8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the metro DC area and over a year ago I went to this sponsored event by Lexus at a track in WV. I got to do a lead and follow in an IS-F and they had some professional drivers (mine was Mario Andretti's son, really cool guy) show us some basics. After that, I was hooked.

I own a V36 Infiniti G35 Sport sedan and would like to get involved in auto-x. The car is stock and I plan on keeping it that way.

Questions, who do I contact to get info? How's the basic layout when they separate you into classes? Do they do anything for newb drivers like myself? How much does it cost to get into auto-x?

TIA

·
Registered
222 Posts
SCCA - Sports Car Club of America

Check out the SCCA webpage to find the closest region.

Just show up to an event with a motorcycle helmet, $25, and made sure you're running about 38-40 psi in each tire on your G35.

Every club has a Novice class and experienced drivers would love to help and ride along (they get to see the course which is advantageous to them ;).

-Matt

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SCCA - Sports Car Club of America

Check out the SCCA webpage to find the closest region.

Just show up to an event with a motorcycle helmet, $25, and made sure you're running about 38-40 psi in each tire on your G35.

Every club has a Novice class and experienced drivers would love to help and ride along (they get to see the course which is advantageous to them ;).

-Matt
lol nice, thanks for the info.

As for motorcycle helmets, any recommended sites to visit to pick one up?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Check with your region first. A lot have loaner helmets that you can use.

Also my events run about $35 so I'd bring a bit more money than just $25 to be sure.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
The SCCA autocross school at Fed Ex is a great place to start. It will cost about $150(level 1) for the day. I went a couple months ago and had a blast! I got about 20 runs in for the day. When you go to an actual event you only get 4 runs.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Level 1 school is the way to go if you have the option, but WDCR (dc region scca) doesn't have any planned soon- they normally have a few in august or so though- keep an eye on the site Solo (Autocross).

Unfortunately, you picked kind of an awkward time to start, this weekend is the NE divisional, and the next event is the DC pro solo june 19-20. The pro would be worth coming out to watch for a bit, as there is going to be a ton of talent there. june 27th is the next WDCR event, so that's what I would shoot for in your situation. WDCR has a pretty great novice program, and are generally very accommodating to newbies if you don't act like an ass.

There are also other clubs like CDC and the BMWCCA, and some people really like them, though honestly, the lots are much smaller, and the events aren't as well organized, which can be pretty annoying. The talent pool is also much, much deeper at the big events- we have probably 30 or so national level drivers, and quite a few natl champs running locally.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Out of your area by a bit, but the site has alot of info and a fairly comprehensive schedule if you are willing to travel. Also at just about every NNJR event we put on a novice school/clinic..

AutoX4u.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts