8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Point blank... STOP doing it.

I'm not sure if any of you have ever overhauled a tranny that's been abused/powershifted. Almost EVERYTHING is worn.

Lately I've been seeing posts of people who's trannys keep going, and failing things etc... Well I don't know how you drive the car, but quite frankly, if you have powershifted at all a decent amount, that's probably the cause.

I did the same thing to my car. When it started to get bad, I checked it out myself. Worn to the quick. I have a warranty, so I got it replaced for free and everything was dandee. No problems from then, and that was months ago.

I'm not accusing anyone of driving like this, but honestly you are only hurting yourself by doing this. A simple quick shift is MUCH less damaging to your tranny, and it wont put you back that much. I don't think you people understand how bad hell shifting really is.

Get good tires and just shift quickly and normally and your numbers won't differ that much. But save your car from the abuse it doesn't deserve.

·
Registered
300 Posts
The only time you should be powershifting is if you are racing. And only in a drag. And only for 0.2443 of a second.

I know I am exaggerating but hey, you barely even get a boost out of powershifting these cars. The internals are so light it's not like you're trying to burn 4th with a Mustang GT. Same goes for clutch kick.
Yes, it is fun, the sound is crazy, it looks aggressive, etc.

But as the OP said, not worth it.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I've never power shifted in my life, the thought of it just doesn't sit well with me. I'll stick with my quick shifting which seems to work well enough for me! :dancingcoolsmiley:

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, shifting fast is fine. It's not good for your synchros, but if you do it every few days or so you'll be alright.

Even when racing powershifting isn't recommended. It rips the gears apart, I have done it and actually seen what it does.

:) Drive well everyone!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^ My little brother drives a 2001-02 Mustang GT and when i let him drive my Civic Si, he showed me how to powershift in it.

I didnt like it. Ill never let him drive my car again.

A civic Si is not a Mustang GT
Yeah, it's terrible.

Even with it being a GT, I still wouldn't do it. It has a beefy transmission, but that doesn't mean it's indestructable.

Pretty soon if he keeps it it up he'll be spending a few K on new gears, synchros, etc...

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Powershifting is shifting without talking your foot off the gas ? And the best way to shift is to shift without chriping the tires? Im sorry for thread jacking!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The best way to shift is to not lose revs. That's why people powershift.

And yes, you simply leave your foot firm on the pedal even when you clutch and shift.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
question... nd ima sound like a newbie...... when i chrip in 2nd nd 3rd? am i power shifffting? i dont think i am im just shifting fast.. , are chrips supse to come wen ur only powershifting?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
question... nd ima sound like a newbie...... when i chrip in 2nd nd 3rd? am i power shifffting? i dont think i am im just shifting fast.. , are chrips supse to come wen ur only powershifting?
Wikipedia says:
Powershifting (a.k.a. full-throttle shift) is a method of shifting used with manual transmissions to reduce the time where the driving wheels are not powered.

Unlike a normal gearchange with a manual transmission, in a powershift, the driver does not let off the accelerator. The clutch is briefly depressed while the shift lever is slammed from gear to gear, keeping the engine in its power band. This helps the car accelerate faster, but increases the wear on the clutch and the transmission beyond normal levels and shortens the expected life on those components. :thumb:

·
Registered
11,043 Posts
I tried it the other night from 1st to 2nd. whoever says it's only a little bit faster... it lowered my 0-60 time by nearly half a second.

A little faster my ass. If you shift at 8200 from 1st to 2nd it's hard to stay in vtec because it crosses over at 5800 and you're not at the crossover from 1st to 2nd unless you hit the gas right before you let the clutch back in to stay in vtec. You'll fall out then go back in, for an extremely slow feeling shift. 1st is what, 35-37 mph at 8200?

2nd gear vtec is 38-40 or somewhere around there. Means you HAVE to hit the gas before or you will fall out.

This is one of the reasons the hondata reflash is effin awesome. You don't have to worry about falling out, so powershifting isn't something you would rather do to be faster.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I tried it the other night from 1st to 2nd. whoever says it's only a little bit faster... it lowered my 0-60 time by nearly half a second.

A little faster my ass. If you shift at 8200 from 1st to 2nd it's hard to stay in vtec because it crosses over at 5800 and you're not at the crossover from 1st to 2nd unless you hit the gas right before you let the clutch back in to stay in vtec. You'll fall out then go back in, for an extremely slow feeling shift. 1st is what, 35-37 mph at 8200?

2nd gear vtec is 38-40 or somewhere around there. Means you HAVE to hit the gas before or you will fall out.

This is one of the reasons the hondata reflash is effin awesome. You don't have to worry about falling out, so powershifting isn't something you would rather do to be faster.
Incorrect.

You get to 5800 right before VTEC because of a few reasons:

1.) Crappy Tires
2.) Traction control is turning on and limiting the power you are getting.
3.) You aren't shifting fast enough.

What's the solution? Keep practicing on shifting, and get better tires, and turn VSA off.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Incorrect.

You get to 5800 right before VTEC because of a few reasons:

1.) Crappy Tires
2.) Traction control is turning on and limiting the power you are getting.
3.) You aren't shifting fast enough.

What's the solution? Keep practicing on shifting, and get better tires, and turn VSA off.
:yeahthat: I have no problem staying in V-tec you just have to get your shift timing down and make sure your gas foot and clutch foot are timed perfectly! :vtec:

·
Registered
597 Posts
The best is shifting hard on a wet road so you stay at redline until about 100kph and then your car bounces up and down like there's an EARTHQUAKE!!!! YEAHHHHH

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
True! I'd rather lose a split second or a couple hundred rpm's and put less wear and tear on my clutch/tranny than powershift but that's just me.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Regardless of the wear 'n tear... powershifting WILL yield faster times in the 1/4. When you powershift, you will land at a higher RPM than quickshifting (even if you manage to stay in VTEC)

The risk/reward factor all depends on the person
You are absolutely correct but I used to run high 14s with good tires on before I had my turbo kit installed.

·
Registered
17,663 Posts
You are absolutely correct but I used to run high 14s with good tires on before I had my turbo kit installed.
you running 'high 14s' with 'good tires' is a relatively worthless piece of info without knowing everything else, like climate, other modifications, etc.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well we can say it was about 500Ft of sea level, I'm not sure of the humidity, but at the time it was just Potenza RE-01Rs as a modification.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts