8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hello everyone. im currently stationed in iraq and will be here until dec 08. im thinking of sellin my 07 civic si but i dont know if ill be making the right decision financially. so heres the info. i bought the 07 civic si brand new in february with no money down at 9% apr financing(ouch i know). ive been makin payments of 400 per month up to now which amounts to about 4000 dollars. my payoff amount as of right now is at 20000. the car barely has 9000 miles on it.

i dont really know if i want to keep the car when i get back from iraq because i might get stationed in korea and they dont allow you to have a personal owned vehicle. ill be making payments for a car that i never drive plus theres insurance for storage. plus i was thinkin of gettin a used is250 when i got back but im not sure if its the right idea.

if im already decided on sellin the car, would it be right to sell the car now? or should i keep making the payments until i get back? i know the car will depreciate in value over time but im just not too sure on what to do.

or i could just keep it? but itll never be driven which is a shame...

guys and girls, i am just lost. help a soldier out will ya? thanks.

·
Premium Member
37,357 Posts
Man I was in your same shoes a few months ago. Part of me was ready to trade. If they were making the Camaro now, I probably would have. I say wait until you get back in December of next year. It's easy to forget about your car when you're not around it. My payments are a bit more than yours and it was livin' it up in my garage. Man, when I got back in September, I practically attacked my car. Well, after waiting 3 days to drive it. :p I'm glad I didn't do anything rash!

Now, if when you get back you definitely have orders to Korea, then I understand.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
1. Just don't go to korea.
2. Keep the car and stay CONUS, probably get deployed again.
3. Go to Korea, keep the car, make payments.

Do you think you could refrain from spending the 400/month in Korea on partying? Probably not right. So put it in the car. That's my opinion.

·
Premium Member
11,200 Posts
hello everyone. im currently stationed in iraq and will be here until dec 08. im thinking of sellin my 07 civic si but i dont know if ill be making the right decision financially. so heres the info. i bought the 07 civic si brand new in february with no money down at 9% apr financing(ouch i know). ive been makin payments of 400 per month up to now which amounts to about 4000 dollars. my payoff amount as of right now is at 20000. the car barely has 9000 miles on it.

i dont really know if i want to keep the car when i get back from iraq because i might get stationed in korea and they dont allow you to have a personal owned vehicle. ill be making payments for a car that i never drive plus theres insurance for storage. plus i was thinkin of gettin a used is250 when i got back but im not sure if its the right idea.

if im already decided on sellin the car, would it be right to sell the car now? or should i keep making the payments until i get back? i know the car will depreciate in value over time but im just not too sure on what to do.

or i could just keep it? but itll never be driven which is a shame...

guys and girls, i am just lost. help a soldier out will ya? thanks.
Go to kuwait and buy a chevy lumina SS...you will not be disapointed at all. Then have it shipped back to the USA. Its a GTO but looks better!!

Had a budy picked one up when he was in kuwait..loves it to death!

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'd try to sell it privately (with the help of family/friends stateside) and if that doesn't work, sell it to CARMAX. Yes, you will take a hit but at least you won't be paying for a car that you're not going to drive. Live and learn, I guess.

In any case, thanks for serving and do us all a favor and come back safely! I was deployed to Camp Speicher (Tikrit, Iraq) with my Army National Guard unit back in 2005 so I can relate to what you're going through. I did store a 1994 Miata stateside and after reconnecting the battery, its started back up after 14 months of sitting!

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I would ship the car out there and leave it on the road for the insurgents to steal. With all the noise the car can make with rattles, they will give away their position all the time. War over.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.