8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, the more I read about changing my MTF (I have an R18) the more worried I'm becoming of long term problems. From what I've gathered, changing the MTF to something like AMSOIL helps smooth the shifting but there are many arguments regarding it's lasting effects on the metal. I'm interested in everyone's long term results (more than 2 years). Is your transmission still working fine? Are shifts still smooth? Are the gears wearing out prematurely? Thanks.

Please do not specifically talk about the third gear grinding issue for SI owners. I'm more interested in R18 owners but the more info the better.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My cousin in Fullerton, CA has an 06 R18 coupe that I got to drive for a week while I was visiting, and I liked it so much that I ended up buying an 08 for myself. His car shifted like butter with Amsoil Synchromesh MTF. Anyway, he took his Civic to the dealership last summer since it was shifting rough. I don't think he ever beat on that car, but the synchros were shot. He was fortunate that HOA replaced them under warranty.

Take it with a grain of salt. I don't know whether the Amsoil MTF caused the damage, but I'll probably use Honda fluid when it comes time to do a drain/fill on my own R18.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow that's enough to scare me away from using Amsoil. Did your cousin say anything about his transmission after he got his synchros fixed? Is it still smooth? ..is he still using Amsoil?

·
Hidy Ho Neighbor
29,707 Posts
My cousin in Fullerton, CA has an 06 R18 coupe that I got to drive for a week while I was visiting, and I liked it so much that I ended up buying an 08 for myself. His car shifted like butter with Amsoil Synchromesh MTF. Anyway, he took his Civic to the dealership last summer since it was shifting rough. I don't think he ever beat on that car, but the synchros were shot. He was fortunate that HOA replaced them under warranty.

Take it with a grain of salt. I don't know whether the Amsoil MTF caused the damage, but I'll probably use Honda fluid when it comes time to do a drain/fill on my own R18.
Had he gotten the TSB fix prior to this incident?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts