8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done a lot of searching and haven't really found any solid information on this...

My current setup is nst pulleys and HPS intake hose.

I'm wanting to know MAINLY if it is ok to run the HONDATA reflash with only the HPS hose?

I'd also like to hear from anyone who has run the reflash on a completely stock motor and why it is suggested that you have at least an intake or header. Is it only for maximizing the performance or is it a matter of safe A/F ratios and dangerous to have the reflash without it?

I'm not interested in flashpro as my ultimate goals for my car would be complete if I could run the reflash with my current setup. Lets keep this reflash related only please.....

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Get a header and you hps should be fine. There was some video on youtube where a guy ran BOTH header and intake WITH reflash and got beat by a stock Si. So run one or the other.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Nobody here is going to comment that much on the reflash, we all know it's a waste of money with FlashPro available.
For $300 the reflash is less than half the price of FlashPro. At the old price of $600 it was a waste since for only $100 more you could have the ability to tune. Since Hondata lowered the price, the reflash is a good deal IMO

I have a "K" intake and a DCRH with a 2.5" collector and I think the reflash will be my next mod with a 2.5" exhaust to follow that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nobody here is going to comment that much on the reflash, we all know it's a waste of money with FlashPro available.
Flashpro would be a waste of money for my setup. I am not interested in tuning, I'm interested in the reflash as I stated. My ultimate goals for the motor would only include adding a reflash and possibly exhaust down the road. Purchasing flashpro for that setup would be unintelligent as the extra tuning options would be unnecessary for my setup.

Anyone know if it's ok to run the reflash with just the HPS hose?

I need to know if they suggest you have an intake or header for A/F reasons and it is dangerous to run without a full short ram or cold air? Or if it's just for maximizing results.

Thanks again and I'll wait for some more reflash related feedback.

·
Registered
11,043 Posts
^^ flashpro is never a waste.

Even if you just add an intake, of any kind, it's worth it to use flashpro.

any short ram that isn't modified greatly to prevent the hot air from the header from going straight in won't provide any gains.

I've seen short rams get close to 200 degree iat's, which would retard so much timing that you would lose power instead of gain.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright guys I understand Flashpro is great and better than the reflash. I'm not buying it though. I specifically put that I'm not interested in flashpro and lets keep this reflash related when I started this thread to avoid what I knew was coming.

Does anyone have the answer to my question?
I just want to know if it's ok to run the REFLASH with the HPS intake hose.
I'm looking for information specific to what I'm asking about in this thread please.....

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Alright guys I understand Flashpro is great and better than the reflash. I'm not buying it though. I specifically put that I'm not interested in flashpro and lets keep this reflash related when I started this thread to avoid what I knew was coming.

Does anyone have the answer to my question?
I just want to know if it's ok to run the REFLASH with the HPS intake hose.
I'm looking for information specific to what I'm asking about in this thread please.....
It's not going to work good, I can answer this cause I used to have the same setup. You will need at least a real Sri and a header. Or a modified box, check out my threads about modified box. A spacer will help too, but if you don't want a header that cost 400 and up plus installation, they are right with flashpro, cause it will gain you 10 whp even if your completely stock. So your choice is $300.00 reflash $400.00 header plus $200.00 sri or just get the flashpro. Pm me for more questions, I won't bash you or anything.

You can't run reflash with a stock motor cause it's not tuned for that. you will lose power instead of gaining. Spend your money with i/h/e and you will gain 20-30whp.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Here's your answer! No, dont do it. The HPS hose doesnt increase the volume of air that the motor is taking in. So, when the VTEC cross-over hits, your car will bog because the intake cant support the airflow needed for VTEC engagement at that RPM. The intake, header, cat-back, cams, and cylinder head are designed to make power from about 1500 RPM to 7800 RPM with VTEC engagement at 5800 RPM. When you install a tune designed for I/H/E on a stock car, you're gonna lose power in some spots. In your case, it will be from 4500 RPM to 5800 RPM.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts