8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Wegue Wegue
12,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A bit of a rant... kinda, it's early, haven't had my coffee or anything to eat *tummy grumbling*

I had a chuckle today when reading some posts on various sites, not really forum sites, but news sites, facebook, etc.

About 'Domestic' car dealerships dropping their prices to match American prices, so that we wouldn't buy imports and keep jobs in Canada...

Okay..

Here is what confused me... (kinda)

Define import , and domestic... to me a Domestic car is one that is here in Canada... Now list the Domestics... Chrysler, Ford, HONDA... just a few.

Now an Import is a car manufactured off shore, or in a different country, Chrylsers, Fords, HONDA... just a few...

If you go to a dealership, do you ask where your car was made? Excuse me mr. sales man, can I look at the vin, if it isn't from Alliston, I don't want to buy it... My Civic is an Import, although a lot of it's parts are from Canada , it was assembled in the States. A lot of you have Domestic Civics, they were assembled in Canada...

I think the idea of Imports and Domestics is a very gray area if you think about it. Sure Honda isn't a Canadian company.. Neither is Ford, or Chrysler, they are American, a foreign Company, an IMPORT... if you put the mind set that has been drilled into your brain by the American manufacturers...

Woot , end of rant, coffee is ready!

Oh to buy a true Domestic Canadian car, T-rex or a Zenn would be the ones to buy.

:iorun: :iorun: :coffee:

·
Registered
935 Posts
I have this discussion all the time at work...

lets take my car...civic si

it was made in canada and all its parts minus the tranny was made/assembled in canada/usa, yet its a import but i am still supporting the canadian economy

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Regardless of where the car's are made or by who, it's not like the manufacturers are going to drop the prices by thousands of dollars to match the US. You might see a price reduction of a $1000 or bigger incentives, but it's not like Honda is going to start selling Si's for 19g's.

·
Registered
362 Posts
well i feel the way you do too, I work for GM, so when they say my car is an import i say why? it was made in ontario, i'm still supporting the ontario economy, just not GM

i agree with your definition, but the original roots, and R & D for companies like Honda and Toyota are imports

i find it funny though that most domestic cars are having parts and cars assembled in Mexico, but they don't call it an import cuz americans own those plants.... weird

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Cr8tive_leo said:
I had a chuckle today when reading some posts on various sites, not really forum sites, but news sites, facebook, etc.

About 'Domestic' car dealerships dropping their prices to match American prices, so that we wouldn't buy imports and keep jobs in Canada...
Can you provide some links to the news sites?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts