8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
101 - 120 of 402 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
kelrog said:
I'm hoping the wife will let me get this part and let me try this out on her 06 lx sedan. There shouldn't be a difference cause its a sedan right?


EDIT: For those that don't feel like reading everything, heres the link to the DIY

Cheapest Harness I could find for the 06 4 door AT EX. 36770-SNA-A11 $47.92
Well I finally ordered this harness. it came out to be $63 shipped. Hopefully I can put it in before this weekend. :laughing:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Itchy said:
I did the upgrade about a week ago and it's working great.

I've found that it helps to remove the bottom cover first to avoid breaking the locking latches on the top cover.

I did this install to control an aftermarket Pioneer AVIC-D3 unit using the SWI-PS adapter. Out of the 2 wires you need to run, you simply ground 1 (any one), then connect the second wire to the white lead of the SWI unit. (Add diode to control mode button, program swi for version 3, then have it learn the button commands)

With the help of this writeup, I also performed this upgrade on my Honda Pilot LX to control an aftermarket radio and by purchasing the EX radio controls. The Pilot buttons didn't come with a connector harness, so I had to run the wires into the steering reel.
Hi Itchy! :)

I've a couple more questions that you may be able to answer:

1. After purchasing the Volume + Cursie controls from Honda original parts, how did you connect the wires that came out from the Honda Volume harness to your aftermarket head unit?

a. which model is your Pioneer HU?
b. apart from this HU, I think u mentioned that you had another HU as well.. what adapter did you use to connect between the HU and the steering wheel controls e.g. apart from PAC SWI-??
c. if you've used and aftermarket adapter (in addition to the Honda Original parts), did you need to tap a +12v ignition to the aftermarket adapter? If yes, where did you tap the +12v from?

2. For the other HU, you mentioned that the Pilot buttons didn't come with a connector harness, so you had to run the wires into the steering reel. Do you mean that you had to run your own wires from the Honda Audio + Cruise controls all the way to the head unit for the Pilot?


Thank you in ADVANCE :)

Cheers,
 

· Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Hi Itchy! :)

I've a couple more questions that you may be able to answer:

1. After purchasing the Volume + Cursie controls from Honda original parts, how did you connect the wires that came out from the Honda Volume harness to your aftermarket head unit?

There are only 2 connectors I needed to deal with. The first is the connector behind the airbag (post 27 -pic 4 from top) All you do there is plug in your new audio/cruise controls as mentioned in the guide. The 2nd is behind the steering wheel, near the top of the steering column (2nd to last picture on post 27 (wires 3&4)) From there you still need to run 2 wires, like you normally would. Except instead of going to the Honda radio, I went to the Pac Audio SWI-PS adapter. One wire goes to ground (anyone) (black), the other wire goes to the resistance (white) on the SWI-PS. On the other side of the SWI-PS was a plug that fit into my aftermarket Pioneer unit. One item to note is that you'll have to short a couple of wires on the SWI with the supplied diode - otherwise your mode button will not work. I found this out by doing a search here.

a. which model is your Pioneer HU? AVIC-D3
b. apart from this HU, I think u mentioned that you had another HU as well.. what adapter did you use to connect between the HU and the steering wheel controls e.g. apart from PAC SWI-?? In my Pilot I also have the AVIC-D3, and I also used the SWI-PS. That's it.
c. if you've used and aftermarket adapter (in addition to the Honda Original parts), did you need to tap a +12v ignition to the aftermarket adapter? If yes, where did you tap the +12v from? Yes, I need to connect the adapter to ignition. I took this feed from behind the radio. I forget which wire it was on our 07, but from a quick search the 06 is purple

2. For the other HU, you mentioned that the Pilot buttons didn't come with a connector harness, so you had to run the wires into the steering reel. Do you mean that you had to run your own wires from the Honda Audio + Cruise controls all the way to the head unit for the Pilot? As I initially mentioned I only needed to use 2 of Honda's connectors. The first was behind the airbag. The 2nd was behind the steering wheel(top of the column) Fortunately for the civics, the wiring in between these 2 is already run. Not so with the Pilot! I had to run new wiring in between and had to utilize the Honda reel to avoid tangling the wires as I turn the steering wheel.


Thank you in ADVANCE :) Glad to help!

Cheers,
 

· Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
You the man Itchy!!! .... er... 2 final questions (hopefuly)

1. You mentioned that "you'll have to short a couple of wires on the SWI with the supplied diode - otherwise your mode button will not work.". Does it mean I'd need to somehow Solder the diodes on the wiring that goes between the SWI and the HeadUnit, or is this between the SWI and the steering wheel controls?

2. You mentioned that "I had to run new wiring in between and had to utilize the Honda reel to avoid tangling the wires as I turn the steering wheel." Did you have to buy a Honda Reel for this or was this an existing Honda reel in the Pilot?

Once again, the information is GREAT!!!! :thumb:




Itchy said:
Hi Itchy! :)

I've a couple more questions that you may be able to answer:

1. After purchasing the Volume + Cursie controls from Honda original parts, how did you connect the wires that came out from the Honda Volume harness to your aftermarket head unit?

There are only 2 connectors I needed to deal with. The first is the connector behind the airbag (post 27 -pic 4 from top) All you do there is plug in your new audio/cruise controls as mentioned in the guide. The 2nd is behind the steering wheel, near the top of the steering column (2nd to last picture on post 27 (wires 3&4)) From there you still need to run 2 wires, like you normally would. Except instead of going to the Honda radio, I went to the Pac Audio SWI-PS adapter. One wire goes to ground (anyone) (black), the other wire goes to the resistance (white) on the SWI-PS. On the other side of the SWI-PS was a plug that fit into my aftermarket Pioneer unit. One item to note is that you'll have to short a couple of wires on the SWI with the supplied diode - otherwise your mode button will not work.[/red] I found this out by doing a search here.

a. which model is your Pioneer HU? AVIC-D3
b. apart from this HU, I think u mentioned that you had another HU as well.. what adapter did you use to connect between the HU and the steering wheel controls e.g. apart from PAC SWI-?? In my Pilot I also have the AVIC-D3, and I also used the SWI-PS. That's it.
c. if you've used and aftermarket adapter (in addition to the Honda Original parts), did you need to tap a +12v ignition to the aftermarket adapter? If yes, where did you tap the +12v from? Yes, I need to connect the adapter to ignition. I took this feed from behind the radio. I forget which wire it was on our 07, but from a quick search the 06 is purple

2. For the other HU, you mentioned that the Pilot buttons didn't come with a connector harness, so you had to run the wires into the steering reel. Do you mean that you had to run your own wires from the Honda Audio + Cruise controls all the way to the head unit for the Pilot? As I initially mentioned I only needed to use 2 of Honda's connectors. The first was behind the airbag. The 2nd was behind the steering wheel(top of the column) Fortunately for the civics, the wiring in between these 2 is already run. Not so with the Pilot! I had to run new wiring in between and had to utilize the Honda reel to avoid tangling the wires as I turn the steering wheel.


Thank you in ADVANCE :) Glad to help!

Cheers,
 

· Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Well I stayed up late last night and did this for my wifes car. Man those connectors were a pain. I think getting the wires out were probably the hardest thing in the project. I was happy that it worked the first time as well.

did anyone else notice the numbering on the stereo harness? It already had pin out #'s, but the picture of the pinout in this project had a different sequence. I just followed what I saw on the DIY, and it worked, so don't use the numbering on that connector to determine the wire placing, just use the pictures in this thread.

+ rep to RBP_LX

Also, those that had problems with the steering wheel covers, turn the wheel 90 degrees, and firmly hold the top right side press in on the housing from both sides of that corner, and it should unlatch, then do the same with the left top corner. I believe this is in the helms, and if you can't find it for the honda, look thru a helms manual of an 05 civic's and they should show you how to remove that trim piece.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
hannson said:
You the man Itchy!!! .... er... 2 final questions (hopefuly)

1. You mentioned that "you'll have to short a couple of wires on the SWI with the supplied diode - otherwise your mode button will not work.". Does it mean I'd need to somehow Solder the diodes on the wiring that goes between the SWI and the HeadUnit, or is this between the SWI and the steering wheel controls?

2. You mentioned that "I had to run new wiring in between and had to utilize the Honda reel to avoid tangling the wires as I turn the steering wheel." Did you have to buy a Honda Reel for this or was this an existing Honda reel in the Pilot?

Once again, the information is GREAT!!!! :thumb:
1,) You short the wiring within the SWI only. I simply bent the diode into a U and inserted it into the pinouts of the connector going into the SWI. Then wrapped the entire unit w/ electrical tape. This is probably not the most secure way, but it was the easiest.

2) Pilot had an existing reel I utilized. It was used for the cruise control button wiring & horn wiring that's on all Pilots.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Just installed it on my 06 LX. It works perfectly! :rockwoot: If you can install a stereo you can do this.

Took me about 2 hours to install. I ran into a little issue when installing the connector pins into the radio side connection. Had them in upside down so the connector wouldn't seat properly. I also used a razor to cut up the old connector to get the pins out.

My wife loves it too! She said "It looks like it's been there the whole time.":thumb:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Itchy said:
1,) You short the wiring within the SWI only. I simply bent the diode into a U and inserted it into the pinouts of the connector going into the SWI. Then wrapped the entire unit w/ electrical tape. This is probably not the most secure way, but it was the easiest.

2) Pilot had an existing reel I utilized. It was used for the cruise control button wiring & horn wiring that's on all Pilots.
Hi Itchy,

is it possible to have some diagrams/pictures on the SWI "shorting"...
also which "diode" are you referring to?

thank you so much!!!
 

· Banned
Joined
·
12 Posts
still little bit in doubt.
at the steering wheel connector (NO 3) socket, when that socket meets with audio control button's socket, at button socket's there is no pin/cable at that hole.
so what for we run extra NO 3 cable ?

also same thing with NO 11 - 20 , at steering wheel socket says none, but if we see at button socket, there are 2 cable/pin for meet with NO 19 -20 steering wheel socket (i know these ones not related for installing audio button).so what for this cables honda put?

anyone can explain ?thanks
note i haven't open the steering wheel yet.so i don't know how it looks like.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
19,720 Posts
Bluedragon06 and Itchy:
Im sorry guys but you absolutely cannot solicit sales via PM outside the For Sale section. If you do not have access to make a new thread in the For Sale you will just have to be patient, eventually you will.

just FYI:
8thCivic Rules #20 said:
Using the PM system to solicit non-vendor sales or to circumvent any of the site rules or policies is strictly prohibited. Any member engaging in this activity will be banned.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
jasperdmx said:
still little bit in doubt.
at the steering wheel connector (NO 3) socket, when that socket meets with audio control button's socket, at button socket's there is no pin/cable at that hole.
so what for we run extra NO 3 cable ?

also same thing with NO 11 - 20 , at steering wheel socket says none, but if we see at button socket, there are 2 cable/pin for meet with NO 19 -20 steering wheel socket (i know these ones not related for installing audio button).so what for this cables honda put?

anyone can explain ?thanks
note i haven't open the steering wheel yet.so i don't know how it looks like.

From my previous post.
"did anyone else notice the numbering on the stereo harness? It already had pin out #'s, but the picture of the pinout in this project had a different sequence. I just followed what I saw on the DIY, and it worked, so don't use the numbering on that connector to determine the wire placing, just use the pictures in this thread. "

once you get everything opened up it will make more sense.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
kelrog said:
From my previous post.
"did anyone else notice the numbering on the stereo harness? It already had pin out #'s, but the picture of the pinout in this project had a different sequence. I just followed what I saw on the DIY, and it worked, so don't use the numbering on that connector to determine the wire placing, just use the pictures in this thread. "

once you get everything opened up it will make more sense.
:yeahthat:
 

· Banned
Joined
·
12 Posts
kelrog said:
From my previous post.
"did anyone else notice the numbering on the stereo harness? It already had pin out #'s, but the picture of the pinout in this project had a different sequence. I just followed what I saw on the DIY, and it worked, so don't use the numbering on that connector to determine the wire placing, just use the pictures in this thread. "

once you get everything opened up it will make more sense.
so i just follow whatever in this threat (page 1 and 3).
doesn't bother me about anything else ?
so in this case, still i run extra cables from 3 and 4 or i should run from number 1 and 2 ?
at left pic, button socket, pin 1 and 2 are from audio button, and hole 3 no pin, pin 4 - 8 from cruise button, hole 9-10 no pins

thanks
 

· Banned
Joined
·
12 Posts
kelrog said:
its cause hes trying to use the exact numbering thats on the harnesses. They don't really correspond on the stereo harness. We may need to make a change the original diagram.
i see - i see.means thats numbering on this diagram (page 1) -no 3 and 4 -need to changed according to our own harness socket. it's not fixed.
lets talk my case, means need run the cable from No 1 and 2 (which will connect with audio pin from button socket), right ?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
jasperdmx said:
i see - i see.means thats numbering on this diagram (page 1) -no 3 and 4 -need to changed according to our own harness socket. it's not fixed.
lets talk my case, means need run the cable from No 1 and 2 (which will connect with audio pin from button socket), right ?
I hope this will help. just follow the coloring. not the NUMBERING. Match up the COLORS. =]


 

Attachments

· Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Itchy said:
With the help of this writeup, I also performed this upgrade on my Honda Pilot LX to control an aftermarket radio and by purchasing the EX radio controls. The Pilot buttons didn't come with a connector harness, so I had to run the wires into the steering reel.
Hi Itchy,

thanks to all your earlier reply.

when i did it today, i realised that the connector harness on the steering wheel didn't have sufficient PINS on it?!?! so I had to run the wires into the steering reel like you said... thanks to you.. !!!! it's now working :)

thanks to everyone on this thread!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
bridugcox said:
Bump! I think he is on the right track, this mod, plus aftermarket headunit, and aftermarket steering control adaptor, we got factory steering audio control!:thumb:
Where did you get the aftermarket steering control adaptor? I want to put the Kenwood 7100 in my car but dont want to loose the steering wheel controls..
 

· Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
jamzak said:
Where did you get the aftermarket steering control adaptor? I want to put the Kenwood 7100 in my car but dont want to loose the steering wheel controls..
does your kenwood have the "wired remote" feature? u may want to check your kenwood manual. you can use PAC SWI-JACK

or if your kenwood has IR, you can use PAC SWI-X

good luck :)
 
101 - 120 of 402 Posts
Top