8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
or other race headers

when it comes time for smog can i just put the stock headers and stock exhaust back on to get it to pass since i have a shop and i only have to smog it every 7 years.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
or other race headers

when it comes time for smog can i just put the stock headers and stock exhaust back on to get it to pass since i have a shop and i only have to smog it every 7 years.
bolt-ons are generally completely reversible. just make sure you turn the bolts counter-clockwise to get them off.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
Yes you can just put the stock stuff back on when ever you want. Usually a cat back only comes with everythink from the end of the cat back,not with the cat to. Good luck man.....:thumb:

·
Registered
303 Posts
from what i've gathered (i'm new as well) when smog time comes around you will need to get the stock cat back into your car. i have been led to believe all aftermarket exhausts meet smog standards.

so if you have a;

- raceheader you are going to have to put the stock header and stock cat back in

- shorty header and a high flow cat you just have to swap the cats

looking at pictures of the installations it looks like swapping the actual header is much more labor intensivbe than just the high flow cat for the stock cat.

but again, i am new to modding and this is just some information i've picked up using this 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum - Search Forums

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
the cat is the only thing that affects emissions in the exhaust system

a HFC may or may not pass emissions; i haven't really heard one way or the other. i intend to take emissions with my aftermarket cat, and if i don't pass, i'll put the stock cat for the retry.

regardless, having a HFC is much better for the environment than no cat at all. it's like throwing your can in the recycling or trash.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
you will get more get from getting a downpipe. Then put it back when emissions is due.

Or get the shorty and the downpipe,that will give you almost equivalent of a race header.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Yes if you have no check engine light, and if your okay with your mechanic.
but the downpipe takes like less than 30 minutes to put back, that's why it's better than the race header.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
i think the RT cat is over price, just go catless and get the t1r.
the t1r doesn't have a catalytic converter, of course it's going to be cheaper. it's terrible for the environment to run your car without a cat.

I can pass PA emmissions tests with a RT HFC. :wavey:
cool, that's good to know. definitely gonna keep mine on for my test

Or get the shorty and the downpipe,that will give you almost equivalent of a race header.
how do you figure?

will i pass state inspection without a cat?>
no

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
I figure because i put one on my uncle's car and we went to the dyno.

he's baseline is 179whp with cai/shorty header and downpipe and tsudo exhaust 2.5 inches. he made 198whp 19whp with these mods.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
There's a guy there with similar setup, with dc race header only making 200whp,
there's not much diff in top end, only diff race header makes is at low and mid range.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts