8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Inspired by 8thCivic.com...

3K views 25 replies 21 participants last post by  Revtress 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I feel like I need to explain a little background information on my donation today, because quite frankly, I feel guilty after reading through some feedback that I’ve received today regarding it. (In hindsight I suppose I should have thought about this beforehand…)

Anyway, my fraternity got inspired by the fact that many communities, as groups, were actively supporting a cause that hits home with us. It made me think about what we could possibly do to contribute to something important. This feeling was further reinforced later the same day by a brother of my fraternity. We spoke briefly about how we could accomplish this and decided on doing a little fundraiser. Being a student organization, we have the ability to do this type of thing on campus. So, five or six of us spent last Tuesday and Wednesday in the quad at a booth that we constructed (it was terribly cute) taking donations for Toys for Tots.

The results we received were unbelievable. In a total of maybe 8-10 hours over that two day period we managed to raise $888.06. I never expected to raise half this much. In truth, I didn’t really know what to expect aside from this being a good opportunity to talk to tons of beautiful women (which we have in huge supply, not sure why?), harass people for a good cause, and in general spend time with my brothers being crazy and obnoxious in public. What we all left with was a real sense of how inherently kind and generous people can be and how much can be accomplished when just a few put their heads together for good.

As am I the vice president of this particular fraternity (coupled with the fact that my bank has a free change-to-cash conversion machine, lol) I took it upon myself to handle the distribution of the money we had raised. I found it only appropriate to use this community as the medium in which to donate since the inspiration for my initial motivation was due to you folks. So in reality, if you want to tip your hat to someone, tip it to yourself.

So as much as I’d like to, I can’t in good conscience take credit for making this donation, because it technically wasn’t my money. Thanks for the inspiration; this was a truly great experience that was quite full of awesomeness for me. ;p

Anyway, that’s all, hope this brain dump of text makes sense, lol.

See less See more
#5 ·
Haha, heres the thing, though, not to rain on your parade, but we're so far from "usual" when it comes to fraternities its not even funny. We've evidently developed quite the reputation because we're an extremely diverse group thats very laid back and genuine (and we throw killer parties ;p). My best friend actually founded the chapter here about 6 months ago and it's pretty much exploded since that time. "Men of Character" is essentially the best way to summarize the ideals we're pursuing now, as a group.

#12 ·
Awsome man! I used to do stuff like this back USC with my Fraternity. Every year we would all go to this big church and unload a tractor trailer full of girl scout cookies.

Fun times!!!

We were also the only diversed Fraternity on campus.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.