8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 435 Posts

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If for whatever reason this does not post correctly on here you can see it on my server HERE

TWM Short Shift Kit 2006+ Honda Civic / Civic Si
by Larry Dougherty

Note that I have copied the TWM installation manual word for word and added my own notes on this install. There guide is very clear but it can't hurt to have it online.

Tools Required:
13mm wrench
14mm wrench
12mm socket
6" extension
Ratchet
Flat head screw driver
4mm allen key (included)
Rubber Mallet <- not in their instructions but I used it.

1. Looking down at the knob, turn the knob lock nut clockwise, using a 14mm wrench to loosen it.

2. Remove the knob by rotating it counter clock-wise and remove the nut from the shifter shaft.

3. Pull up on the shifter bezel to remove it and put it in a safe place.

The bezel simply snaps into place; just pop it up.

4. Hold the rear of the plastic part surrounding the shifter and pull it up and then back toward you to remove it.

The plastic part simply snaps into place; just pop it up and then pull back and away from the center console.

5. Spread the metal clip open and pull the cable down to free it from the shifter.

I suggest using needle nose pliers; make sure you keep a good grip as not to lose this into the center console.

6. Using a 13mm wrench, place the open end around the shifter and use the shifter as a pivot point. We strongly recommend doing this inside a plastic bag to avoid losing the cup. Use caution during this step

I can honestly say this step is where I ran into the most difficulties because I couldnt get that little blue cap off. I did exactly what they said by prying it wasnt working so I ended up just positioning the wrench like they suggested and smacked it forward a couple times and the cap popped right off. Below is a picture of the picture of the cap off however I did not get a picture of the wrench positioned. The best I can tell you is to put the open end of the wrench right above the cap on the shifter base and then push forward towards the black plastic piece above it.

NOTE: Steps 7 to 10 are only required if you have purchasd the shifter base bushings as well. if you only purchased the adapter proceed ahead to step 11.

7. Using a 12 mm socket and ratchet with a 6" extension, remove the 3 bolts holding down the shift assembly.

8. Push the rubber grommets out of the shift assembly. First push the metal sleeve out of the rubber grommet with your finger, then remove the rubber grommet by pushing it through the shifter assembly with a flat head screw driver. Use Caution not to drop the bushings inside the console. If you drop a bushing it will be necesary to remove the console to retrieve it.

Getting these out is simple however keeping them from falling into oblivion is not. If you lose it into the center console just refer to the end of the guide where I describe how to remove the center console.

9. In order to install the bushings beneath the shifter assembly, you may want to ask a friend to assist. Alternatively, to hold the bushings in place while working you may apply a thin bead of fun tack around the bushing to make them stick to the bottom side of the shift assembly. This will hold them in place while you place the other bushings if you are working alone. Use Caution not to drop the bushings, the console will need to be removed to retrieve them.

10. Place all three bushings under the shift assembly with the smaller diameter facing up so they fit into the holes in the plastic assembly. Thread the bolts back in and tighten them using a 12 mm ratchet.

Same verse as above. I did this and dropped 2 out of the 3 bushings into oblivion so I just took the center console out and it made the whole just that much easier. To be honest I don't know how anyone could actually manage to hold the bushings in place and secure them at the same time while the console is still in place.

11. Grease the ball on the TWM shift adapter.

The grease is not included with the kit however you can find plenty of grease on the pivot rod for the shifter. It doesn't take much; just enough to make it slick.

12. Using a vice, push the blue cup you removed in step 6 onto the TWM adapter.

I do not have a vice so I just put the adapter on my work bench with the cup on top of it and tapped it with a rubber mallot and it popped right on.

13. Slide the adapter onto the shifter, with the slot facing up. This may be easier by pushing the shift cable down to create more space.

14. Verify the adapter is fully inserted onto the shifter and apply loctite on the supplied socket cap screw. Tighten the socket cap screw using the supplied 4mm Allen Key until it is properly secured to the shifter shaft.

15. Push the cable back on to the plastic cup on the bottom of the TWM adapter, be sure that the metal clip snaps back into place to secure the shift cable to the shifter.

16. Re-install the console by reversing steps 1 to 4.

Install is complete; Enjoy the ride!

Center Console Removal

Below are a couple pictures of the screws and push pins you need to remove to take out the center console.

This panel just pops off.

Just remove the screws/push pins and pull up and backwards on the console; it should come out enough for you to get to everything. To completely remove it you will need to unclip the harness to the right of the shifter a few inches back.

Now for my little review on the shift kit.. I like it alot.. You can definitely tell that the throw has been reduced.. When I first bought the car I said there would be no need for a short shifter in this car as the shifter was perfect. Well now I will eat my words because the car is just simply that much better with the shifter kit. So in my overall opinion for the money it costs (around 70 for the shifter or 90 for shifter and bushings) this is an effective & cheap mod..

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Excellent write-up and review. I'm curious as to how the bushings firm up the mounting of the shifter assembly. Can you feel a difference?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Larry, nice write up. The only thing I can add is that I did use the method of putting a ziploc bag around the cap and prying it off with the wrench. It feels like you're going to break it, or bend the wrench, but you won't. The cap came right off in the bag. Unfortunately, the bushings weren't so easy. I did end up dropping one and having to remove the center console to do the install. I recommend to others putting sticky-tak on the bushing like it said if you're doing this by yourself.

The SS is a good, quick mod. Throws are much shorter, mis-shifts are non-existent, and sloppiness is gone. The bushings I feel stiffened up the entire unit and made it feel solid.

·
Registered
4,592 Posts
larryd said:
I like it alot.. You can definitely tell that the throw has been reduced.. When I first bought the car I said there would be no need for a short shifter in this car as the shifter was perfect. Well now I will eat my words because the car is just simply that much better with the shifter kit. So in my overall opinion for the money it costs (around 70 for the shifter or 90 for shifter and bushings) this is an effective & cheap mod..
Hi Larry,

Great write up, and thanks for the review! I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the short shifter. I know what you mean about the stock shifter being good, but this shifter just makes it even better.

The shifters are moving fast but we still have some left guys, check it out here: TWM 2006 Civic Short Shifters

Thanks!

Kevin
TWM Performance

·
Registered
793 Posts
Getting these out is simple however keeping them from falling into oblivion is not.
Use of the word oblivion helped me to realize how troublesome it is to drop those little guys in there. I laughed for about 3 seconds.

·
Registered
4,592 Posts
catchx34 said:
what's that one piece of metal for, the one that is included in the bag with the allen wrnech and bolts?
catchx34: I just PM'd this to you, but the others may find it useful as well:

If you are referring to the "C" shaped piece of steel, that's a cup remover tool. It is used to simplify removal of the blue plastic cup from the TWM short shifter if it is ever uninstalled, if for example you were to sell the car and wanted to part it out.

To use it, remove the shift adapter and hang the adapter and cup from a bench vise on the cup remover tool, then tap the adapter with a punch and hammer. The cup will stay on the CRT, and the adapter will be pushed out by tapping with the hammer.

I realize that we did not include this step in the manual on our initial shipment of shift adapters, so we'll add the step and publish the manual on our website as well. The cup remover tool is not required for the installation, but you may want to keep it if you ever decide to uninstall the shifter if you sell the car.

Thanks,

Kevin
TWM Performance

·
Registered
4,592 Posts
si_civic said:
I'm stoked for this shift kit. However, I'm stuck between this and the Comptech. :S
The TWM short shifter for the 2006 Civic Si has similar stats to the Comptech, they both reduce throw by 22% and are adapters that attach to the base of the stock shifter. We felt that this design was the simplest possible while achieveing excellent results, as did Comptech.

One main difference between the TWM and Comptech is that our short shifter can be purchased alone, or for only $19.95 the base bushings can be added to create a more direct shift feel. In addition, a weighted shift knob can be added at a $20 discount while purchasing the short shifter as well.

Our short shifter does have a lifetime warranty as well, as do all of our short shifters.

I hope this helps with your decision ;)

Kevin
TWM Performance

·
Registered
109 Posts
i got my twm short shifter with bushings today and i just finished installing it.boy was it a pain in the ass installing those bushings.i did have to take the centre console due to dropping a few things in there but all the work was worth it.the throw is way shorter than stock and it feels so much smoother.i recommend everybody this kit.....can't wait to drive my car on the way to work tomorrow:vtec:

·
Registered
4,592 Posts
vegeta21 said:
i got my twm short shifter with bushings today and i just finished installing it.boy was it a pain in the ass installing those bushings.i did have to take the centre console due to dropping a few things in there but all the work was worth it.the throw is way shorter than stock and it feels so much smoother.i recommend everybody this kit.....can't wait to drive my car on the way to work tomorrow:vtec:
Thanks for your order, I'm glad to hear you like the short shifter! The bushings are easier to install with the console removed, we'll make the change to the manual to indicate the extra steps to remove the console.

Thanks for the props!

Kevin
TWM Performance

·
Registered
109 Posts
TWM Performance said:
Thanks for your order, I'm glad to hear you like the short shifter! The bushings are easier to install with the console removed, we'll make the change to the manual to indicate the extra steps to remove the console.

Thanks for the props!

Kevin
TWM Performance
i did find it easier to install the bushings with the console removed cuz u have more space to work with instead of trying to jam your hands in there while holding the bushing and worrying about not dropping it.the bottom right corner was a b*tch.anyhow i'm luvin my new mod...i use to hate shifting to second gear because no matter how much i try to get a smooth shift it never seem to work.now its ten times better...what i need now is a new shift boot and a knob.any good ones??

·
Registered
27 Posts
I installed mine today without removing the center console and boy was it tight especially for me with big hands. Bushings are def the hardest part. I also added the weighted shifter. Its a huge difference in throw and feels very firm. Definately worth the $$$. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 435 Posts