8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In case anyone is looking for a new set of tires.. I just put some Eagle F1 A/s on my car two days ago and took it out today.. we just had a snowstorm yesterday with a nice layer of freezing rain on top of it so it was a good test for the tires.

On the stocker tires my car could barely get out of our driveway, I had to keep going the whole time so if another car started coming down the road and I had to stop, I had to reverse and do it again.. Highway my car felt very 'loose' and in turns my car would literally slide across the line even at very low speeds.

Eagle F1s.. aren't even rated for winter really (only winter tires are rated for under 45 degrees apparently) and they performed 30248320x better than the ridiculously expensive Blizzaks I had on my other civic. I got out of my driveway with zero slippage, even stoppping halfway up the slope to just test it. The car was still sliding quite a bit on ice, but what can you expect there. On snow, slush, packed snow, dry road etc etc these gripped pretty well. My acceleration was still terrible because there was a lot of slippage, but overall the car gripped a lot better and I found myself taking turns normally without sliding around the road.

These tires = recommended. They are also quiet as hell.. a few days ago on a trip to the cities the stock tires were so loud at 75ish mph that I was having a hard time talking to my brother. With these, I really don't hear much of anything. Smooth ride too. :thumb::thumb: From me

·
faptasic... pew pew pew
58,558 Posts
good to know. just two days ago? your tires are not broken in yet so i wouldnt expect the best of of them yet...

i order my set of f1's from spencer at tire rack since the bridgestone re960s i wanted from another site were going to be on back order for 3 to 6 weeks. i live in the dc metro area and we do get snow but not a lot of it compared to peeps up north and they are good at cleaning up the streets so i a winter tire wouldnt be needed just a great a/s tire.

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You won't be disappointed rippars, these things are gripping a lot more than I expected for such icy/slick conditions. And you're right, they aren't even broken in yet (only about 15 miles on them tops) so hopefully some more grip will come =)

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
you liked them better than your blizzak's? Where you buy them from?

Reactions: Phalanx

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got the blizzaks for nearly the same price from my Honda dealer.. came with 16 or 15 in steelies.. They sucked. These F1s grip a lot better than the Blizzaks did

·
Kansas Chainsaw Massacre
6,296 Posts
he's talking about THESE babies:

Goodyear Eagle F1 All-seasons.
they grip like a summer tire. I've had a set for about a month, and it is a world of difference from the stock Pilot M4's. I haven't driven in heavy snow yet, but they drive through rain like it isn't even there. I am incredibly impressed with these tires.

also, all of the wheel hop I know some of you are suffering from (1st to 2nd and even 2nd to 3rd) completely disappears.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I got the blizzaks for nearly the same price from my Honda dealer.. came with 16 or 15 in steelies.. They sucked. These F1s grip a lot better than the Blizzaks did
LOL, did your dealer sell you bald Blizzaks? The Eagle F1 A/S is a great tire but, I guarantee I'll drive circles around you all winter on my LM-25s.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Hey man, be careful. Tires with soft rubber can freeze solid if it get's cold enough. Or so I've heard, I live in FL. :)

·
faptasic... pew pew pew
58,558 Posts
i only have about 200 miles on my set of f1's but so far i cant complain. there is a bit of road noise but def a alot better than the stock a/s tires. i did like the recess (more noticeable with the goodyears compared to other tires i have seen) goodyear put on the edges to try and help wheels from slight curb damage.

·
Banned
717 Posts
yea, we really like the f1 as (just to clear up, the f1 all season is rated for light snow, the summer f1 is not). the big question mark was the overall winter traction, but in initial testing it did great. im not sure about better than blizzaks, cos i run blizzaks winter wise and 960s for the otehr three season unless i switch to my 17s, then i have a set o eagle f1 (summers) on them. three sets of tires and wheels boys!

on another note, im thinking (just thinking) of switching my v for a hybrid...yes, i will end up being THAT guy, but I need to a: slow down and b: spend less money on gas. someone talk me out of it

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Random questions...

Anyone with a HFP body kit?? and if so are you taking it off during the winter??

This may be a dumb question, but do all-weather tires fit on 17" rims? Or do i need to go and by stock 16" civic EX rims??

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I guarantee I'll drive circles around you all winter on my LM-25s.
Maybe, maybe not. Not if they're the blizzaks I was rolling on.. I got stuck in our driveway several times with them, it would take me sometimes 30 seconds to accelerate up to speed because the tires would just spin.. no grip when cornering, etc etc. These F1s are doing a LOT better in the snow than the blizzaks were, but a vast amount.

·
Registered
17,663 Posts
Good to know :thumb:

I was going to pick up a set of these because the reviews (except snow) were tremendous. but nowhere near me had them.. so I ended up getting some Hankook Ventus HRII's because I needed something ASAP.

Im planning on getting new wheels in the summer, so maybe Ill wrap them in some F1s at that time.

·
Kansas Chainsaw Massacre
6,296 Posts
Anyone with a HFP body kit?? and if so are you taking it off during the winter??

This may be a dumb question, but do all-weather tires fit on 17" rims? Or do i need to go and by stock 16" civic EX rims??
adding and removing the HFP kit is such a pain I wouldn't do this even if i had THOUGHT about it, which I haven't. it's part of the car. it goes on, it stays on...

as for all weather tires, yes. visit discounttiredirect.com or thetirerack.com for some great deals on tires. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts