8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to use my only rca input and connect it to a switch that would enable me to select between various rca inputs and preferably it would have a small relocatable selector button. Anybody have any suggestions?

·
Registered
343 Posts
all tyhe RCA selectors ive seen(never really looked) have been for home audio with manual buttons. if it had an electrical switch, it wouldnt be hard to relocate the button, just take it apart, splice in jumpers, and move the switch. i just havent seen any like that. goin to walmart later, ill se what they have there, if any of it is usable.

you could also use RCA y splitters to use 2 items, select the RCA input on the H/U, and whichever device is playing will play thru the speakers. if theyre both on, it would be pretty crazy tho lol. just an idea.

how many different things do u want to connect?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
if you want a unit with quite a few inputs you can try the clarion av switcher or just make your own with some rcas and some relays. This works well for like 2 sources, any more than that and I would buy a unit like the clarion which has technology that will keep from getting interference between the sources.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
$120 is too expensive?? Thats fairly cheap man. You need to be realistic about what you want and what you are going to pay. Then again, everyone on here just buys through EGAY and gets cheep prices on B-Stock so theres a alternative. :face-puke If you need something seriously cheaper go with what I told you with the relays. That would cost you maybe $20-30

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
For the functionality I am looking for, It's just not worth 120 to me. I have wired my parrot 3200 into the rca input to play through my eclipse head unit, and I want a switch to swap back to the aux input for my ipod. The auto sensing feature on the JL is cool, but I don't have to have it.

I also found this, which is cheap.

Amazon.com: Jensen KSW41 Mobile Audio Video Multi-Source Selector Switch: Electronics

I'm not digging the big controller but maybe I can modify it so I can wire in a remote button somewhere else.

This might be the winner though. Soundgate Aux3 $45

Amazon.com: Soundgate AUX3 Auxiliary Input Switcher with 3 Input Capability: Electronics

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But yeah I hear you about the relays. I could go with a couple 6 pin relays which would be a simple project. I kinda want to get a unit with a 3rd input in case I find something else to install.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
how about the fact that you dont need to run the ck3200 through the aux? it is meant to be wired into the speakers directly I have a full aftermarket system and still have great sound from mine which is ran directly to my alpine Type-s components.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I wasn't about to pay 150 for the connector for the parrot to work with the EX premium sound system. If you hook the parrot output before the factory amp it will blow your ears out because you can't get the sound low enough, and if you hook it up after the amp by wiring in the relay to shut off the amp when a call comes in, the speakers draw so much juice that the parrot sounds like **** and flickers when there is sound. I had it hooked up to the tweeters and that is ok, but it's not loud enough, and I got tired of it. I hooked the output up to some rca's and the tweets so that I can hear the call come in on the tweets and then switch the sound to aux to hear it through the main speakers. It works just fine now, I just need an rca switch and It'll be perfect.
:wigglesmiley:

Sssshut up Beavis (in Butthead voice) lol

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
its not due to the speakers drawing too much power, its the way you wire it. you need to use the rear speaker in/out circuit to cut the turnon for the factory amp and it will work fine. I had the same problem and the tech at parrot sent me the service doc. The simpler things work the better man.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Well I used the yellow mute wire ran to a relay to cut the amp power. And I don't know what you mean by using the rear speaker in/out to cut the amp power. I think I got the amp power covered using the yellow mute wire. But who knows. I guess the service docs might help me but it seems to be working ok for me the way I got it and it's very difficult working with the wires all the down there by the factory amp. So I'm probably done messing with this for awhile. If I come across a better way to do it, I might rewire it someday if I get bored.

So for the rear line in, are you referring to pins 9, 10, 21, 22, ? I don't know what these wires do. Maybe I should call parrot and get the service docs you referred to.

http://www.parrot.com/documents/en/support/schemasdinstallation/pdf/wiring_honda_ac000057aa_2.pdf

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
no. i mean use right rear speaker + in and out as the relay to cut the amo turn on off. it has a internal relay that will act like if you add a external one. the yellow wire has problems giving enough ground and can lock up the unit. when it has the factory amp sending voltage in while it is trying to play audio from the phone, it freaks out. if you successfully cut off the amp it works fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.