8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay so i feel i must start this off by saying that i know very little about what im talking about
so my question to you all that know what your talking about
a short ram will provide more air but its hot air
and a cold air will give less air but its cooler
but some ppl are concerned with hydro lock
so i was thinking maybe just maybe you could do a short ram air
and then put a air to air intercooler down low in front of the radiator or whatever then up to the TB
so im thinkin in my mind that this might give you about the same power as a cai
but you would have to worry about hydrolock
is this a good idea
a doable idea
or just stupid
or has it been done
anyway
im not planning on changing my intake at all
im just curious

·
Registered
45 Posts
this one company used to have something like that, it looked retarded and for some reason didn't catch on. I think the general market thought it to be too ricey maybe, since it looked like a fake intercooler.

i think it would only as well as a cold air, maybe just a little better due to more surface area

·
Tuna Fiddle
19,256 Posts
I assume you mean something like this

Although you are going to run into the same problems as the CAI. You will get cold air but it is going to be much farther away from the tb. Also as stated above it does look completely stupid. Couple that with the fact that the ram air doesn't actually affect performance until 90 mph you have a recipe for failure.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how hard would it be to get/mod a hood the has a real scoop that went directly into a ram air and the only air it got was from the scoop and wasnt heat soaked

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Slowroll90 said:
how hard would it be to get/mod a hood the has a real scoop that went directly into a ram air and the only air it got was from the scoop and wasnt heat soaked
The thing is with a scoop you're gonna add more drag to the car and that extra hp that you'll make it gonna be useless because it's gonna cancel out.

·
Registered
13,652 Posts
twistedframe said:
I assume you mean something like this

Although you are going to run into the same problems as the CAI. You will get cold air but it is going to be much farther away from the tb. Also as stated above it does look completely stupid. Couple that with the fact that the ram air doesn't actually affect performance until 90 mph you have a recipe for failure.
I saw that intake on hp tv on the speed channel. yeah, it's pretty retarded looking. I still say cai ftw. I think people are putting too much thought into it. Either do the airbox mod or go cai. Just my 2cents.

·
Registered
281 Posts
ive got a killer idea for driving cooler air to a short ram, but im still designing right now. im trying to figure out how to prevent water/moisture from getting sucked in tho. but once i finish the design and apply it, ill thro a thread up. till then, all u SRI folks hold tight...

·
Registered
125 Posts
I live in the Oklahoma for gods sake... earlier this summer we had 26 days of rain out of 31 days in the month... everything was flooded and Ive driven a car that has a CAI for 7 years now.... ran through standing water 8+ inches high .... hydrolock is an idiots worry..Only stupid people dont realize what they are driving in and go through it anyway..I will never understand all the worries that people express with a CAI.

·
Registered
13,652 Posts
ensoniq said:
I live in the Oklahoma for gods sake... earlier this summer we had 26 days of rain out of 31 days in the month... everything was flooded and Ive driven a car that has a CAI for 7 years now.... ran through standing water 8+ inches high .... hydrolock is an idiots worry..Only stupid people dont realize what they are driving in and go through it anyway..I will never understand all the worries that people express with a CAI.
+1 rep. Well said man. :dancing: :thumb:

"Hey look, a stream........I can make it" 'end motor' :eek:hnoes:

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
xfactorwrx said:
my scoop works awsome... the intake pipe is always cool and im currently working on a heat shield for the fujita SRI
Are you the one with that crazy box hood scoop? Lets see pictures of yours.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
xfactorwrx said:
YEP!!!! :) ill post up some new pics... its still needs work but man does it work.

pics are up in a new thread http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51918
Man I know that thing works, I can just tell by looking at it. I wish you made it nicer looking, more subtle... I have an r18 and the intake goes the other way, maybe I can figure out something similar to yours.

·
Banned
1,459 Posts
black07coupe said:
Man I know that thing works, I can just tell by looking at it. I wish you made it nicer looking, more subtle... I have an r18 and the intake goes the other way, maybe I can figure out something similar to yours.
i have another in the works right now.. i have about 3 pastic cowl peices that i aquired but this it all i have time for at the moment. keep in mind i made that in about 1.5 hrs... haha

1 - 20 of 21 Posts