8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
I need to move to Turkmenistan (wherever that is). $0.03 for a liter of gas sounds pretty good to me.

But seriously, if I average 11,600 miles per year, that's 31.8 miles per day. My truck gets ~14 mpg, so I'm using about 2.27 gallons per day. At an average of $3.10/gallon, I'm spending about $7 a day on gas. I need to ride my bike more often.

A lot of experts believe we're hitting peak oil production about right now. If that's true, we're going to see some big increases in gas prices soon.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
that's pretty interesting. According to their system I spend about $2,000 a year on gas. Not too bad considering I drive nearly double the average, at about 20,000 a year. Plus I also pay more where I live.

if I had a Prius, that number would be $1200 a year. damn, I need to get a Prius

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that's pretty interesting. According to their system I spend about $2,000 a year on gas. Not too bad considering I drive nearly double the average, at about 20,000 a year. Plus I also pay more where I live.

if I had a Prius, that number would be $1200 a year. damn, I need to get a Prius
Is the $800/year savings worth the extra $20-$30k it'd cost to get a Prius?

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
Nope, it's not. I don't think any hybrid is worth the extra. Doesn't it take 20 years to pay itself off, and by that time, the expensive batteries will need to be replaced.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Yeah but getting 53 on one road trip isn't the same as getting 50 steadily over a long period of time. I've gotten 48 in the civic before, but that's nowhere near what I average.

I dont really care if you guys like hybrids or not, im just saying that cutting my gas bill practically in half sounds great.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I would have never thought the lambo got 8mpg
Really? Large displacement engines...especially ones that push insane HP tend to get really bad gas mileage. No Ferrari, Bentley, Lambo, etc get even remotely decent mileage.

It's why I think those on here who bad mouth American sports cars as "gas guzzlers" are usually contradicting themselves, as they'll rant and rave about how cool a Ferrari or Lambo is and it gets exponentially worse gas mileage.

Or that a VQ engine gets about the same mileage as most American V8s...but they never think that as it's Japanese so it MUST get amazing gas mileage right?

·
Registered
773 Posts
I need to move to Turkmenistan (wherever that is). $0.03 for a liter of gas sounds pretty good to me.

But seriously, if I average 11,600 miles per year, that's 31.8 miles per day. My truck gets ~14 mpg, so I'm using about 2.27 gallons per day. At an average of $3.10/gallon, I'm spending about $7 a day on gas. I need to ride my bike more often.

A lot of experts believe we're hitting peak oil production about right now. If that's true, we're going to see some big increases in gas prices soon.
A lot of "experts" have been saying that about oil since the 1950s, and about growth in general since Malthus in the 1820's. Strangely, it hasn't happened, and we are finally learning how to get at the what, 3 trillion TONS of oil shale out west?

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
Interesting read.

I wish they would include all the other shiet associated with owning and driving a car for say 100,000 miles (Besides gas, various engine oils, tires, insurance, monthly payments, car washes, random car products, overall car maintenance, labor, etc, etc)

Owning and driving a car in today's time takes a full time job all in itself. :facepalm:

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
A lot of "experts" have been saying that about oil since the 1950s, and about growth in general since Malthus in the 1820's. Strangely, it hasn't happened, and we are finally learning how to get at the what, 3 trillion TONS of oil shale out west?
You mean like Dr. Hubbart that predicted the US oil peak in the early 1970's? Yep, and he was correct within a couple of months.

If you look at oil discoveries in the US and the plot them next to oil production, you'll see two peaks with the oil production curve following the discovery curve.

The US has long since past it's oil production peak. Other counties have shown a decline in oil production as well. The three last major oil finds in the world were in 1968, 69 and 70. The world has long since past it's oil discovery peak. The chances that we've missed some major oil field aren't that great any more. It's only a matter of time when oil production peaks and the price of oil exponentially increases. Countries like China and India who are using exponentially more oil every year are just going to speed up the process faster than it's already going.

Extracting oil from oil shale only means we're starting to run out of the easy stuff.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts