8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I will start by saying the rules, the rules are simple dont bash and dont be a jacka**, if you dont have something constructive to say then just dont post.....Second if you say "car a" sucks, then tell me why not just that it sucks......

So here is my dilemma, I was pretty sure that I wanted a new car (currently have 2008 Civic Si coupe with all bolts ons and Cobb Ap) and was debating between keeping it or getting a 2003-2005 s2000. This decision was hard enough, but then randomly i drove a 2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP (260hp, 260ftlbs) and really enjoyed it, and now im even more torn, I never, repeat never liked GM, but after driving the solstice I can actually see my self driving it, so the questions is?????

Do I get the s2000
or do I get the GXP
or do I keep the Si......

Please give me some input and advice........(btw this is based off of the cars so ignore monthly payment and insurance differences, however don't ignore maintenance differences in your suggestions)

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well both of those options are small convertibles, so is that practical for you? You'll only have two seats and very little cargo room
im 22 with no kids, and dont plan on kids any time soon, i usually dont transport much with me....and my gf has a hatch so i can use her car if i need to..... im pretty sure the practicality side of things should work for me, i figure if ever it would it would be at this point in my life......

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Without reading a single word of the thread I'll impart you with this,

Shoulda kept the Si.

But no seriously, I've heard good things about the GXP Kappa cars, however, I've read that they're nightmares ergonomically. Little things like window switches being oddly placed causing you to have to contort your arm to reach them. Plus I hear the manual top is more complicated than other cars in it's class where, despite it being a manual drop top, you could simply lower the top from within the car.

As for the S2000, not much wrong there.

So if you don't mind the loss of practicality, I'd say go with the S2000. If you think you'll mind the loss of practicality, I'd say stick with the Si.

I've heard otherwise great things about those Kappa turbocharged cars, but I know if it were me, the layout of the interior and the apparent awkwardness of it would drive me insane after a while.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there anyway that i can get a mod to put up a poll that shows

What car should i get?

Keep Civic Si Coupe

Get 2003-2005 S2000

Get 2007 Solstice GXP

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Oh another thing, do you plan on modding the car? If so...hmmm the GXP would be a better starting point since it's turbocharged right outta the box.

If you are thinking of modding it, then it becomes a question of whether or not the car's potential is enough to outweigh it's downsides. If it's going to be your daily, I'd argue no and still would get the S2000, just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Without reading a single word of the thread I'll impart you with this,

Shoulda kept the Si.

But no seriously, I've heard good things about the GXP Kappa cars, however, I've read that they're nightmares ergonomically. Little things like window switches being oddly placed causing you to have to contort your arm to reach them. Plus I hear the manual top is more complicated than other cars in it's class where, despite it being a manual drop top, you could simply lower the top from within the car.

As for the S2000, not much wrong there.

So if you don't mind the loss of practicality, I'd say go with the S2000. If you think you'll mind the loss of practicality, I'd say stick with the Si.

I've heard otherwise great things about those Kappa turbocharged cars, but I know if it were me, the layout of the interior and the apparent awkwardness of it would drive me insane after a while.
thank you for good feedback, yeah some things were a bit weird but i seemed ok with it, then again i was in the car for about a hour so time would tell i guess, as for the top yest the s2k top was better but the gxp "procedure" didnt bother me

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh another thing, do you plan on modding the car? If so...hmmm the GXP would be a better starting point since it's turbocharged right outta the box.

If you are thinking of modding it, then it becomes a question of whether or not the car's potential is enough to outweigh it's downsides. If it's going to be your daily, I'd argue no and still would get the S2000, just my opinion.
my Si is my daily and it is modded, like wise the s2k or gxp if i get either would be my daily and yes i plan on modding both, honestly tho crazy power is not my intention but power i do want meaning im not going to make either 500+hp more like the range of 350-400whp as my goal

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
my Si is my daily and it is modded, like wise the s2k or gxp if i get either would be my daily and yes i plan on modding both, honestly tho crazy power is not my intention but power i do want meaning im not going to make either 500+hp more like the range of 350-400whp as my goal
That's still a decent amount of power. I'd check out Solstice webpages to see how many other owners have pushed that kinda power from their cars and what issues (if any) than ran into. The engine may (or may not) be able to handle it and things like if the transmission can.

I'd actually join both forums to see what amount of cash people spent and on what type of mods, difficulty of installation and have that play a large role in your decision. I'd say more if I were more familiar with how well both power trains take to mods but I'm not really privy to that sorta info.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's still a decent amount of power. I'd check out Solstice webpages to see how many other owners have pushed that kinda power from their cars and what issues (if any) than ran into. The engine may (or may not) be able to handle it and things like if the transmission can.

I'd actually join both forums to see what amount of cash people spent and on what type of mods, difficulty of installation and have that play a large role in your decision. I'd say more if I were more familiar with how well both power trains take to mods but I'm not really privy to that sorta info.
yeah i am already a member and searching, honestly maybe 320-350 is more what im looking for, and i know that many members on the solstice forum have hit that number, i feel like hitting that with the s2k would be most expensive even more than the si or so i think

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Do you actually like the way the Solstice looks? They're both discontinued now, S2k no longer made, Pontiac straight up dead, but I think the aftermarket for S2Ks is a loooottt bigger. S2k isn't as fast straight line, but there's a lot of modding options there plus they just look way better.

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
Don't worry about being practical. I deliver pizza in my s2k. I took a 380 dollar order which consisted of 5 huge food trays with out a spill or issue. The s2k is so fun to drive and its one car I can say that I love the way it looks 100 percent. Drop top is awesome.

The Si is sick too, I loved mine. It's all up to what you want. Go drive an s2k if you haven't already. Everytime I look at a pic of my Si a tear comes to my eye. That's how much I loved that car. But I don't regret my decision going with the S2k.

The Si has come a along way in terms of aftermarket. You can make them corner real nice and make stupid power. Just something to consider.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do you actually like the way the Solstice looks? They're both discontinued now, S2k no longer made, Pontiac straight up dead, but I think the aftermarket for S2Ks is a loooottt bigger. S2k isn't as fast straight line, but there's a lot of modding options there plus they just look way better.
alot of people dont, but i actually love the way it looks, and yes i know pontiac is dead, and i know the aftermarket is not as big, that is the advantage to going with either of the two hondas (s2k or si). But I feel like the solstice market has enough go get me to my goals so idk.....

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Don't worry about being practical. I deliver pizza in my s2k. I took a 380 dollar order which consisted of 5 huge food trays with out a spill or issue. The s2k is so fun to drive and its one car I can say that I love the way it looks 100 percent. Drop top is awesome.

The Si is sick too, I loved mine. It's all up to what you want. Go drive an s2k if you haven't already. Everytime I look at a pic of my Si a tear comes to my eye. That's how much I loved that car. But I don't regret my decision going with the S2k.

The Si has come a along way in terms of aftermarket. You can make them corner real nice and make stupid power. Just something to consider.
that is true i know the si now finally has support and that the potential is there, and yes I have driven all three cars and all are fund the s2k was great but also having 260ftlbs and turbo was great too, then again so was 9k redline in the 03 that i drove

1 - 20 of 69 Posts