similar - artist/album/track/directory/file names all available via the deck's display.

If you just want get clean (non-FM trasmitted) audio into your car's stereo, but still want to use the iPods nav wheel, why not just get the aux. input and a iPod car charger?

-m

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
mattr,

Well, mine is installed, and the TTS software is going to town. We'll see what it does... I can tell you two things right away. Out of the box it does not show track names and is rather counterintuitive.

Secondly, installing the box behind the glove box is a complete pain in the ass. If you put it where the image seems to indicate, the glove box doesn't close. Although I did manage to make it fit, I don't have a perfect space for it, but I'm running out of time tonight. I'll probably just pivot the glove box down another day and see what I can make it do.

That said, I've got pictures of the install forthcoming, and I'll be doing a write-up about my experiences with the kit. Unfortunately I have a bad feeling that I'm going to be very disappointed.

By the way, I have made a whole aux-in / charger kit. If you look at some of the other threads I've posted to (in particular one on the Honda Bass System Kit) you can see exactly what I made. My original plan was to integrate that up inside the dash, but then this kit came out and the press release made it actually seem useful.

We'll see...

-Steve

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a quick update... Don't buy this. At all. It's really, really poorly implemented. It's physically well made, but it works horribly. I'll be writing up a full article about it this weekend.

Uggh. I can't believe I just wasted $180 + my time installing this. It's nearly unusable.

-Steve

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the update. Too bad. It sounded cool. I guess I'll start looking into other solutions (other than the current "temporary" one using an FM transmitter).

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have to agree...I just installed my Music Link and I'm really disappointed that the Navi models don't utilize browsing via the touchscreen. The TTS is not too bad, but if you are looking for a specific artist/playlist....it's probably a hell of a lot easier to just browse your iPod using the AUX in port instead of waiting for the TTS to get around to the right letter, then the right artist/playlist...oye.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts