8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which one of these Intakes will be better ? I'm leaning towards k&n just because it's easier but I'm wondering if theres a big hp difference between the two?

·
Registered
184 Posts
KN pulls hot air basically right beside the header also looks awful with that goofy bend.

You should look at Ktuned CAI/SRI. Yes it's a more involved install but in the end looks and performs better.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Get a Hybrid Racing 3.5" CAI. Silicone beats metal intake tubing all day long. Lower IAT's.

Of course you'll need a MAP tune with it. Add a header and you'll be around 220whp depending on the dyno, but you'll feel the difference, especially passing all those 300 hp luxury sport coupes.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have had the KN Typhoon V2 for almost 4 years now. I also live in the deep south, commuting 80+ miles a day (half of which are in traffic) and we've been having 95-100 degree days lately. Don't let all the "heat-soak" stories scare you.

If youre looking for lower temps, the best possible power, AND don't mind the extra work/$$$, any CAI would be a good investment. SRIs in general will all perform a little "less" than CAI. Thats the rule, usually. But of all of them, the K&N is the better option. It sounds great, and still works great. You may only make a few extra HP vs what a CAI could do.

My only complaint would be how quickly the filter itself gets dirty, but I remedied that by getting a 2nd one, so when you clean it and have to let it dry all night, you'll have a filter to throw right back on!

Get a Hybrid Racing 3.5" CAI. Silicone beats metal intake tubing all day long. Lower IAT's.

Of course you'll need a MAP tune with it. Add a header and you'll be around 220whp depending on the dyno, but you'll feel the difference, especially passing all those 300 hp luxury sport coupes.
If you go CAI, I'd 2nd this. ^^^^^

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wanted cai but I just didnt want to take off the bumper and cut things. So I went with the k&n sri at a really good price used. It sounds great. Next maybe a header, just have to find the least of loudest since I'm in California.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have a Skunk2 CAI and I don't recall having to cut anything. Install was actually quite easy but as with any of the larger Chai's a tune would be required.

As for a header, are you thinking a shorty to allow you to still run a catalytic converter? If not, most guys here run the Skunk2 Alpha Series from what I have found. There is also K-tuned, Invidia, PLM, etc.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a Skunk2 CAI and I don't recall having to cut anything. Install was actually quite easy but as with any of the larger Chai's a tune would be required.

As for a header, are you thinking a shorty to allow you to still run a catalytic converter? If not, most guys here run the Skunk2 Alpha Series from what I have found. There is also K-tuned, Invidia, PLM, etc.
What header would I make more power that isn't too loud? I believe the skunk2 alpha will be too loud since I'm California

1 - 8 of 8 Posts