8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the ideal AFR we should be seeing on a NA car? What should they be like under Vtec and under normal driving conditions? What are the danger zones in being rich and lean? I would greatly appreciate it for anyone who can answer.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I'm no pro, but I've done enough street tuning and research to provide you with a solid, safe answer--

The ideal ratio of air to fuel is 14.7 parts air to 1 part fuel, or 14.7:1, referred to as stoichiometric combustion (or just "stoich.") When balancing between efficiency and safety, this is best, and you should aim for it at both idle and cruising RPM (or as close as possible.)

Under heavy load and/or VTEC, everything under your engine bay becomes hotter, and will continue to rise in temperature depending on how prolonged the load is (track racing, etc.) Due to the high-revving nature of Honda engines, they are typically tuned to run rich in VTEC, since the extra fuel acts as a coolant in the combustion chamber. You want to aim for 12.x:1 in VTEC at full throttle (closed loop.) This is too rich for ordinary load conditions, though.

Running lean is GENERALLY more risky than running rich. Anything above 14.7:1 could be considered lean, and above 15.0:1 is pushing it, whereas running 14.0:1 (for example,) while rich, is not something to be terribly concerned about.

·
Premium Member
1,156 Posts
I'm no pro, but I've done enough street tuning and research to provide you with a solid, safe answer--

The ideal ratio of air to fuel is 14.7 parts air to 1 part fuel, or 14.7:1, referred to as stoichiometric combustion (or just "stoich.") When balancing between efficiency and safety, this is best, and you should aim for it at both idle and cruising RPM (or as close as possible.)

Under heavy load and/or VTEC, everything under your engine bay becomes hotter, and will continue to rise in temperature depending on how prolonged the load is (track racing, etc.) Due to the high-revving nature of Honda engines, they are typically tuned to run rich in VTEC, since the extra fuel acts as a coolant in the combustion chamber. You want to aim for 12.x:1 in VTEC at full throttle (open loop.) This is too rich for ordinary load conditions, though.

Running lean is GENERALLY more risky than running rich. Anything above 14.7:1 could be considered lean, and above 15.0:1 is pushing it, whereas running 14.0:1 (for example,) while rich, is not something to be terribly concerned about.
OP...

14.7 for normal driving

12.9 for Wide Open Throttle/Open Loop up to about 7500 rpms
12.6 for Wide Open Throttle/Open Loop from 7500 & up

·
Registered
548 Posts
OP...

14.7 for normal driving

12.9 for Wide Open Throttle/Open Loop up to about 7500 rpms
12.6 for Wide Open Throttle/Open Loop from 7500 & up
Lol, I'm running a good bit leaner than that at WOT. 12.9 is what I would shoot for on my turbo car.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
i'd stick to stoich for part throttle. for an all motor car at full throttle i play it safe and aim for 12.8. with forced induction cars i aim for 11.8. this is on pump gas. things change when using other fuels such as e85.

Lol, I'm running a good bit leaner than that at WOT. 12.9 is what I would shoot for on my turbo car.
that's way too lean for my liking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts