8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just a quick question regarding insurance coverage. Let's say, merely hypothetically, that you have a bunch of aftermarket parts that are ruined in a car accident. Let's also say that you are 0% at fault, ie. the person who hit you is 100% at fault.

Situation 1) Your car is damaged but repairable. What happens to the aftermarket parts that need to be replaced?

Situation 2) Your car is totaled and the insurance company gives you a cheque for your car. Is the value of the cheque adjusted for the price of the aftermarket parts?

Hopefully these questions are clear.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
10,506 Posts
ahammer13 said:
Hey all, just a quick question regarding insurance coverage. Let's say, merely hypothetically, that you have a bunch of aftermarket parts that are ruined in a car accident. Let's also say that you are 0% at fault, ie. the person who hit you is 100% at fault.

Situation 1) Your car is damaged but repairable. What happens to the aftermarket parts that need to be replaced?

Situation 2) Your car is totaled and the insurance company gives you a cheque for your car. Is the value of the cheque adjusted for the price of the aftermarket parts?

Hopefully these questions are clear.

Cheers!
I'm (or was) an insurance adjuster. The answer is if the other party causes the loss they are required to pay all of your damages...this would include aftermarket parts, the bottle of Jack in your trunk, etc...

If they are at fault and total your ride the same thing applies, but you will have more difficulty...in general.

The above applies to California...I imagine it's the same in all states though

·
Premium Member
98,627 Posts
Some insurance cover aftermarket parts. You have to add them into your policy by the value of the parts. Which will cost you extra.

·
Premium Member
10,506 Posts
Zeuceone said:
Some insurance cover aftermarket parts. You have to add them into your policy by the value of the parts. Which will cost you extra.
This is true, but he is referring to the other party being at fault (just added this so the OP isn't confused.)

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Depends on the insurance company. I've heard of some companies leaving people with mods high and dry if their car was totalled -- no matter who was at fault.

I've had other stories of the companies bitched and moaned, but pushed out a little extra cash providing you had proof you had these items on your car (pics, reciepts, etc.)

I'd say that if you got a lot of expensive mods (i/h/e, SC or turbo, ice, etc), GET THEM INSURED. It sucks to pay extra, but I'd rather pay a few extra bucks a month for the peace of mind that if anything happened, I'd be covered. If you just have a few random mods that don't total much (less than $1000 or so) I would probably take my chances, too. Tint and some HIDs is a lot cheaper to replace than the $200 or more you'd pay to the insurance company over the course of two years.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great, and thanks for the quick replies. I am then assuming that if you get the parts insured and you are at fault then the insurance company will cover them just like always.

The ultimate question regarding headers: as they are illegal would they be insurable? Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
10,506 Posts
ahammer13 said:
Great, and thanks for the quick replies. I am then assuming that if you get the parts insured and you are at fault then the insurance company will cover them just like always.

The ultimate question regarding headers: as they are illegal would they be insurable? Thanks again.
I would not tell your insurance about a race header...I'm not sure if they would care or not...just doesn't seem like a good idea to me...

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
since most aftermarket parts are actually cheaper than the factory replacement parts, it prolly would benefit you to keep your factory parts and if you get wrecked, get a check from your insurance then put the factory parts back on yourself. jst my opinion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts