8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off: The information provided below is not intended to substitute that of legal advice provided by an attorney! 8thcivic.com, it's owner(s), and myself will not be held responsible for any legal issues arising out of the use of the below information!

This information is provided for informational purposes only!

Ok, now, with that said, I worked in the auto insurance industry for nearly 5 years, up to and including litigation capacities. I feel I am fairly qualified to provide you with the below info...

Feel free to PM me any questions you might have or post up in this thread and I will answer it to the best of my ability. I have helped out several members on this site with insurance related issues before and am willing to continue doing so.

Q: If my car is totaled will the insurance pay for my aftermarket (insert part here)?

A: No, not unless that part is specifically insured on the policy. This is common for wheels and stereos. Most companies will insure you up to a given value for these items (for an additional charge of course). I would not recommend telling your agent you have any type of FI, or other “performance mod”…It’s a great way to get canceled.

Note: If you really want all of your mods covered (say you spent 30k on mods) you can buy a "stated value" insurance policy. These policies really could care less if your car has 100000whp and quadruple turbo. They will cover you up to a stated amount..no questions asked. The catch: it's VERY expensive and usually your annual mileage cannot exceed 2500 miles and the car must be in an enclosed garage every night. These policies are generally for classic restored cars, imported GTR's, Supras with 60k in mods, etc.) Pm me if you would like some links to agents for these policies.

Q: The other guy hit me (is at fault) and my supercharger is now broken or the other guy hit me (is at fault) and my car is totaled. I have x amount in mods on the car. Is his/her insurance required to pay for these parts?

A: Yes! They are required to. However, they will likely try to lowball you for the wear and tear on said part. Also, keep your receipts for this reason!

Q: What should I do if the other guy/gal’s insurance is “lowballing” me on my totaled vehicle or damaged part?

A: You have 2 options: Small claims (the amount, which can be sued for varies by state…here in CA it’s $7500). This is by far the easiest and cheapest option. Option 2: Get an attorney involved…probably not at all worth it due to the cost of the attorney.

Q: My insurance is “lowballing” me on my totaled vehicle. What can I do?

A: You can take your insurance company to arbitration (your insurance has to pay for the arbitrator, but be ready to pay for experts and possibly an attorney). Also, if they continue to really “lowball” you, you may want to sue them for “bad faith”…Essentially not holding up their end of the bargain. You will need an attorney for this, but they will likely work on a contingency fee and if you win at trial you could end up with a VERY large settlement. “Lowballing” is truly quite rare. It’s more than likely you think your vehicle is worth more than it truly is (I hate to say this, but in my experience it’s the case 99.9% of the time).

Q: My car got damaged in an accident. I took it to a shop to have it repaired and it’s still not right. What can I do?

A: Take it back again, and again, and again until it’s right and demand a rental car from the shop!

Q: I crashed my car at the track. Will my insurance cover it?

A: No. Your policy will exclude “speed contests” (or some other similar language) on your policy.

Q: Can my insurance decide to not cover me (after I had an accident) due to mods (i.e. FI)?

A: Yes, but it's HIGHLY unlikely. If they find out after an accident it's more likely that they will simply cancel you.

Special note to street racers and those who drive a vehicle intoxicated:

If you are in an accident and cause injury/death to another person you can be held liable for "punitive damages". Punitive damages cannot be "erased" by bankruptcy...ever...You will never be able to buy a home, lease/finance a car, etc. until the damages are paid in full, your property can be sold to pay the damages, etc. Your insurance will NOT pay these damages!

·
Registered
13,627 Posts
I know there is a difference b/w insurance points and DMV points...so with that said you could have 0 DMV points but insurance companies look at your record for the 3 prior years...so how many insurance points is a revocation if you had one within the past 3 years? Do they weigh that heavily when determining your rates? Sorry if I'm not making sense...I barely slept night before

·
Premium Member
10,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know there is a difference b/w insurance points and DMV points...so with that said you could have 0 DMV points but insurance companies look at your record for the 3 prior years...so how many insurance points is a revocation if you had one within the past 3 years? Do they weigh that heavily when determining your rates? Sorry if I'm not making sense...I barely slept night before
If I understand you correctly: Insurance points and DMV points are synonymous with INSURANCE only...The DMV (here in CA anyway) does not revoke a license, etc. for accidents. They only revoke for legal infractions/misdemeanors/felonies.

There is no set "limit" at which an insurance company will cancel you due to points. It's all dependent on many factors...So, I really can't answer your question:redface:

Yes! They weigh all points heavily. Some more than others (i.e. DUI, racing, etc.)

Good question.

·
Registered
13,627 Posts
If I understand you correctly: Insurance points and DMV points are synonymous with INSURANCE only...The DMV (here in CA anyway) does not revoke a license, etc. for accidents. They only revoke for legal infractions/misdemeanors/felonies.

There is no set "limit" at which an insurance company will cancel you due to points. It's all dependent on many factors...So, I really can't answer your question:redface:

Yes! They weigh all points heavily. Some more than others (i.e. DUI, racing, etc.)

Good question.
thanks...i was not trying to find out about cancellation...i guess what i really meant to say was...all factors being equal...let's say there's a set of twins with the same exact driving record, living in the same house, etc., except that one of them has had their license revoked w/ in the past 3 years...how significant would the cost of their premiums be given these facts?

ps i know there are lots of factors so i don't expect an exact answer but just a general estimate...thanks and oh yeah good thread idea:thumb:

·
Premium Member
10,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks...i was not trying to find out about cancellation...i guess what i really meant to say was...all factors being equal...let's say there's a set of twins with the same exact driving record, living in the same house, etc., except that one of them has had their license revoked w/ in the past 3 years...how significant would the cost of their premiums be given these facts?

ps i know there are lots of factors so i don't expect an exact answer but just a general estimate...thanks and oh yeah good thread idea:thumb:
With a license revocation...I'd say pretty significant...Like 2-3x the cost of the same person with a good record...just an estimate...maybe less...maybe more...

·
Registered
13,627 Posts
With a license revocation...I'd say pretty significant...Like 2-3x the cost of the same person with a good record...just an estimate...maybe less...maybe more...
:eek:mg:that's what i was looking for...thx

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I bought the 8 year extended warranty for my car when I got it (technically yesterday). Am I SOL because I have to wait 8 years until I can install a CAI otherwise it voids my warranty?

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
I bought the 8 year extended warranty for my car when I got it (technically yesterday). Am I SOL because I have to wait 8 years until I can install a CAI otherwise it voids my warranty?
it wont void your warranty, but if you suck up water and lock your engine the cai will be at fault and they will deny your warranty claim.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I have a few questions..

I hydrolocked my engine a couple months ago.
1- Insurance paid for new motor under a "comprehensive" claim. Will my insurance go up for that? If yes? How much %? 10%? 20%?

2- Also, I'll be driving for 3 yrs in August.(Will my insurance go down? 10%? 20%? :) )
3- I'll turn 21yrs old in December.. Will my insurance go down again? :p

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
I have a few questions..

1- Insurance paid for new motor under a "comprehensive" claim. Will my insurance go up for that? If yes? How much %? 10%? 20%?

2- Also, I'll be driving for 3 yrs in August.(Will my insurance go down? 10%? 20%? :) )

Thanks!
most of the time, your premiums go down at your next policy renewal. for instance, when my policy renews in march, my premiums will go down because my wife is over 25. When they renew again in september, they'll go down even more because both of us will be over 25

all in all, I'm content paying $1800 a year for two brand new cars with great coverage

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I know it will go down at my next policy renewal.. But I want to know.. IF premiums go down when you turn 21, after 3yrs of DL.. etc

·
Premium Member
10,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a few questions..

Thanks!
I would assume it would be an overall "wash"...You shouldn't see much change, or even possibly a reduction (due to turning 21). This type of claim is considered "1 point" usually. Most companies "forgive" 1 point...

I wouldn't stress it...

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Quick question (you semi-answered this in your OP)
So I'm thinking of changing agencies, however the agency i want to switch mentioned, when i called to get a quote, that i have to inform them of ANY modifications to the car. he basically said anything that enhances the car has to be reported, and in some cases they won't insure me/will not cover my claim. He asked if i planned on doing anything like an intake, lowering the car, etc. I already have the intake and i plan on lowering the car lol...he said that exhaust and wheels are okay cause they are "mostly aesthetic".
Are they really serious? I don't want to lie and say i have no mods and then need to claim and they turn me down :(

·
Registered
129 Posts
Is it worth it?

Would it be wise to go to the insurance company and report a scratch on my bumper? I know who did it and I got their License Plate number and left a note on their windshield.
I have a $500 deductible however and would rather not go to the insurance company if they're gonna make me pay for it regardless. Anyone have any input on this. I really want to stick it to the guy who did this! :readtherules:

·
Premium Member
10,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Would it be wise to go to the insurance company and report a scratch on my bumper? I know who did it and I got their License Plate number and left a note on their windshield.
I have a $500 deductible however and would rather not go to the insurance company if they're gonna make me pay for it regardless. Anyone have any input on this. I really want to stick it to the guy who did this! :readtherules:
If you know who did it and have a licence plate number then report it. It's not your fault so your rates won't go up. At worst it's less than your deductible and you'll have to pay out of pocket. At best they find the guy and his insurance pays it...

1 - 20 of 80 Posts