8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
state farm factored in my cousins' accidents into my family's policy. my cousins used to live with us, and i guess state farm hasn't changed the address of their new residence, even though they moved 5-7 years ago.

now my family is paying an extra 1000 a year, total bull!

so we're switching insurance companies and what not now, but they need my driving certificate (the one you get after completing driver's ed), but i can't find it! all they need is the certificate number. you think if i call my school and ask them for my certificate number, they'll give it to me?

i know for a fact that if you lose the certificate, you need to pay like, 50$ or something.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
I want to change insurance company, tell me which one is good. =]
do you ever have anything useful to add when people ask for advice? lol

bel air is good

I'm sure your driving school will have a record of you taking the course so the certificate # should be on there...you'll just have to call.

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
I want to change insurance company, tell me which one is good. =]
try going to mexico...

sorry but i find state farm good. try switching to another broker. they more then anything control the rates.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
do you ever have anything useful to add when people ask for advice? lol

bel air is good

I'm sure your driving school will have a record of you taking the course so the certificate # should be on there...you'll just have to call.
I need advice too.

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
you guys really dont need to change your insurance. Just look carefully at your policy and decide if you really need a coverage for property damages and jack. They usually give you 100k to 200k which is quite expensive.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
i just switched from geico to progressive and since i finance my car i need full coverage i with geico i was paying 830 a year with progressive i pay 421 a year pretty much the same coverage

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm with Johnson Inc. (underwritter is Unifund)...they gave me a rate that no one else can even close to...that includes TD, SF, PC, Belair...all the big ones...

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Don't go to TD they suck even if they have good rates. They have a strict policy against mods and made me go to an inspection after being flagged for suspicious activity. You should check to see if there's some kind of cancellation fee. I'm switching to Belair at the end of this month when my TD policy ends so I don't have to pay any fees.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
My advise for you is to call some brokerages and get quotes from them. They may be able to find you an insurance company with the cheapest possible premium with the coverages that you need. However, do know that the brokers do NOT control the rates. The companies they represent control the rates and increases, which are also approved from the government insurance boards. Direct writers such as TD, DGI, Belair, PC may have slightly lower rates at the beginning, but their rate increases are usually higher than writers such as Intact, Wawanesa, Dominion, RSA/Western. There are pros and cons for going with either/or.

Do remember that if you switch insurance companies, you'll more than likely lose all loyalty discounts, multiple line and special discounts associate with that company, although the new company you switch to may have different types of discounts that you qualify for as well. Adrian is correct that insurance companies know how often you switch companies. If you switch every year for slightly lower premiums, your insurance record will not look good. If you have a lot of convictions or claims, don't either bother trying to look for another market. You'll likely be given quotes for high-risk markets that are a LOT more expensive.

As for your your cousin's accident, it sounds like your cousin insured their car under your family's policy, or drove a car that belonged to your family. An accident/claim will follow that car/policy no matter what, unless you have a written consent/statement from your cousin that they are willing to take accident/claim and put it on their current policy. Also, even though your cousins moved 5-7 years ago, or even 20 years ago, the onus is on the policy holder to inform the insurance company that they have moved, or any part of their policy has changed. Obviously, I don't know the whole story behind your cousin and the accident, so I'm just going from what you have told us.

FYI, I work at an insurance brokerage so this is all from experience. We've had clients that have paid for 2 auto policies on the same car before, as they found a cheaper insurance company and didn't think they needed to call the prior company to cancel.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts