8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well since im getting the vic, i was planning on getting a mp3 player or ipod while i wait...
My question is...
I want napster cuz for $15 a month u get unlimited downloads.
But I dont think you can use napster with the ipod.
And the honda link only works with ipod...
I dont want to pay a dollar a song when i can get all songs for 15 bucks a month
Can anyone fill me in on a way around this situation?
Is it possible to get just a mp3 player that works with napster to work on the civic system?
I would like like to be able to controll everything with the cars stero buttons, but if i had to use the mp3 player to select songs, i guess it would be ok, if i could get 1000000 songs a month for$15.00

· Registered
250 Posts
j3hff said:
but why not illegally download
why not illegally rob a bank? why not illegally steal a car? why not do anything illegal? ;)

Anyways, for $15/mo, that's an awesome deal.... as long as you don't cancel. Once you cancel your subscription, all that music goes bye bye. An iPod will play any mp3 so as long as you can turn those napster songs into an mp3, you'll be fine. As far as having an interface to control your mp3 player, I think you can only do that with the iPod and the MusicLink from honda. Otherwise, any mp3 player will work by using the audio line in.

· Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
chibianh said:
why not illegally rob a bank? why not illegally steal a car? why not do anything illegal? ;)

Anyways, for $15/mo, that's an awesome deal.... as long as you don't cancel. Once you cancel your subscription, all that music goes bye bye. An iPod will play any mp3 so as long as you can turn those napster songs into an mp3, you'll be fine. As far as having an interface to control your mp3 player, I think you can only do that with the iPod and the MusicLink from honda. Otherwise, any mp3 player will work by using the audio line in.

O really? once u cancel napster you loose all the songs saved to your comp?!?
that sux..

yea i guess i gotta just figure out what format napster sends them to you in, and if it isnt mp3, see if you can convert to mp3..
Yea i really wanna be able to select folders and everything right on the navi..
Messing with a dumb mp3 player while u drive prolly isnt the safest..

As far as Downloading illegally, we aint in the 90's anymore and im all set with getting harassed by the gov for illegal Downloading...
But on the other hand if i go with itunes, whats the sense at .99 a song when u can buy full albums with artwork and everything else at best buy for like $12-13

Anyone else on these forums got a ipod and use napster, or have a solution to this lil problem ?

· Acorns!
18,626 Posts
hmmm I didn't know that about napster either.

I just read through their FAQS - look at this though.

9. What can I do with music I buy on Napster?
The songs and albums you buy are yours to keep forever. You can burn an individual song as many times as you like and the same songlist up to 7 times. You can copy your music to 3 computers, and transfer it to a compatible MP3 player an unlimited number of times.
I did read where it said if the music was on your pc and you cancel - it would no longer be playable. BUT- if it's on a cd or MP3 player, it has to be able to work after you cancel. Once it's on an mp3 player - it's yours. It's not like you're validating songs from an mp3 player to napster when you listen. On the pc though - I can see how it probably connects to the net to verify your subscription and denys you if you are no longer a member.

I'd just email their service and ask?

· Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
webby said:
hmmm I didn't know that about napster either.

I just read through their FAQS - look at this though.

I did read where it said if the music was on your pc and you cancel - it would no longer be playable. BUT- if it's on a cd or MP3 player, it has to be able to work after you cancel. Once it's on an mp3 player - it's yours. It's not like you're validating songs from an mp3 player to napster when you listen. On the pc though - I can see how it probably connects to the net to verify your subscription and denys you if you are no longer a member.

I'd just email their service and ask?
Yea i sent them a email this morn, ill post in here if napster is compatable with the ipod,
im looking at the 8gb ipod nano black

thing is sick looking, fit real nicely in my si dash with the honda link kit
:D :D :D :laughing: :laughing: :D :D :D

· Registered
250 Posts
Let us know what you find out about Napster. As for $.99/song, I think that's fair... if you're looking for individual songs to buy. Most of the time, a cd only has 1 or 2 good songs on it anyway. If I like most of the songs on a cd, I go out and buy the physical cd. If there's only 1 or 2 i like, I buy them from iTunes. If they're not on iTunes, i use other methods. ;)

· Registered
79 Posts
I have to agree. $.99 isn't bad for a single song. I use iTunes. If I liked the entire or most of a cd I'd go buy the cd. I understand the delemia though. $15 a month for unlimited download is a great deal. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

· Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well heres the deal.
The only way to get music from napster onto the ipod is by burning the napster songs onto a cd, then taking the songs off the cd and into itunes, and load on the ipod...
A lil bit of a pain, but... i can deal with that.

chibianh whats your other methods?
theres soo many songs i had way back on napster that were unreleased.. i miss them SOOO much!!

· Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
***Last update on this Ish***

downloading all music legally now is really annoying.
Well napster will let u put them into one of their comp mp3 players with the 14.95 membership at no charge,
but since i want to go with the ipod so i can connect to the civic, u will need to burn to a disk- as i stated in above post^^^..
Well once u decide to burn a disk, napster charges you $.99 a song ontop of the 14.95 a month..
Is this retarded or is it just me?
Fuq a ipod and Fuq napster as far as im concerned...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.