8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Our cars are getting old enough that I expect that most everybody's daily driver key looks something like this:

I don't know whether to blame Valeo (who made our keyless remotes) or Honda (who defined specs for what Valeo supplied), but the button images are printed onto the buttons and wear out with daily use.

Thankfully, between the two of them, somebody decided this would not do, and the keyless remote for the 2012-2013 Civic was updated to address this. The plastic for the buttons is now two-shot molded, with white plastic for the icon images, and black plastic for the buttons. The button plastic is no longer fused to the rubber seal, but is a separate part, and the remote's top casing now has recesses to accommodate webbing between the buttons. The shape of the circuit board has not changed, so the new front parts are readily transplanted onto old back parts.

I bought a used 2013 Civic key; a used two-shot molded part will still wear better than a new printed part. The remote to look for has an FCC ID of N5F-A05TAA.

8th gen and 9th gen remotes:

Disassembled Front view:

Most pieces flipped:

See the white plastic on the back of the buttons? That is the same plastic that forms the icons on the button faces.

Final product:

I didn't snap a photo, but the backside (where the Honda logo is) is also slightly different. Our keys have their FCC ID of N5F-S0084A molded into the face of the cover as raised letters. The cover for the A05TAA key is physically compatible but has its ID printed onto the face instead of molded. The printed letters are faint and get even fainter with wear and make for a cleaner look.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
My 2010s daily use key lost most of its paint.....but needed a replacement for other issues. The paint on replacement was much more durable, and my current 2013s still looks great as well. They changed something at some point.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts