8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yet more from:

Autoblog.com said:
Did you hear that? It was the sound of fourteen gauntlets being thrown down by import automakers in the halls of Congress. That's the number of foreign car makers including Toyota, Honda, Nissan, and Hyundai that have said they can meet a CAFE standard of 35 MPG -- they just can't do it by 2020 and request "several more years." How many more is several? No one says, but it's a start.
Read the full story at:

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/11/01/imports-tell-congress-they-can-handle-a-35-mpg-cafe/

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I bet they could all meet it. It's just more profitable to ride out the SUV bandwagon as long as possible.

Money always comes first.

·
Registered
522 Posts
GoHuskies said:
I bet they could all meet it. It's just more profitable to ride out the SUV bandwagon as long as possible.

Money always comes first.
sersiously

money > politics+morals+environment+people..etc.

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
Automobile manufactures could have all met that standard 10 years ago if we only bought small cars like Civics, Corollas, Focuses, etc. We, the consumer are the reasons why Auto makers can't meet that standard. We make the car buying choices. We choose to buy the big SUV's and trucks and mini vans and full size sedans and mid size sedans and sports cars and crossovers. Since we choose those cars, manufactures have no choice but to make those cars or they go out of business. Don't blame this on the manufactures, blame it on us, the consumer. The car market is a consumer driven market. The cars that sell are the ones we choose to buy not the ones that manufactures make us buy.

Manufactures will hit those marks in 15-20 years and keep the consumer happy at the same time once the price of the current fuel saving technology comes down. All the manufactures could make a fleet of cars that can meet that standard but we, the car buying public could not afford it.

The technologies that will get us there are DFI (already here, but not refined enough), Twin FI (turbo AND supercharger), Hybrid drive trains (already here as well, but again, not as refined as it needs to be) and Variable Valve timing (already here and about as maxed out as it can be). All the above are going to have to be put on one, small engine (say a 1.6L I4) in order to meet our power demands and the cafe standards. Right now, that would make our Civics about a 35,000 dollar car instead of a 15,000 dollar one. So could you imagine what a 3.0L V6 powered car would cost?

Or, we could all drive diesel engines but once again, the American car buying public doesn't really like diesel powered cars (trucks we do though) and thanks to the great state of California, diesels are too dirty.

So, don't wave the finger at automotive manufactures, wave it at the man in the mirror. Also, wave the finger at the government for coming up with the dumbest way to increase fuel mileage. If the government really wanted to increase the fuel economy in this country, they need to put a huge gas tax on top of the price of gas. This would force the car buying public (remember, thats who runs the car market) to spend their money on cheap cars that get good gas mileage inoreder to stay away from spending A LOT of money on gas. The reason the gas tax will never happen is, the Senators and House Reps that voted to pass the bill would not get reelected.

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
I agree with the gas tax would have fixed the issues. However I don't trust this government with anymore of my money. Ron Paul would be the guy to help fix this....

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
ryker said:
I agree with the gas tax would have fixed the issues. However I don't trust this government with anymore of my money. Ron Paul would be the guy to help fix this....
LOL....except in Ron Paul's world the government doesn't have the right too issues most taxes or pass laws restricting buisness.

Without the feds who will make sure auto makers meet requirments for emissions and mpg?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts