8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Si-Onara
5,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if most of the X intake gains are due to the MAF housing then wouldnt it make more sense to try and make a Poor Man's Mugen Icebox and let X modify the housing to the factory intake? Maybe its just me but i think you would benefit from both worlds. Get some cool air from the foglight area, Go through a K&N air filter, straight into the modified MAF.

just a thought what do you all think?

·
CHOO-CHOO!!!!!!
14,929 Posts
Sounds like a good idea to me.:thumb:

·
Premium Member
10,300 Posts
You still won't get the flow. I already tried both setups and The SRI works better. I think the Ice box setup causes some turbulence with the way the MAF is modded. I would have to mess around with different designs for the vanes with the cover and the stock style filter. I tried just modding the vanes and keeping the stock airbox with the inside all smoothed out. It worked OK but the SRI setup works way better. actually the box setup had a little better low end but the SRI setup was better in the midrange and top end. It wasn't that far behind on the low end either. So my conclusion was Ice the ice box.

·
Registered
283 Posts
that sounds great in theory....but I don't think you will be able to get enough airflow into the engine...Also is has been proven on the dyno that just the k&n filter lost whp slightly only about 1 whp or so, but no gains from it. my 2 cents :)

·
CHOO-CHOO!!!!!!
14,929 Posts
What about the bottom part of the stock intake fused with X's intake, or a similar intake?

·
Premium Member
21,034 Posts
people keep trying to finding ways to cheap out on buying the whole intake.

·
Premium Member
21,034 Posts
^ i agree bro.. seriously.. all these new ideas have been considered already.. this SRI is a SRI for a reason.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Right, so x knows everything about intakes, so no one should try to come up with a better idea. Everyone should just blindly pay x for his super intake!
Give me a break.

^ i agree bro.. seriously.. all these new ideas have been considered already.. this SRI is a SRI for a reason.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
how can anything be better when you allow less air to get in? He is using the top rated filter on the market, the only way anything could be a touch better would be to make some sort of scoop or something forcing more air against the filter.

And for the 1hp it might give you, don't even waste your time.

end again.

·
Registered
13,652 Posts
glad i am not the only one that has pondered this idea
x's version would work better b/c of the lack of restriction in the piping. Less distance for the air to travel and it would also have better response. The apexi filter was said to be better than the k&n one too from what I remember.

·
Registered
13,652 Posts
Right, so x knows everything about intakes, so no one should try to come up with a better idea. Everyone should just blindly pay x for his super intake!
Give me a break.
No, people should try to figure out their own way to make a better intake, but he asked for people's opinions and that's what the majority of people will say b/c he put alot of time into r&d. Untill someone else does that much, then his will be better.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts