8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 civic si, with intermittent start issues, happening more frequently recently and I find weather has a big impact (cold) and dome lights will dim when cranking - 15 or more Celsius. has a year n half old battery that measures 12.6 v and 14 ish when running, and a new wire from battery to starter and positive terminal. Any ideas where I should look first? Grounds? Starter? Battery?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I will also add that when the problem occurs it won't make any noise when trying to start it except for a delayed click,, and strangely figured out that it helps everytime if I rock back n forth in my seat a few times and then start the car it will crank over

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes indeed. I have the same identical issue with my '07 Si sedan. Battery is good, lights good, same normal sounds when starting the car, nothing out of the ordinary. When colder outside, it won't turn On but if warm day, not an issue. Also the same, rock the driver's seat and the car turns On. What the hell is going on????? 🤔🤔

We need HELP on this please!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All my grounds seem clean and tight as well... With a new negative battery terminal ground. I suspect it could be a battery since Reviews for the one I have when I bought car are not good (motomaster Canadian tire battery) so I may try replacing it anyway for preventative maitenance.

If that makes no difference, I'll Move on to the starter and will fill you in. I've read that prolonged bad starter can damage a battery vice versa

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting, maybe the problem is under the dash? It can't be the clutch switch because I've already tried 2 of them. I wonder if it has anything to do with wiring to the ignition switch... I have what looks like a security system hooked up a little black box says Honda on it under the steering wheel

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I put a new battery and a starter into it... It had a junkyard Denso starter. Replaced with a bosch one. Same problem. Dash lights Flicker when turning over. Might be defective battery, if not I am going to move on to the aftermarket alarm system

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the starter replaced at Honda and my car so far starts up like a charm. Still having pretty significant flickering of headlights and I had my radio shut off once while driving. I’m wondering if having the starter issues for so long wore my battery out but I don’t really feel like purchasing a new one at this point. I’ll report back if issues continue after the starter was replaced.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It still takes a couple turns to start, definitely not as bad as before but still enough to worry me, do you have an aftermarket alarm in your car

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don’t have the after market alarm. After having the alternator and starter replaced My radio will shut off intermittently and I have pretty significant headlight flicker.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay I see,i too need an alternator soon mine is making bearing noises, I don't have an issue with electronics shutting off or flickering while driving, just when the engine turns over. I'm going to guess that you need an ignition switch, or battery I'm going to check my switch maybe it's on the way out this ignition problem is driving me nuts 😂

·
Registered
1 Posts
Likely the starter. Same thing happened to wife’s 08 Civic. Every so often wouldn’t turn over. Keep trying and it would. Repacked starter and problem solved. Was the original that lasted 9 years.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just replaced starter, Im thinking either the ignition switch or remote starter that I have hooked up in this car, I might attempt to remove it since It came with the car and had no remote so I don't use it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts