8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought my FBP FA5 on May 7, so it's almost 6 month to the day since I signed for my car. It's at approximately 10k miles. At the time I was excited and loved the styling (and I still do to some extent), but I'm getting bored. 197 hp, 130ish ft-lb torque, and most of it is untap unless you vtec the crap out of it, everyday driving just isn't as fun anymore. Considering I went from a 2002 Jetta GLS with only 110 hp, I thought the Si would be more fun. Now I have had a taste of speed, I want more, more, and more! I think the turning point was when my buddy bought the new R32, with the sick styling, usable hp and torque at low rpm. Yes, I know it's 35k and I bought my Si for 22.6k (with navi), but it's just seems really slow now.

I was driving back to Seattle from SF earlier this week and I almost fell asleep when I was going 80 in 6th gear. I know it's a long drive, but I'm just not having as much fun driving it anymore. On uphills it seems like it struggles sometimes, which makes for a sad, depressing drive...There were a few instances in which I dropped it to 4th and punched it hoping it would have more ooomph, but not really...vtec doesn't do it for me anymore. :xyxnervou

Thoughts and suggestions for what I can do to fall in love with my Si again, as I'm paying for another 4 years and don't want to divorce it just yet. Or perhaps I should trade it in for something different in a couple of years. I'm making decent money, so anything below 40k is well within my price range.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
start modding it... DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i/e/h will wakeup your ride... then reflash it

get a supercharger

get new wheels

detail the **** outta it

get nitrous

get something!!!

any mod will wakeup your ride and you'll have alot more fun with your car.. get one thing at a time, get bored, then get something else

·
Registered
87 Posts
or buy a crotch rocket.. cant beat the bang for buck, great gas mileage, great thrills, 0-142mph in 9.8 seconds... DO IT! dont be scurrred~!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
shutter13 said:
start modding it... DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i/e/h will wakeup your ride... then reflash it

get a supercharger

get new wheels

detail the **** outta it

get nitrous

get something!!!

any mod will wakeup your ride and you'll have alot more fun with your car.. get one thing at a time, get bored, then get something else
ummm...I still like to sell this my FA5 some time, and I don't think modding it will be a good idea. plus, it's cheap and easy to get that first 20 hp, but that next 20 hp will cost an arm and a leg, and changing the handling of the Si (which is superb for a 20k vehicle) forever.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I think it's just human nature man. People get bored with just about everything in life. Do you remember the first time you drove a car period? The first time you hit 80 mph (or another fast speed)? The first time you drove by yourself?

All that stuff was probably extremely exciting when you first did it, but now doesn't hold much appeal.

If you don't like the car anymore, those are the facts. I don't think there's anything I could say over the internet to make you change your mind. I love the Si and could spend another 30 minutes typing out a novel about it, but you are the one that would have to drive your car everyday.

I would say maybe do some mods to it to change it up a bit, but I'm guessing that would also be a temporary fix. You could also try test driving some other cars (not just the ones that are more expensive and faster) to keep in perspective how nice yours is. I gurantee if you go drive a Corrolla or a regular Civic you will miss your Si. :thumb:

I hope everything works out in whatever way makes you the most happy :thumb:

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
wwbaker3 said:
ummm...I still like to sell this my FA5 some time, and I don't think modding it will be a good idea. plus, it's cheap and easy to get that first 20 hp, but that next 20 hp will cost an arm and a leg, and changing the handling of the Si (which is superb for a 20k vehicle) forever.
thats the beauty of bolt - ons.... take everything off and put the stock parts back on when you're going to sell.... and then you can sell your parts seperatley

if you wont mod and cant sell then idk what to tell you... my only suggestion would be a full detail.... my car always drives better when its super clean :laughing:

but a few simples mods would be your best bet...

x's intake, catback exhaust, reflash.... all very simple mods for power

wheels and new tires... looks and handling

HFP suspension kit... looks (sorta - it drops it .5") and handling... its a honda OEM part too

or buy a motorcycle like some one suggested hahah

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I suppose it's like dating a girl for the long haul - you are excited, in that "honeymoon" mentality for the first 3 months - then you get bored and start taking that beautiful girl for granted. You start checking out other beautiful ladies at the bars, streets, etc, and forget how nice you have it...

I guess I just didn't expect to be getting that "itch" so early. Damn my friend and his new R32!

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
The Si isn't so extravagant that it will keep you happy with its speed for years and years if you have that itch. I got essentially the same thing as you, I went back to car shopping. I keep choosing to stick it out with my car, knowing that I will get something better soon! :D

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
wwbaker3 said:
Yeah, I suppose it's like dating a girl for the long haul - you are excited, in that "honeymoon" mentality for the first 3 months - then you get bored and start taking that beautiful girl for granted. You start checking out other beautiful ladies at the bars, streets, etc, and forget how nice you have it...

I guess I just didn't expect to be getting that "itch" so early. Damn my friend and his new R32!
1) the R32 isnt that fast.... for the money there are much better options out there

2) when your friend's R32 is dying at high miles... your Honda engine will be running strong

3) the grass is always greener on the other side.... i bet he envies your Si in some aspects :thumb:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
shutter13 said:
if you wont mod and cant sell then idk what to tell you... my only suggestion would be a full detail.... my car always drives better when its super clean :laughing:

HFP suspension kit... looks (sorta - it drops it .5") and handling... its a honda OEM part too

or buy a motorcycle like some one suggested hahah
Great suggestions, especially on the detailing part. I know it won't change the hp or handling, but I agree, it does "drive better" when it's been detailed. And yeah, I might have to get the HFP suspension kit, as it seems like a great mod without changing the performance. However, I'm not really into cosmetic mods, as it just rices the car out too much for my taste.

And yeah, the bike thing, hahaha, great suggestion, but I don't think my fiance will like the idea of me getting one. :biggrin:

·
Registered
837 Posts
TOMMYTOM83 said:
or buy a crotch rocket.. cant beat the bang for buck, great gas mileage, great thrills, 0-142mph in 9.8 seconds... DO IT! dont be scurrred~!
:yeahthat:

or mod the hell out of it!

·
Premium Member
37,357 Posts
I must be a freak. I love this friggin' car. I don't want to trade it in for squat. Now if anything happened to it, I wouldn't buy another one. I do get bored easily. This is just the second car I've ever had that I was really pleased with and I wouldn't be able to mod the daylights out of another SI. With the mods I have, I'm damned happy.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
shutter13 said:
3) the grass is always greener on the other side.... i bet he envies your Si in some aspects :thumb:
Yeah, he did and asked me for advice. He recently graduated from college like me, so has some spending cash now. He was going to get an 07 or 08 STi before I talked him out of it due to the styling (too bold for the career path we're going for). He asked about my Si and decided it was too "college," and went all out with the European styling.

I had initially thought he was either going to go with a C-Class or a 1-Series, but he went with a hot-hatch instead, cuz I've been raving about it. I'm depressed...

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
wwbaker3 said:
Great suggestions, especially on the detailing part. I know it won't change the hp or handling, but I agree, it doesn't "drive better" when it's been detailed. And yeah, I might have to get the HFP suspension kit, as it seems like a great mod without changing the performance. However, I'm not really into cosmetic mods, as it just rices the car out too much for my taste.

And yeah, the bike thing, hahaha, great suggestion, but I don't think my fiance will like the idea of me getting one. :biggrin:
yup much more enjoyable to drive a clean car.... its my "free hp/handling" mod :popcorn:

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
i understand i feel the same way too. after seeing a couple of these people getting themselves a Mugen Si, make me don't want to drive my 06 Si coupe anymore......... i feel so sad and bored........ i don't know what to do.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
stop being one gear too high. that will make a big difference in not having to VTEC the **** out of it.

you could never go into VTEC and the car would still feel plenty powerful.

people dont realize it, but VTEC is just there to maintain the torque from falling off and keeps it flat, most cars fall off in torque in the last 2-3k revs, while the VTEC just keeps it up, max torque for non VTEC is 125lb-ft @ 2500RPM. max torque in VTEC is 135lbft @ 6200. our engines make torqu throughout the entire rev range.

people also dont realize that this car runs higher gear ratiors than other cars to offset the low crank torque. if your gonna short shift it just so that the RPMS can drop, your cutting torque.

try to drive it in the RPM range of a normal car and of course it feels slow.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts