8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
djdefcon said:
So I took off work tomm and I decided to install my Injen CAI....Anyone have any helpful hints/tips, things I should look out for and such??? Should only really take an hour or so, so im not too worried
look up the DIY and buy new clamps for the hoses because the stock one's wont fit.. and carefull when switching hoses so u dont spill too much coolant.. good luck :thumb:

·
Registered
807 Posts
After I installed mine, I relocated my radiator hose.(pm me for more info.)
Id like to think I will do a DYI on it some day.Oh remove wire harnes clip
on the battery tray you will be glade you did.It will rub a hole in the CAI pipe.
Do the install some where you dont mind antifrez on the ground.And
lock up the cats.Take your time.Do it in the shaid.......cut a little then a little
more......that is all.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
originalg00kster said:
my friends 4 door si..used the stock clamps..and they fit just fine? do i have to cut a hole in my fender well?
No you don't have to. You have just put the under fender around the CAI. But you can if you want to.

·
Registered
919 Posts
be careful taking off the hose on the air diverter valve i cracked it when i removed the hose and had to order a new one for 80 bucks

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
Becareful with the coolant hose. The worst you can do is yank the hose and have coolant splash everywhere. Best advice I can give you is to do it when the car is cold i.e. morning. I used a razor blade to cut the hose and slide it right off with a towel in place.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yeah, I was going to say watch the coolant too. I spilled a bunch and spashed some under the hood. The hoses are a beeeeyotch to get off. Have your new collant hose at the ready so that when you pull the old one you can slap it on there without losing too much fluid.

You don't have to cut the bumper. I didn't cut mine, but getting the plastic undertrim back together and bolted down was a bit of a pain. It took some serious effort to get it lined up.

I'd also recommend getting new hose clamps too like others have said. Stock are very small.

You also might want to add a piece or rubber or something on the metal frame of the car near where the CAI comes through to the wheel well. I had my pipe on two days and I noticed the frame was already cutting into the pipe. I ended up wrapping the pipe in some seriously think rubber I found in the plumbing section to stop that from happening.

Good luck!

·
Registered
315 Posts
I would tape a rag or towel around the elbow part of the CAI to avoid scratches from installation of the CAI from the engine compartment through the fender, etc.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Quoted for truth!!! Been there done that 2... It will break easy, it's plastic....

StLVtec said:
be careful taking off the hose on the air diverter valve i cracked it when i removed the hose and had to order a new one for 80 bucks

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
speedi_65 said:
I would tape a rag or towel around the elbow part of the CAI to avoid scratches from installation of the CAI from the engine compartment through the fender, etc.
I scratched the sh*t out of mine working it into place. I don't care really though since you can't see the CAI anyways.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
so drain a little bit and do it when its cold? hmms. i looked at my friends cai today..and i saw that the radiator hose was touching the elbow of the intake. anyone got any recomendations for that?

·
Registered
807 Posts
I got a 6 in. (or so) of radiator hose.A stainless steel barbed male to male
conector. 2 hose clamps.From the manifold add 6.in hose,then the conector,
then the OEM hose. Check for fitment(very slight bends).By doing this you
push the OEM hose 2 or 3 in from the "bend." I might add I have the P2R spacer and have 3 in space. You should yeald about 4 in.The hose size is
1 1/14

1 - 20 of 28 Posts