8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put an Injen CAI an my 07 coupe si. what are the chances of it hydrolocking? i lowered my car 1.5", so the filter is lower to the ground. Grant it its in my bumper and im not planning on going swimming with my car, but it was pouring out today and i had to drive pretty far in the rain, and it got me thinking. any thoughts, advise, anything?

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
You can hydo lock. I know somebody on 8th did which is why I like X's intake with the proven gains...Another guy is working on one but he has no dyno so I can't say much. X's gives more power and it's a short ram so no hydo lock. Good luck!

·
Registered
497 Posts
I just put an Injen CAI an my 07 coupe si. what are the chances of it hydrolocking? i lowered my car 1.5", so the filter is lower to the ground. Grant it its in my bumper and im not planning on going swimming with my car, but it was pouring out today and i had to drive pretty far in the rain, and it got me thinking. any thoughts, advise, anything?
It all depends on how carefully you drive. I have on on my FG1 and I def. addressed this issue before I got it. If your worried about it invest in the hydroshield, its not but like $30 jus my $.02. But like you said, " Grant it its in my bumper and im not planning on going swimming with my car

·
Registered
37 Posts
dont worry about hydrolocking. i have had my CAI on for a year and a half and had no problems. you will only hydrolock if you completely submerge your filter. even if you do it is not too hard to fix unless you try to start your car after you hydrolock it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I've had my CAI for over a year now and have driven it plenty in the wet. No codes or other issues to speak of. In fact, I've done this:

several times.

Over all, the Injen is a good design. If you push it all the way forward it actually hooks back up towards the bottom of the headlight. The actual outlet is maybe 8-10" off the ground. If you actually hydrolock it . . . you are doing something dumb.

My general rule (CAI or not) is to NEVER drive though standing water.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I've had my CAI for over a year now and have driven it plenty in the wet. No codes or other issues to speak of. In fact, I've done this:

several times.

Over all, the Injen is a good design. If you push it all the way forward it actually hooks back up towards the bottom of the headlight. The actual outlet is maybe 8-10" off the ground. If you actually hydrolock it . . . you are doing something dumb.

My general rule (CAI or not) is to NEVER drive though standing water.
Your a brave man. That make me feel a lot better about running a CAI though.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
You do understand that in order to suck water all the way up from the filter of a CAI, the filter will have to be almost entirely submerged. If not, you'll just get mist and still get more air from the open spot. People that hyrdolock state their conditions were in as what 27IVTEC said, in standing water... and it was DEEP standing water... enough to throw water all around the filter if not submerge it 80-90% into water. If you live in Florida, its understandable since it does rain like crazy and heavy over there. But I live in the bay area of CA and its been raining pretty constant for about 2 weeks and I have a CAI with an open foglight hole AND no underbody shield. Till now, no signs of hydrolocking(bogging, missing, lack of power). I even pulled off the filter and the inside of my piping is still clean along with the MAF. If you're really really worried then get a bypass valve but unless you like going mudding or live in an extremely rainy area, you shouldn't have any worries.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I went to a car meet about 5 weeks ago? and their was an R18 civic driver who had an INJEN CAI and he hydrolocked the car when it was rainning pretty hard(it was really bad), he came to the meet with his gf, in her car... I only know hydrolocking stories from INJEN CAI for the R18..nothing else.. The guy told me that he is just planning on getting a SRI or the antihydrolock thing...forgot what its called when the mechanics are done with his car. So idk... i guess its really how you drive like one of the people said above

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.