8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my new Si today and the shop came out to see me and it drive away, it had 4 miles when it came off the truck and 8 when I picked it up. The owner took it for a spin. The manager said that the only breakin that Honda required was to keep the cruise control in a varied motion every 30 minutes ( 65,70,75,65,...) this keeps the heads from finding a comfort zone that can lull performance. It sounded good, but what do you guys think? :help:

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
yeah don't keep it in one spot. Almost every car dealer will tell you the same thing. Change your speed around and don't put the cruise on.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
honesty?

That was something new to me. This Si is my first with less than 10000 miles. My truck was already broken in for me. I really need a class on patience.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Remember, all honda engines are broken in 500-700 miles before they hit you. It will say 0 miles, but thats just so you know its new. To seat the piston rings better, feel free to take it through the rev range. I still dont understand why they say to baby the thing from the lot. It feels good, but your not doing much. The piston rings are already seated and if your gonna always push the car, take it through the rev range so the metals can adjust. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
445 Posts
who knows-the dealer maybe thinking of the car than the customer, what person with a brand new car go peeling out of the dealership after picking up the car? Hmm. Maybe I'll do that when mines comes in? LOL. NOt

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
I bet those 4 miles the owner took it for a spin were brutal. You know he didn't just take it for a stroll... he had that thing pushed to the limit, gauranteed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
acetech808 said:
who knows-the dealer maybe thinking of the car than the customer, what person with a brand new car go peeling out of the dealership after picking up the car? Hmm. Maybe I'll do that when mines comes in? LOL. NOt
while that would pleasing as hell to see.. remember your clutch needs to be worn in too ;) so for the cars sake, i wouldn't be doing much launching until the 1-2k mile mark.

same goes with brakes. take it easy on those.

From my experience with motorcycle engines, when i get the car (looking like an 07' model now as i'll be riding a yamaha R1 till then) I will definately not baby it once it is in my hands, but i will also follow hondas instructions at the same time.

---Colin-

·
Registered
342 Posts
My new Civic is now the third brand new car I have owned. With all of them I drove mostly gentle but would do a full throttle accelleration or two every 300 miles or so. I still have my 99 Intrigue with 93000 miles and it still runs great. My 96 Accord had 157000 miles on it and was running great. I might still have it had I not crashed into that deer at 65 mph.

So I agree with taking it through the full rev range durring break-in but not all the time. Also please wait until the engine has come up to full operating temperature (which is good practice even after break-in).

·
Registered
979 Posts
It makes sense to me. I dont' even keep my cruise in one place on my old EJ just to try to keep things even.

·
Registered
351 Posts
bull **** that's not true

1 - 13 of 13 Posts