8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed my new bulbs and I gotta say, its not as hard as everyone thinks. The only thing is that you DO NOT have to go through the fender on both sides.

The driver's side is as simple as just taking the coolant reservoir, taking the bulb out and putting in the new one, takes about 2 minutes.

The passanger side you DO have to pull the inner fender back to get to the bulb, but it only really takes 10 minutes.

I'll post some pics how its done if people want, as I really haven't seen any. It is worth it as my headlights are much brighter and whiter.

·
Administrator
45,045 Posts
Be careful doing the hi beam on the drivers side. There is something sharp down there, I dont know what it is, but I gashed my finger pretty good on it, and left some nice bloody fingerprints on the wiring. I couldnt get to the low beams from the top, I went through the fender.....

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
mikey6p said:
Be careful doing the hi beam on the drivers side. There is something sharp down there, I dont know what it is, but I gashed my finger pretty good on it, and left some nice bloody fingerprints on the wiring. I couldnt get to the low beams from the top, I went through the fender.....
Make sure that wasn't a needle from a crack victim stashing one from off the street.

jk

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
wow, ive already changed my bulbs 3 times (cuz silverstars dont last long) and when I do it, I just take off the whole front bumper. Also takes about 10 minutes. But honestly, there really is no EASY way to replace the headlights like in most other cars...

·
faptasic... pew pew pew
58,558 Posts
Tiznonay said:
wow, ive already changed my bulbs 3 times (cuz silverstars dont last long)
three times? thats a lot of money if you keep getting silverstars. i've had mine on my ex and took them off and put them on the si this week and i havent had a problem yet, also have them on my maxima (two years strong) havent had to change them yet.

your making sure your not touching the bulb itself, and not getting any dirt or dust on it right?

·
Registered
823 Posts
i have small hands i fit behind the metal tho sumtimes i shed blood its worth it for my car :) i love my WHIP

·
Administrator
45,045 Posts
Silverstars rock. So does performing the contorsions neccesary to put them in from the fenderwell side of it. Best tip I can give is to have someone help guide you into the slot. When you are down in the fender area...you cant see what you are doing because your arm blocks the view, so if you have someone looking at it from the engine bay, it makes the work cake.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
rippars said:
three times? thats a lot of money if you keep getting silverstars. i've had mine on my ex and took them off and put them on the si this week and i havent had a problem yet, also have them on my maxima (two years strong) havent had to change them yet.

your making sure your not touching the bulb itself, and not getting any dirt or dust on it right?
first off, i should say this, theyre not "authentic" silverstars, just generics. But idk, ive gone through 2 or 3 pairs of REAL silverstars on my nissan, and they never lasted more than a couple months, hense why I now buy generics. Seems like any bulbs that arent to exact stock specifications never last that long. But then again, I drive my car at night a lot... every night pretty much

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sounds like you need to not touch the bulbs when you put the bulbs in to me... the oils on your hand end up playing havok with high heat bulbs. If my one set goes out in a year, I won't be buying silverstars or fake ones again... I will go for the PIAA high end ones instead.

Just some thoughts....
Less

·
Registered
14 Posts
Can someone post pictures or directions on how to replace the headlight bulbs? I've recently lost my owner's manual and need the directions for the coupe...thanks.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
no need to take out the fender...
How to remove the low beams
Driver's side(1 min)
* Remove the coolant reservoir by grabbing it and pulling it out. Dont be afraid and pull it out hard,
*Unplug the wire that connects to the bulb, rotate it and pull it out.

Passanger's side...(2 mins)
* unbolt the ABS system(a sorta black box with silver arms sticking out) carefully and pull it to the side.
* unhook the wires that connect to the bulb, rotate the bulb then pull it out.
* put your new ones in, rotate the bulb to secure them and plug the wires back in.
* bolt back on the ABS system and you're done...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just got a pair of silverstars from wal-mart tonite..but *ALmost* regretted buying it after reading more about the limb contortion needed to get those bulbs in..

for a car n00b like me, doing anything (including unbolting) the ABS sounds pretty scary/radical to me for changing the lowbeam...i think tomorrow (Friday) after work i'll try the going-thru-fender job for the passenger side..

not gonna do it tonite in case i mess things up and end up unable to put the inner fender back in :SHOCKED:

thanx for all the advice guys!

·
Registered
5 Posts
one of my holding pins is TOUGH to get out.. bending the frigging inner fender is no easy/clean task either...

i spent 5 min changing the driverside low beam from start to finish (took me 2 min to figure out how to put the coolant tank back :p)

and spent 15 min getting accesss to inside of passenger side fender (removed 2 wrong holding pins to begin with).... now i'm gonna have my dinner and work on the contortionist bit to change the Passenger low beam @@

·
Registered
158 Posts
Well, 5 min to change drivers side.. that was a slam dunk.

Passenger Side, what a pain in the ass. After unbolting the ABS unit, it only moved over about 1.5 inches. My hands were still too big to fit in that tiny area.. I had to have my gf do it cause her hands were small enough. Then when bolting the ABS unit back on, 1 of the 3 bolts fell somwhere and couldn't find it....

If i ever have to change em again I'm taking it to a shop.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Pics would be a big plus in this. IM installing my Hid's in a couple days and this would help. Ill take some pics and post them up when im done.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to mount the ballasts?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I changed my high and low beam bulbs out awhile back, although at different times, the high beams were pretty easy, but the low beams were a biotch. my hands are big and I wound up removing the bumper and basically removing each headlight assembly. No other method worked, as my hands could touch the back of the bulb housing, they just didn't have the room to grab and twist. Loosening the ABS unit did not provide enough room and going thru the fender had the same result. I'm getting good at removing my front bumper. here's a hint if you can get some plastic gloves like used in the medical world, put them on if you're worried about touching the bulb. if you touch the bulb, clean them with alcohol. You don't want to leave your skin oil on the bulb.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've been using PIAA Star Whites in both hi and low beams, For 15 months no problems, excellent lighting, no outages, but cost more.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
striker_1818 said:
no need to take out the fender...
How to remove the low beams
Driver's side(1 min)
* Remove the coolant reservoir by grabbing it and pulling it out. Dont be afraid and pull it out hard,
*Unplug the wire that connects to the bulb, rotate it and pull it out.

Passanger's side...(2 mins)
* unbolt the ABS system(a sorta black box with silver arms sticking out) carefully and pull it to the side.
* unhook the wires that connect to the bulb, rotate the bulb then pull it out.
* put your new ones in, rotate the bulb to secure them and plug the wires back in.
* bolt back on the ABS system and you're done...

That's EXACTLY how I did it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts