8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of days ago I happen to get a ticket/work order on a 2007 Si over at my dealership. The costumers complaint were as follow:

"engine might be knocking,please check and advise"

So my first thought was that the owner might have put the incorrect octane rating(87 octane)gasoline in the vehicle,either way I test drove the car. At the begining of the drive I noticed no sound,but once I started to speed up(aproximately 30mph) the car started to make a "tapping" sound almost as if you were to tap a pencil on a desk. the faster I drove the car the faster the noise became. After 1 mile of the test drive I went back to the dealership placed the car on the lift and had some one drive the car while I lifted the car in the air. While i was underneath the car I found that the noise was coming from the transmission. from there I went to the service advisor and ask to drop the trans and open it up to see what was wrong. 3 hours later I got the go ahead to do the work. Took me a total of 1 hour to drop and open up the transmission, and to my suprise this is what I found:

On top of that the car only has 7,000 miles and the costumer has gone thru 2clutches on this car.

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
Oh ya looks like My old transmission.. Honda paid for it but I know it was from lots of 5k RPM dumps.. Mine made the exact noise yours is and I thought it was a half Shaft first. I am also on my 2nd clutch. My car was not driveable when mine did this though and It had to be towed to the dealer.

My advice, tell your service manager whats going on And see if He can talk Honda into paying for a new one. It will cost them about $4,200. They did it for Me with a "good faith one time replacement". I guess if I grenade this new one then it's on Me.

They would not rebuild it because of the excessive amounts of metal floating around in there. They may try to have you just replace the final drive but I would not reccomend that.

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The owner of the car admits to learning how to drive stick shift in this car, the only thing that upsets me is that he swears up and down that he never dogs the car.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Haha, I guess Chase can. At least you admit it.

I've heard that this is a problem with some WRXs. People try to do full throttle clutch drops and something has to give, unfortunately with AWD it often isn't traction.

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
Yeah, IM really cool with my service Dept... Thats why I got hooked up..

And that damage is from crazy abuse, I run my car into the ground. Something a torque dampener would help avoid.

If He cant pay for it, tell Him to find an RSX transmission and do the work himself.

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BigT said:
Haha, I guess Chase can. At least you admit it.

I've heard that this is a problem with some WRXs. People try to do full throttle clutch drops and something has to give, unfortunately with AWD it often isn't traction.
That's the case with this car since we have LSD... in the old days we just used to snap axles. On our cars the distribution is about 50 50 on the axles now the inside of the transmission goes BOOM!

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
They covered My abuse, but I told them strait up what was going on.

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Chase said:
They covered My abuse, but I told them strait up what was going on.
That's exactly the same case we have. He and his friend think that they know more than us and tell us what the cause was (Faulty Transmission) that's why we are not covering it under warranty. Always be straight up and humble, lying does not help, it only makes the situation worse.

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
Going through two clutches is enough evidence for for abuse. But it depends on some dealerships some are motorsports oriented and will hook you up.

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
Yeah, My service manager knows that the Si, S2000 etc... Are made to be run hard and He hooks Me up everytime I break My car.

So are you saying that you would have replaced His transmission Had He been honest with you?

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Chase said:
Yeah, My service manager knows that the Si, S2000 etc... Are made to be run hard and He hooks Me up everytime I break My car.

So are you saying that you would have replaced His transmission Had He been honest with you?
But he should also know that everything has its limits. Just because the car can go up to 8000 rpm's that does not mean that every stop light or every gear you should hit 8000 rpm's.

It would have helped the situation and would have been taken into consideration.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts