8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we built the civic online, we found that the accessories were much cheaper than the dealer. For example, the interior illumination kit was around $100, but the dealership requested $300.

We currently have a civic ex w/ Navi and are thinking about purchasing the interior illumination kit (OEM) and installing it ourselves. I have found it for $80 with an instruction manual. I have attached a link with the the installation instructions and a photos of the finished result.

I would like some input from others who have either:
-1) Had the kit factory installed at the dealer
---a) what price?
---b) How does it look?
-2) Have already, or are planning to, install the kit on their own.
-3) Know anything about this kit that could aid me in making a better decision.

I would like to hear other's opinions and suggestions.

PICTURES WILL BE UP SOON!

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
that price could be installed?

i wouldn't waste your money. Go buy a bunch of small led's - sometimes they sell a kit similar to the Honda and wire it yourself - much much cheaper and same results.

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
I know some other members have had it installed. I'm not sure what they paid. Hopefully they will chime in.

As far as buying it - I'd personally go with college hills honda if you're buying from a dealer. They tend to be one of the best at pricing for honda oem stuff. If you can find a better deal - contact Paul at college hills honda and see what they can do for ya.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I'm looking into changing the LEDs for Blue to Red. I ordered a set from a Electronics parts dealer and now going to test to see how they work and look. Will post when done. Aloha.

·
Registered
388 Posts
acetech808 said:
I'm looking into changing the LEDs for Blue to Red. I ordered a set from a Electronics parts dealer and now going to test to see how they work and look. Will post when done. Aloha.
Were you able to change them?

·
Registered
662 Posts
I got the DIY instructions from kicker (member on this forum) and purchased aftermarket LEDs. The total spent was about 20-25 bucks including shipping, wires, and rocker switch. I've been meaning to get pics up but have been so busy lately. It looks awesome at night and I installed them a little differently than what the DIY said. I have it running in an empty slot of the fuse box and the negative wire is attached to the body (hidden by the side moding). The switch was attached to the underbody of the steering wheel console and looks like it's stock, pretty clean install (thanks to my dad's craftiness).

·
Registered
662 Posts
Oh, yeah, I also suggest NOT purchasing the factory interiors as the price is absurdly high and you supposedly can't run these if you have fog lights installed. i don't know if you have or plan to get fogs, but I have them installed and wanted a workaround for the issue of using both at once and kicker's DIY helped me get the LEDs to run nicely.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Go buy a couple small neon tubes from any accessory store, wiring, and a switch. You can get it all for $30 or less. Its also really easy to install, shouldn't be hard to find a DIY.

Neons will give you a nice glowing effect while LEDs create hotspots where the light is so intense in spots that it looks white instead of a nice even glow like a neon.:thumb:

·
Registered
5 Posts
acetech808 said:
i bot a 07 si with the interior illumination kit installed and would now like to change from blue to red illumination. are u in the same situation? can u show me how u plan on changing the LEDS and where u got the parts from? thanks.

·
Purpul Plane 4ever!
40,686 Posts
wow, this thread is super super old. Im sure you wont get a responce.

look for the date on the thread so you know its current.

·
Registered
5 Posts
yeh im kinda new to this forum, actuali its my first time on any forum. thnxs for the pointer though, cuz im reali anxious for an answer. the BLUE interior lighting with the RED si dash is killing me.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi I have the answer to ur problem

I was kind of in the same boat as well.

I bought the factory illumination, but once i got it i thought it was crap.

Damn things werent bright enough! and u can barely see them.

Anyways, i went to ebay, and bought a couple of 12 inch led tubes, and they were super bright, and im so satisfied by them.

Anyways, to do the whole replace things, all u got to do is cut off the factory ones and leave the wire. Just strip the wire off from the factory ones and the new ones u bought, and just twist the 2 wires together to join them. and it works perfectly like that.

Oh and as for the whole bull **** with Honda saying u cant have foglights and interior lights together installed, thats bull!

Its cool how i set it up, works like this.

I got 2 switches, 1 being the standard foglight switch, the other being the led switch, which i keep under the dash. Anyways, the two are connected.

Say i only want the fogs, i just turn off the led's. and say i only want the led's, i just unpress the fog button. In other words, both lights are connected to my headlights trigger. way better then how Honda does it

·
Registered
5 Posts
yeh honda reali dropped the ball on this one. i admit that i should have done more research but i just assumed the honda would have put in red LEDS. anyways, ur solution definitely seems the most practical and cheap. im stil deciding what shade of red i want and how much lighting i want under the dash. do u have any pictures of ur red LEDS in action??? thnxs

·
Premium Member
19,670 Posts
i have the honda kit and i like it, its not too bright but its a nice accent.

the picture is slightly overexposed but it gives you an idea

·
Registered
5 Posts
SAE_10W30 said:
Hi I have the answer to ur problem

I was kind of in the same boat as well.

I bought the factory illumination, but once i got it i thought it was crap.

Damn things werent bright enough! and u can barely see them.

Anyways, i went to ebay, and bought a couple of 12 inch led tubes, and they were super bright, and im so satisfied by them.

Anyways, to do the whole replace things, all u got to do is cut off the factory ones and leave the wire. Just strip the wire off from the factory ones and the new ones u bought, and just twist the 2 wires together to join them. and it works perfectly like that.

Oh and as for the whole bull **** with Honda saying u cant have foglights and interior lights together installed, thats bull!

Its cool how i set it up, works like this.

I got 2 switches, 1 being the standard foglight switch, the other being the led switch, which i keep under the dash. Anyways, the two are connected.

Say i only want the fogs, i just turn off the led's. and say i only want the led's, i just unpress the fog button. In other words, both lights are connected to my headlights trigger. way better then how Honda does it
so when u unscrewed the honda lights out from under the dash, u had to take apart parts of the dash and get in behind there to remove the nut??

·
Registered
80 Posts
well if u look close, the parts that u remove actually belong to the illumination kit.

and yes u have to get the bolt out i beleive. anything u got to do, to get a good stretch of wire and to get out those little pod lights.

If ur not comfortable, just take it to Honda, and tell them what u want. they will just charge u for labour time.

Its like a 15 minute thing. trust me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts