8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing a DIY for interior lighting in the footwells, I decided to give it a shot. Now, since I pulled information from various places, thats the reason for a new thread... I dont want to askt he same things multiple places.

Anyways, the DIY writer said that he tapped into fuse #14 which was the headlights. However, in the 'FUSE GUIDE' thread.. the following info has provided.

tomasro said:
so which one is the map light fuse? Is it the "interior light" fuse location?
unplugged said:
14. 7.5A - Small Lights (Int)
However, I would rather have them come on with the dome light between the headrests. So... having them come on with the headlights is an 'ok' temporary solution, especially since I rigged up a switch so I could turn them off manually.

I would still like to have these lights tapped into the light above/between the headrests, such that the lights come on when they do... ie: when i open the doors, then they fade out, etc etc.

I tested a few different options while trying to figure this out, and Fuse 14 and 15 appear to be one in the same. Both were only activated when I turned the Headlight knob one click forward. However, I dont understand how this should be happening.

Fuse 14 - 7.5 - Small Light (Int)
Fuse 15 - 7.5 - Small Light (Ext)

How are the headlights activated when the headlights are on the exterior? And furthermore... how come both fuses do the same thing?

Upon further research, it appears that the fuse for the light I am wanting to tap into is the #22 fuse which is actually under the hood. Has anyone been able to sucessfully tap into this dome light?

And one last question, what does the '7.5' or '10' or '20' stand for on the fuses?

Thanks for any and all help.

·
Registered
17,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
taz1328 said:
I did it. I followed this pic from a DIY:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/peliROJO/IntLights/IntLights018edit.jpg

Just tap into the pink/grey and blue/grey wires and the lights will come on when the doors are open and will fade off when the car is turned on.

EDIT: hmm...I guess I don't know how to put pictures on here... :(
Thanks!!... Ill take a look at it tonight. Do you know offhand if each of those wires represent the ground and the 'hot' wire? Or are the both 'hot' and you still need a ground?

I'd generally rather do it via tapping directly into a fuse... but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Hmm, upon looking at that more, I cant help but think that the fusebox for the Si and the EX/LX/DX are mounted differently under the dash. Min was terribly hard to get at (EX)... and that one seems very easy. Is it really that easy or did the person find a way to pull it down for easier access?

Also, for future reference... to display pictures, put link to picture[*img] only, replace the * with a / (had to use a * so my text would show up.

Example:
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/peliROJO/IntLights/IntLights018edit.jpg[*img]

when * replaced with /... it becomes:

[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/peliROJO/IntLights/IntLights018edit.jpg

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Thanks for letting me know how to do the pictures!

I froget which wire is which...but I know that one of them is hot and the other is a moving ground. The moving ground allows for the lights to dim off when they go off. If you test the voltage, both of them could be at 12V...so you'll actually read 0V. That got me really confused when I was trying to figure out which wire was which.

EDIT:
I have an LX and it was pretty easy to get to. Mine looked pretty much like the one in the picture. It was under the steering wheel and to the left. You can pull off the panel under the steering wheel. There are just a few clips holding that piece in there...so it should come off pretty easily.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
17,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
taz1328 said:
Thanks for letting me know how to do the pictures!

I froget which wire is which...but I know that one of them is hot and the other is a moving ground. The moving ground allows for the lights to dim off when they go off. If you test the voltage, both of them could be at 12V...so you'll actually read 0V. That got me really confused when I was trying to figure out which wire was which.

EDIT:
I have an LX and it was pretty easy to get to. Mine looked pretty much like the one in the picture. It was under the steering wheel and to the left. You can pull off the panel under the steering wheel. There are just a few clips holding that piece in there...so it should come off pretty easily.

Hope that helps!
Youre welcomed :vtec:

Ahh, ok, i was wondering what happened to allow the dimming effect. Im just learning wiring and whatnot.

As for being easy to get at, I dont really see how that panel would make it easier to access the fuses... but maybe Ill take another look at it tonight. I actually used that panel for my 'hidden' switch. Mine is like under the dash but it seems tucked up behind the panelt hat has the 'change pocket' on it. I can really on get at the bottom row, and the far (closer to engine) half of the second row without really having to contort my fingers/hands.

I too the panel off, and taped the switch into the back side of one of the holes in that panel. Very simple :thumb:

I dont have anything to test the voltage... so Ill try to figure it out via some research. If you think of anything or remember which is which... let me know.

Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts