8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

OK lets begin.
Now keep in mind that i am getting paid to install my fog lights, today only two mechanics decided to show up, out of 6 so it was slow and gave me time to do the work.

this is the atomicstreet(Gowd dam [email protected]#$ son of A... GERRR... ASS PIRET!!!!) and the hid is a pilot w/3000k bulb.

step one was ripping apart th lower portion of the dash. All i took off was the part with the cubby under the steering shaft and not the dead peday and the part next to it... I took off the three large connectors above the fuses and pluged in the ONE SOLID RED WIRE into the white middle harness under the brown wire...

then grounded the relay on "that" stud over the knee bolster. blah blah blah, its all been done before, BUT!!! Mine came with a passthrough harness that plugs into the fuse box just under the three plugs and above the fuses, it plugged right in extending the plug out, pretty cool...

SOOOO.... on to phase two, the fog lights, i cut out the slugs to fit my new lights useing a utility knife that i stole from one of my mechanics...

Here is th bumper on my "Bumper stand"(oil barral with a bag or rags cushening it)

and what the car looks like with... umm... nothing on it, show off the ebay headlights well though...

It took some time to figure out where to put the balasts, and i decided to go against the flow and mount them to the bumper as they dont get hot, they only go to 80-90 degrees. i bent the brakets to the exact contour of the bumper and bent the one tab up to hold the wire up.

I used super strong 3m double sided tape from our bodyshop(I love working here) the white squares are wire tie holders that are insanly sticky, i used 8-10 of them total to keep things neat, and about 100 zip ties :D also free :p

I relocated my headlight balasts at the same time, they where in the engine bay but i moved them to a beter location. this is where i put the drivers side

and the pasanger side, this one im proud of... Its double sided taped on with a 15mm wide zip tie holding it inplace thats also double sided taped to the balast so it doesnt slip off...

also shows you the headlight better...

TEST!!!

And it worked, but the light is green???

and all put together

I will update with more pics and for now im disapointed with the light output...

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OH... also i modded the fog light switch...

original :(

with that light bulb removed and the led in its place, looks odd i know but in the car it looks cool...

and a better picture of whats going on...

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
will do, but the fog lights are kinda spread out, they are more on the sides then on the road, good but a bit disapointing....

what do you guys think of the ballast mointing points?

·
Banned
2,384 Posts
It doesnt matter where you mount your ballast. Just stay away from water. I have both of my fogs and my headlights hooked to my bumper .

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what resistance resistor did you use for the LED mod? I like it and wanna try it :] Also what v LED did you use haha
its a 660 ohm resistor but its distracting so im going to rip it out and replace it with a 1k resistor, problem is that all i have is 66000mcd blues, a 10kmcd or lower defused would have been better but whatcha gonna do, also the backlighting on the switch is brown??? wtf is that, im going to have to make that blue also or red????...

and maybe the rest of the dash too...

there isnt going to be any water getting to it. also i used almost 1/2 a tube of dielectric grease on all conection... and i mean everything is packed with some quality grote di-elestric drease...

also i will post cutoffs tomarow, be brother just finished the remont button for the camera... he needed to play with the settings...

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ummm... i mis-read the auction, if i was to do it againi would have gotten 8000k..., but till they burn out i like the colour.

here is a shot before i set out to deliver my mommie some coffee at work, at 2am(any excuse to drive around with my new fog lights on)...
fog lights off...

and them on...

and some behind a wherehouse(only light wall i could find)

ands the headlights off...

and look at this colour, its freaking awsome....

and some profile shots...

all in all im pisssed off... these are 3000k bulbs dammit... and the light should have been yellow not green, i didnt know that the lenses where tinted blue, i thought it was yellow light that they would have cast with regular bulbs...

Yery disapointing...

BUT they are aimed properly and produce little light, im almost goping that they break, but i love the look of them durring the daytime, well plan B is to use the h11 projectors that i also have laying around and use regular bulbs in these... Or to yake off the lenses replace them with clear and use these as remvable covers...

and the pictures came out awsome.... Canon Digital rebel on a tripod with a remont switch. some are almost background worthy, i had to reduce the quality for here though...

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think that the blue tinting might be canceling out the yellow, and therefor might be heating up alot and may lead to premature cracking, melting or bulb failure... there is no other excuse for the almost no light output... this makes me very angry... almost angry enough to kick them off the car, i think that light output is more important then looks...

what are your guys thoughts???

·
Premium Member
5,368 Posts
The passenger's side projector is misaligned and is blinding oncoming traffic. Is there a way that you can rotate the projector and force it level?

Also the pretzel glare looks dangerous! I'd be cautious about driving with oncoming traffic on unlit roads.

3000K has a greenish cast to it. That's just how it warms up and how it works.

·
Registered
12,543 Posts
^ nah the aiming is fine since they're really low. However, rotational aiming is off but yeah those ghost spots on the projectors are really annoying.

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
those ghost casts are bounced off of the chrome housing, and i have driven my brothers car while he drives my car and i have to say that is actually no bother. the drivers side light is actually pointed down a bit and the passenger side is pointed like it should.

the rotation is a bit off, but to fix this i would have to crack the housing, there isnt a adjusting screw there for rotation, just left to right and up/down... and the driver side is currently broken awaiting a more pertinent fix... the spring broke through the housing and popped out forcing the light to the ground, but its temporally fixed with a hard plastic epoxy

I love some of these pictures, but i wish that i had washed my car first.

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
got a pic of the button and the light mod... do you guys think i should change the top light to blue too???

shots from my new phone :D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts