8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone confirm that this is the wiper stalk for the EX? I'm thinking about trying to install this on my car - not sure how involved it will be. The single-setting intermittent delay is TOO LONG!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok I did a google search and this is the most logical thread I found to help assist others.

First... the customary disclaimer. If you screw up your car because you attempt this and are unsuccessful I am not liable in any way so with that out of the way let's get on with the mod...

This mod has been done successfully in our neck of the woods (SE Asia).

Get the Combination Switch that has Variable Intermittent Wiper from your honda dealer. Order Honda Part # 35256-SNA-A11. It should look something like this (original stalk underneath for comparison). Some models of the combination switch may feature fancy icons or say INT TIME vs AUTO but they all work similarly.

Arm yourself with the latest Honda Civic Service Manual because you will need to do some disassembly. Right click on the link and Save the file :)

First we need to install the new combination switch. So follow this sequence

1. Driver's Dashboard Lower Cover Removal/Installation. From the PDF file it's section 20-102 or in Adobe Acrobat jump to page 1779.

2. Column Cover Removal and Installation. From the PDF file it's section 17-9 or in Adobe Acrobat it's page 1331

3. Wiper/Washer Switch Replacement. Section 22-234 or page 2184 in Adobe Acrobat.

Once you've done that now comes the MOD to make it work. Here's the diagram of the new Combination Switch;

Scrounging around the office, I found an old busted ATX power supply for desktop PCs

It's the power connector to old ancient 1.44Mb disk drives that I found worked perfectly.

Here it is installed in Pin 8 of the combination stalk. Very snug.

And here's the assembled plug (Yellow wire is on Pin 8) and installed.

Now the hard part...

That new wire has to be connected to Connector S pin 6 on the Under-dash Fuse/Relay Box (also called the MICU)

And this part of the MICU is the exact location of which connector we need to run the wire to.

Here's the sequence that I did.

1. Disconnect the Battery

2. Trim Removal/Installation - Front Door Sill Area. Section 20-66. In acrobat it's page 1742. You'll need to free up some space for the wire harnesses to allow you to remove the fuse/relay box. I tried to avoid this step but it was just too tight without doing it.

3. Under-dash Fuse/Relay Box Removal/Installation. Section 22-66. In Acrobat it's page 2012.

Here's a picture of the MICU once removed.

Here is the picture of the BACK of the MICU where you need to connect a wire.

For the connector. I used the black wire used to connect speakers to motherboards. You also find these to connect old PC soundblaster cards.

Please take your time getting this part to work properly because it's really annoying to have to do it again (I did). The connector had some barbs that I had to sand away to make sure it would go ALL THE WAY IN. Don't force it...

Keep sanding the connectors sides so it's smooth enough to be able to go in and you can still reasonably pull it out without excessive force. Once it's all the way in, use a ziptie to secure it to the existing harness. This will make sure it doesn't back out when you put the connector back in the MICU.

Here'a picture of my 2nd attempt (it's the WHITE wire);

The only way to test it is to re-install everything except for the plastic trim pieces you removed but my test worked.

On INT with the car parked

Slowest - 20ish seconds between wipes
Middle (Auto) - 13ish seconds
Fastest - 8 seconds

It's supposed to work even better once you're actually using them at speed but if you get it wrong the 1st time. The intermittent time between wipes is constant so make sure you get different intermittent times before you close it all up.

Cheers :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
The nice thing living where I do now is it's the heart of the monsoon season so it's a great mod if you live where it rains a lot.

I just tested it and it works even better in real world scenarios.

LOWEST - good for a drizzle.

MIDDLE - acts like your standard intermittent wiper on a unmodified Civic. Good for driving in rain in crowded streets.

HIGH - Once it starts to pour I set the ring on the highest setting it's like the unmodified intermittent wiper (8 seconds between wipes) BUT once I get up to speed (above 20kph) it starts to wipe constantly. It's like setting the wiper to low (not intermittent) without having to touch the wiper stalk. This is the speed sensing mode.

Common to ALL the settings. Once you stop (letsay in a intersection), the wiper goes back to intermittent BUT the moment you step of the brake, it will wipe once to clear the windshield to make sure your view is unobstructed.

Cool Mod and worth the effort for Civics (or Honda Fit) that doesn't have it.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
nice write up and A+ for the effort.

Im a control freak and I rather have my wipers wipe when I want them to wipe. All it takes is a flip of the finger. I got A/T :p

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Dave D - quick question. Is the pin on the back of the MICU pin #6? So it would be pin S6 on the connector? I just finished the mod & not 100% sure I got it right. Didn't see this pin # called out in your instructions.

Dave

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dave D - quick question. Is the pin on the back of the MICU pin #6? So it would be pin S6 on the connector? I just finished the mod & not 100% sure I got it right. Didn't see this pin # called out in your instructions.

Dave
Yup it's Pin #6 on Connector S :)

I checked my post and I mentioned it there;

"That new wire has to be connected to Connector S pin 6 on the Under-dash Fuse/Relay Box (also called the MICU)"

Good Luck :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:punch:

D'oh! That what happens when you get old!

Thanks for pointing this out.

Yup it's Pin #6 on Connector S :)

I checked my post and I mentioned it there;

"That new wire has to be connected to Connector S pin 6 on the Under-dash Fuse/Relay Box (also called the MICU)"

Good Luck :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did this mod last Saturday - took me about 4.5 hours to complete. I used the exact connectors as Dave_D suggested, but on the MICU end, I drilled out the connector and attached the wire to the rear of the MICU first, then pushed the connector back onto the MICU, allowing the wire & metal connector to slide into the connector "S" plug.

You've really got to want this mod to do it - unplugging all the connectors from the MICU isn't fun, as it's cramped & hard to access. Still haven't driven it in the rain yet. Just be prepared that you'll be at this for awhile if you're going to do it. My 2 cents.....

Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is there anybody who can tell me how to remove wiper arm- do I have to pull it from the part no 8 from the photo?? or first i have to remove steering wheel and part no 8 and next wiper arm.
I dont have service manual and in EU they dont have idea how to remove it- thx for reponse

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
marcelkr,

You do not have to remove the steering wheel, only the shroud (parts 1 & 2) then I believe there are 1 or 2 screws that hold the wiper stalk in place. It slides out of part 8 & there is 1 electrical connector that you unplug.

This is the easy part of the modification. ;-)

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I plan on making this one of the must do items. Having variable delay is great & the complex timing system sounds even better.

My idea is getting a multi-connector plug with short length of wires attached from a harness going to under dash fuse box at the junkyard. I will remove the metal connector pin & wire from the connector and attach length of wire to reach wiper switch, I think another removed terminal will also work at the switch connection. If everything goes right they may lock in to the connector housings once inserted.

The prices are good on the stalks as well, variable delay was one of the 1st things I did to my 05 LX it was plug & play, this is only a single wire.

Thanks to those who contributed to this modifications research btw.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I picked up my new switch today and almost cried when I saw the small size of the connector pins... I looked at my original 05 switch and the pins are wider, then I found one of the small black flat computer connectors shown in the pix & cut it apart. The pins fit the switch contact pins very nicely. They are a very small diameter. Whew.

From what I saw the yellow wires connector pin and the black wires connector pin looked to be different ??
Maybe the yellow wire came from one of the larger white connectors it looks different

Anyone know if the pins for the back connectors are the small diameter like the switch ?? or are they the wider terminals Honda uses ??

Getting closer & closer on this try to get everything assembled before taking it on.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide on this.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Very cool. I've already swapped out the Instrument wiring harness and MICU for the EXs (from a DX-VP) for other mods. So $17 for a switch definitely makes this a worthwhile mod.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Part way there, I have the new switch in place & the single wire to pin 8 of the switches connector.

The column cover has 3 screw underneath, then press in on the flat portion of the lower cover nearest the back of the wheel, it will release the latch with the top then work back each side and lift to pivot out.

The potentiometer used is a 1k so you can check your connection by using an ohm meter measuring to ground, with the knob at center you will get 300-600 ohms if connection is good.

For the connection I used the more rectangle shaped pin extracted from a computer cable. With the switch connector in place in the new switch I simply pressed it into the # 8 slot on back of the connector and over the pin of the switch (you will need to turn long side of connector to match long side of pin inside switch) I taped the wire to the other harness wires so it stays put. Routed along the large loom on the right side, leave some length to allow the telescopic movement.

hth

1 - 20 of 39 Posts