8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed the Injen CAI on my 08 si last night. First off, let me just say that the only thing about the directions u should pay attention to is where to disconnect and reconnect the coolant hoses, the MAF sensor, and where to position the intake under the front bumper (just behind the front part of your wheel well). The CAI is amazing. Great sound pulls in almost every gear above 3k, and the vibramount completely eliminates all vibrations, plus the actual intake is only 1 screw to get in (the vibramount) plus the rubber coupling and hoses, THATS IT... The most terrible part about this installation is the removal of your stock airbox, which honda felt completely necessary to make it as difficult as possible to get off. The primary and secondary ducts came out with little problem after i removed the battery from the car completely (damn u small engine bay... ) but the killer was getting the lower air box out from under the bumper, which they say you must remove the front bumper to do (which is a lie).

After removing the primary and secondary ducts and disconnecting all the unnecessary hosing, I could see the box down in there but was unable to pull it out the top of the bay, so i went through the wheel well. The lower box is connected by nothing more than 2 measely bolts, both of which are honda manufacturers bolts so they are even harder to get off (10mm wrench and socket) took me almost 20 mins just to unwrench these. But if u dont want to take the front bumper (and who does... ) u can go in through the wheel well by removing the plastic and splash guard to get to the box. You will probably break some clips but they only cost 5 bucks to replace. After i got the wheel well pulled back exposing the front bumper and took out the bolts, the box slipped right out from under the wheel well (i also removed my front left wheel to make this much easier). Then, i slipped the intake up through the inner plastic housing and up through the engine bay. When attaching the vibramount you must make sure the intake slips all the way onto the rubber bolt, since its a self torquing screw no need to wrench it real tight or u could snap the bolt clean off the mount. Didnt come with any 20/ 17mm clamps so i ran to grab those ($2.50) for main vacuum line. And thats it, runs perfectly no vibrations, and love the way it only kicks in really at WOT. Highly recommend the Injen over AEM (which my buddy has), gotta put another one on my friends 09 si, probably will make a DIY for it since it desperately needs one...

·
Premium Member
2,947 Posts
Glad you like the intake. I made the switch over 2 weeks ago to AEM cold air intake from a AEM short ram. Its a night and day difference. Not as loud as my short ram but actually sounds nice and deep and pulls so much better. I think the end of the day there both great proven intakes. The AEM I chose because of the design 3inch piping all the way thru minimal bends and a smooth 120degree bend to the throttle body. My intake air temps have dropped drastically.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why? Is the Injen intake better because it's the one you have?
no. They have really small hp differences. I may have been a little strong with words as it doesnt really matter which one u get as long as its a CAI not HAI... AEM v2 is better i believe because of the veins it has for no flashpro? Could be wrong. Injen is better with a tune. Ill be going with a supercharger setup with flashpro eventually, plus i enjoy the louder deeper sound it gives. Not much to debate between intakes its really personal preference.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad you like the intake. I made the switch over 2 weeks ago to AEM cold air intake from a AEM short ram. Its a night and day difference. Not as loud as my short ram but actually sounds nice and deep and pulls so much better. I think the end of the day there both great proven intakes. The AEM I chose because of the design 3inch piping all the way thru minimal bends and a smooth 120degree bend to the throttle body. My intake air temps have dropped drastically.
i was thinking about injen's SRI, but no heatshield option and i didnt want to run SRI with no heatshield cause its so close to the engine.

·
Registered
690 Posts
after having an SRI, i moved to a custom cold air.

cte intake or the K&N system would be right for you because of the heatshield

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
after having an SRI, i moved to a custom cold air.

cte intake or the K&N system would be right for you because of the heatshield
i saw the k&n and it was nice. but i went with the injen CAI instead, im happy with it though i cant wait to get all mybolt ons and a custom tune.

·
Premium Member
2,947 Posts
Going from a full bolt on dyno and street hondata tuned Si with a short ram aem to the cold air aem is night and day. My car is even smoother, the power is stronger and the sound is deeper. To also add my car is much much happier its breathing cold clean air now not hot hot temps.

Oh and no vanes for me as im tuned but its nice that i had the option.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I too have an Ingen CAI and love it. For those who follow the instructions and remove the bumper to install, make sure the air filter is positioned far enough back to avoid hitting the fog light when you reinstall the bumper. I didn't and the bumper went back on so smooth I didn't realize the filter knocked the fog light adjustment out of whack until I used them. I was able to readjust this w/o taking off the bumper but it was kind of a pain. And, yes, they should have supplied the extra hose clamps for the two smaller hoses.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I too have an Ingen CAI and love it. For those who follow the instructions and remove the bumper to install, make sure the air filter is positioned far enough back to avoid hitting the fog light when you reinstall the bumper. I didn't and the bumper went back on so smooth I didn't realize the filter knocked the fog light adjustment out of whack until I used them. I was able to readjust this w/o taking off the bumper but it was kind of a pain. And, yes, they should have supplied the extra hose clamps for the two smaller hoses.
yea it was a pain getting the stock airbox out without takiung the bumper off. but i think they should at least include in the directions u get that u MAY need to do that. They just show u a picture of the lower airbox and say, " Continue removing the lower portion of the stock airbox.. " like come on dude...

·
Registered
206 Posts
I got a Injen SRI...

When it get hot.....It really do lost lot of power.

Going to get a INJEN CAI very sooon....

Thanks for the head up.

·
Registered
119 Posts
You throw off the pressures around valves because of how the sound frequencies inside the intake system matter... the cold air intake minimizes how bad you throw those off, IMO. Just something else to ask someone more experienced, and to think about when doing this.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Just installed the Injen CAI on my 08 si last night. First off, let me just say that the only thing about the directions u should pay attention to is where to disconnect and reconnect the coolant hoses, the MAF sensor, and where to position the intake under the front bumper (just behind the front part of your wheel well). The CAI is amazing. Great sound pulls in almost every gear above 3k, and the vibramount completely eliminates all vibrations, plus the actual intake is only 1 screw to get in (the vibramount) plus the rubber coupling and hoses, THATS IT... The most terrible part about this installation is the removal of your stock airbox, which honda felt completely necessary to make it as difficult as possible to get off. The primary and secondary ducts came out with little problem after i removed the battery from the car completely (damn u small engine bay... ) but the killer was getting the lower air box out from under the bumper, which they say you must remove the front bumper to do (which is a lie).

After removing the primary and secondary ducts and disconnecting all the unnecessary hosing, I could see the box down in there but was unable to pull it out the top of the bay, so i went through the wheel well. The lower box is connected by nothing more than 2 measely bolts, both of which are honda manufacturers bolts so they are even harder to get off (10mm wrench and socket) took me almost 20 mins just to unwrench these. But if u dont want to take the front bumper (and who does... ) u can go in through the wheel well by removing the plastic and splash guard to get to the box. You will probably break some clips but they only cost 5 bucks to replace. After i got the wheel well pulled back exposing the front bumper and took out the bolts, the box slipped right out from under the wheel well (i also removed my front left wheel to make this much easier). Then, i slipped the intake up through the inner plastic housing and up through the engine bay. When attaching the vibramount you must make sure the intake slips all the way onto the rubber bolt, since its a self torquing screw no need to wrench it real tight or u could snap the bolt clean off the mount. Didnt come with any 20/ 17mm clamps so i ran to grab those ($2.50) for main vacuum line. And thats it, runs perfectly no vibrations, and love the way it only kicks in really at WOT. Highly recommend the Injen over AEM (which my buddy has), gotta put another one on my friends 09 si, probably will make a DIY for it since it desperately needs one...
Hahaha, I feel your pain man..when I installed mine took the better part of the day just taking out the stock box, was a PITA :bleh:

And yah, there's no need to take off the front bumper, it's a bit harder but I'd rather not have to mess with realigning the bumper. All in all, CAI > SRI :dancingcoolsmiley:

·
Registered
265 Posts
HELP! I just installed my injen CAI on my SI Sedan and i get a rattle every time i hit 70+ MPH. I cant find the rattle...sounds like a plastic piece vibrating. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
This thing was a pain in the ass to install only because the lower stock box would not come out. Who knew honda stuffed 10 feet of intake hose underneth of our hoods. I gave up and ended up cutting mine out.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
HELP! I just installed my injen CAI on my SI Sedan and i get a rattle every time i hit 70+ MPH. I cant find the rattle...sounds like a plastic piece vibrating. Any ideas?
if you removed your bumper you might want to check your clips to make sure they are all there and attached to the splash guards underneth. The 4 clips in the front area should go through the splash guard and into metal if i remember correctly.

·
Registered
265 Posts
if you removed your bumper you might want to check your clips to make sure they are all there and attached to the splash guards underneth. The 4 clips in the front area should go through the splash guard and into metal if i remember correctly.
Thanks for the help...i got it. It was the Black plastic piece on top of the front grill. my roommate didnt put the black plastic piece underneath the grill. No more noise! I probably need to cut a bigger hole in the wheel well for my intake. It's touching the plastic piece.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Im in the process of installing my cai right now. Its dark out and I didnt see that the piece on the intake that the smaller hose from the intake tube goes to was plastic and broke it when I tried getting the hose off. Whats this piece called?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts