8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone have a tutorial on how to uninstall and install an inner tie rod? Also I can't seem to find the part for the inner tie rod. but I believe its 21 End Rack. Is 21 for both Left and Right? Because for the outer tie rod its labeled 17 for R and 18 for L

Please help.

I have an 8th gen 2009 si and other than the tie rod issue I seem to have an infamous clunking noise from the front passenger rear. After reading about a million threads its either a bushing on the, sway bar end links, and or inner tie rod. Any information would be of much help.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Check the bushing on the steering rack? I had a (clunk/popping) noise at low speeds when turning the wheel. Honda had a message on the torque specs for the bolts that hold the rack in. Loosen the bolts and re tighten them. That worked for me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
58 Posts
The inner tie rod ends thread onto the rack, underneath the boots. I'm not sure what part number they are in your diagram. I agree the clunking noise might be your rack

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The inner tie rod ends thread onto the rack, underneath the boots. I'm not sure what part number they are in your diagram. I agree the clunking noise might be your rack
I believe #21 is the inner tie rod that connects to the rack, but I need to know if it comes with the washer (#15) and how to remove that washer. Also if that washer is unusable.

·
Registered
53 Posts
21 is the inner tie rods. the inner tie rods are the same left and right. as far as changing them you will need a special tool, most auto parts stores rent them for free.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
21 is the inner tie rods. the inner tie rods are the same left and right. as far as changing them you will need a special tool, most auto parts stores rent them for free.

Thanks, do you know how difficult it is to remove and replace the washer (#15) though?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
May anyone provide some help? Doesn't seem like theres room to take it off without dropping the subframe. Also does anyone know where I could get the inner tie rod tool? I can't find the proper kit with adapters to rent.

·
Does this do anything?
2,716 Posts
How about you start by listing where you have tried to rent it. Last I knew, O'Reilly and Advance both rent the proper tool.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Old thread but if you are having trouble getting the boot off break the inner clip with a small screwdriver, feel for the little notch and stick the screw driver in that notch and use a hammer then it should start coming loose, then pry it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts