8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Wegue Wegue
12,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cleaning your cabin Filter...

If your cabin air filter looks like this...

It needs to be changed...

Phew.. much better...

40,560 km worth of crap!

Micronair Filter, CT, $19.99 - $8 in CT funny money! Beats the $40 from the dealer for the filter.

Also cleaned my K&N air filter today. It needed it too. Ahhh, fresh air.

But now my engine squeals like a stuck oink oink. Sounds like a belt issue, smells liek a belt issue, might be, maybe not, the earliest I can take her in is Wed. , argh.

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
Did your maintenance minder come up to tell you to change it or did you just happen to want to check it???

@ least we know it's doing it's job!

Belt issue is not good though :(

·
Registered
619 Posts
you must not have been there when I won most dirty engine bay award some random meet long time ago.. I can't wait till I take out my filter.. I'm closing in on 100k =/

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
dude u think thats bad i changed my dads one on his 2001 odessy that thing was 60k miles and it was pretty much black.

·
Wegue Wegue
12,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
adrian, is the K&N filter worth it? how do u clean it? just water or u need some sorta special cleaner?
The K&N I think is worth it. You need to oil it, and when you get the oil, it comes with the cleaner *the recharge kit*

The recharge kit is around $15, good for at least 4 'good' cleanings. (or more, depending on the amount of oil you use and cleaner)

It says not to use anything but the enclosed cleaning solution, it's a degreaser that disolves the old oil on the filter, the oil is a red colour and looks like blood when you apply it.. mmmm.. blood... muuuahhahaaaaa.

Filter and cleaning kit, approx what... $60ish I think (haven't checked lately) Filter is reusable for years, the recharge kit, 4-5 times. Cabin filter $20,total $80 (first time and it lessens as you go along) compared to the $114ish from Dealerships.

Totally worth it if you want to save some coin.

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
looks like it was a good time to change the filter..

pardon my ignorance...but is the filter located behind the glove box? is it just a couple screws to get to it?

·
Wegue Wegue
12,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
looks like it was a good time to change the filter..

pardon my ignorance...but is the filter located behind the glove box? is it just a couple screws to get to it?
No worries, you're the 12th person to ask. :biggrin:

I found this by doing a quick search... DIY

The cabin filter is behind the glove box, simply open the glove box, empty the contents, reach towards the back of the glove box, pull either side in slightly, and the glove box can now flip open.

Now the cabin filter , squeeze each side on the plastic holder, and it slides out, voila, simple , no tools... :shady: ... remove the filter, place the new filter in (match the airflow markers so they point the same way) , replace everything.

Done.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I know the K&N Filter for the sedan is 33-2343. The Si model i believe is 33-2342. Can someone confirm this please for AZNSUPASTAR. I bought mine at Parts Source.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Ok question...since that is as black as it is are you guys doing the "to alleviate dust in the duct work it is best to leave the fan running at least at a low speed all the time" or is this from on/off not using it...using it? That's nasty...makes me scared to check mine...I probably have half of a beach in mine.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Ok question...since that is as black as it is are you guys doing the "to alleviate dust in the duct work it is best to leave the fan running at least at a low speed all the time" or is this from on/off not using it...using it? That's nasty...makes me scared to check mine...I probably have half of a beach in mine.
Good question. I was always told to leave my fan on. Curious too!

·
Wegue Wegue
12,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I like a flow of air, mine is always on, especially where I live, the humidity in the air tends to fog up the window, so it is on.

Just to clarify, the K&N is the engine filter, not the cabin air filter. Micronair is the cabin filter, Bosche filters are Micronair filters. Micron air filters can be bought at CT or Parts Source. (Part Source I think was a bit higher in price)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts