8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't stand the vibrations and rattling when I had the subwoofer up to level 4-6. I also laughed at the lack of bass this factory subwoofer had.

I decided to install some b-quiet sound deadener - just in the trunk at first, and what a difference it made. The bass sounds a little tighter, my rear windshield vibrates a LOT less, and some of the road noise in the rear toned down a bit. I might do an extra layer of it in the trunk because so much bass happens in that area.

I did buy an aftermarket subwoofer and amp, (from Alpine), because its still not enough for my tastes, but for spending something like 35 bucks on material, it did improve a lot!

Next up is doing the doors on my coupe, specifically around the speakers to further reduce vibrations and to also quiet down road noise.

Then when I convert from tan to black interior, i'm going to do 2 layers on the floor and 1 layer for the rest, including the roof.

I'm only adding 100lbs to the car, if that and it'll make a ton of difference when driving.. Reduced road noise means you don't have to listen to music at a higher volume and you can enjoy the quietness if not listening to music.

I got a 100' roll off ebay, i'm going to see if it'll be enough to do the extra layer in the trunk, door panels, and at least 2 layers on the floor. I should be able to get away with that. Then another 50' roll should finish up the rest.

I'm keeping a good log of all my work and i'm going to publish a site of all the mods i'm doing.

BTW.. i'm selling my entire stock system if anyone wants to upgrade theirs on the LX model.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Silver8th said:
Will just about any 8 in subwoofer replace the stock one? I thought the 350 watt stereo would thump a little harder than it does. Where do you put that padding to make it hit harder?
I put the material on the inside trunk lid. It adds a little weight to the trunk lid, but it doesn't make it shut itself.. So its still good to put on. One layer should be sufficient.

As for the rest of the trunk, remove the carpet all around and place 2 layers of it. You'll have plenty of room to put the carpet back and it'll dramatically reduce vibrations and road noise!

No subwoofer other then the stock one will work on the stock system w/o an aftermarket amp. I believe the stock unit is 8ohms, whereas most subs are 2ohm and 4ohm.

You can a line convertor that converts the signal from the speaker wire into an RCA cable (crutchfield sells it) and you can then do an aftermarket sub.

The eclipse GT with the rockford fosgate system TRUELY BUMPS.. I wish honda did the same. But the eclipse also has a regular rockford fosgate subwoofer and a more powerful amp.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts