8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...would you take advantage of uninformed (stupid) buyers?

Or would you only seek minimal profits for yourself?

I have heard so many stories of buyers scoring invoice pricing on their vehicles, but I've heard so many more stories of people getting raped at the dealership.

Fact: Common people are stupid.

·
Registered
90 Posts
sales men and most dealers are shady they will bend over backwards till you sign the sale paperwork then after that they dont want to know you if you have problems with your car.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
My dad is a used car dealer. He works for himself and has no employees. My dad doesn't try to scam anyone, he just tells them exactly what they're getting. If they want to shop around at other dealerships, he tries to help them find something somewhere else (he knows a lot of other dealers in the area). Having a dealer for a dad proves to be pretty useful. I didn't pay tax on my car because it's in his dealership's name, I get into "dealer only" auctions, my dad knows how to haggle with other dealers, and he's basically a mechanic so he teaches me cool ****.

But on topic: I think I would try to be just like my dad and make the customer happy. Gaining a good reputation for the future is better than getting quick cash in the present.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The reason why some people get ripped off and some don't: Because some people do research and others don't. (Mechanical issues aside - And even then, take it to a private shop before buying!)

I was in car sales and now I'm running our "custom" department, but I was the exact same way with every single customer as far as my attitude and my work ethic. Some got awesome deals, and some didn't. When we shot our first offer, some people would counter, but some wouldn't.

If the price on the car is 17,995.00 and you (as sales person) think it's worth maybe 16.5...and somebody says "Sure, I'll take it" at the asking price, are you going to go back and say, "Actually, no, I won't take that because it's only worth 16.5!" No, you wouldn't. And if you did, you wouldn't be in sales very long.

Bottom line is, no matter how nasty and sneaky your salesperson could be, if you're properly prepared you'll get a good deal. (Unless they just say no, which they might.) Keep in mind, much of the buying process is also picking out a good dealership to work with. Don't just test drive the car, test out the dealership as well. I don't understand how people sign the dotted line without doing any research. If somebody came up and said "Give me $xx,xxx", wouldn't you ask a couple questions first?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Would I? No. It all depends on the dealers ethics and the morals of each individual salesman. A salesperson with a good reputation gets more referals and can be very successful with comission if he sells volume.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The reason why some people get ripped off and some don't: Because some people do research and others don't. (Mechanical issues aside - And even then, take it to a private shop before buying!)

I was in car sales and now I'm running our "custom" department, but I was the exact same way with every single customer as far as my attitude and my work ethic. Some got awesome deals, and some didn't. When we shot our first offer, some people would counter, but some wouldn't.

If the price on the car is 17,995.00 and you (as sales person) think it's worth maybe 16.5...and somebody says "Sure, I'll take it" at the asking price, are you going to go back and say, "Actually, no, I won't take that because it's only worth 16.5!" No, you wouldn't. And if you did, you wouldn't be in sales very long.

Bottom line is, no matter how nasty and sneaky your salesperson could be, if you're properly prepared you'll get a good deal. (Unless they just say no, which they might.) Keep in mind, much of the buying process is also picking out a good dealership to work with. Don't just test drive the car, test out the dealership as well. I don't understand how people sign the dotted line without doing any research. If somebody came up and said "Give me $xx,xxx", wouldn't you ask a couple questions first?
i agree with this guy....i myself work in a dealership...those ppl that said they got raped..? its their own fault...they shouldav researched first before actually stepping in the dealership and buy the car.....all salesman will try to get as much money from the buyer if they can...

Salesman will be always offensive unto buyers..
Buyers..? be more offensive than salesman...

·
Registered
227 Posts
i agree with this guy....i myself work in a dealership...those ppl that said they got raped..? its their own fault...they shouldav researched first before actually stepping in the dealership and buy the car.....all salesman will try to get as much money from the buyer if they can...

Salesman will be always offensive unto buyers..
Buyers..? be more offensive than salesman...
I agree that sometimes when people get raped it is their own fault but most dealers are still scumbags. Seems like nowadays even if you are prepared and do your research it is hard to get a fair price on a vehicle. Especially used hondas because of the high demand. The dealer may knock some money off the price but that is only because they mark them up thousands of dollars over retail value. They want you to think you got a good deal because they reduced the price but really they are still making a killing on you. It seems like if you try to get a fair price the dealers just say no. This is why you see so many cars on dealer lots for months or even years. They would rather let the car sit there and wait for a sucker than sell it to us for a fair price. Most of the cars are not even that nice or have issues. I also want to know what happened to reconditioning and fixing up the vehicles. Dealers don't do this as much anymore. I looked at a used rsx-s before I got my new si and it had plenty of scratches and dings. The windshield wiper blades were peeling apart and they still wanted more than retail value for the car. You think the scumbags would at least change the freaking wiper blades. Keep in mind that this was not a tiny ghetto dealer but a major toyota dealer with a big used department. So pretty much I am saying that car sales has gone way downhill in the last 10-15 years. This is why I decided to buy a brand new car. I got tired of looking at over priced cars that are not even that nice and messing with scum dealers that don't want to negotiate. I think if I was a salesman it would bother me that I made a living being a scumbag and trying to rape people every day.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
. I think if I was a salesman it would bother me that I made a living being a scumbag and trying to rape people every day.
I am a salesman. I dont make a living being a scumbag, or try to "rape people every day" so you can take your lame assumtions and GFY.

·
Registered
7,475 Posts
If I were a car salesman I'd try to bring out what's more important in the car. Not like salesmen do nowadays. "It had power windows and keyless entry, and OH WAIT! look what the radio can DO!"

That kind of thing drives me crazy. lol
When I was looking at cars the salespeople wouldn't be quiet on the drive because that's all they were talking about! I'd ask people what other cars they've been looking at and see what they want in a car, mainly in the way it drives. I think it would be fair too to refer them to vehicles outside of the make you're selling.

·
Registered
81 Posts
i've been selling hondas for 6 years and i've never TRIED to rape people, i'm an honest salesperson. HOWEVER it is a fact that the happier the buyer the more profit they will pay you. and while sometimes you feel bad making more money off of the people that really like you, it's just part of the business. the laydowns that you make money off of keep food on your plate and pay the bills, and make up for the a-holes that nickle and dime you down to nothing, and berate you in the process

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
i've been selling hondas for 6 years and i've never TRIED to rape people, i'm an honest salesperson. HOWEVER it is a fact that the happier the buyer the more profit they will pay you. and while sometimes you feel bad making more money off of the people that really like you, it's just part of the business. the laydowns that you make money off of keep food on your plate and pay the bills, and make up for the a-holes that nickle and dime you down to nothing, and berate you in the process
:rotfl:
The buyer has to pay bills too. The less money they spend on a car the more they can spend on bills.

It's just business. Both ways.

·
Registered
81 Posts
:rotfl:
The buyer has to pay bills too. The less money they spend on a car the more they can spend on bills.

It's just business. Both ways.
it's just business but this is how i make a living, be kind to your salespeople. we're not all snakes, we're just doing our jobs like anyone else. i get so mad when people walk onto the lot and i've been nothing but kind, and they get in my face and are rude

1 - 20 of 25 Posts