8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've searched through the forums first but I've not found what seems to be a definitive answer on this...

Exactly what support for ID3 tag display does the Navi have?

Using:

MP3s via card reader?
MP3s on CD?

Are there any functional differences between tag display with MP3s using ID3 v1 vs v2 tags? If so, what is the *ideal* setup (v1 only, v2 only, v1/v2?)

So far, all I seem to get (when using an SD card via a PC card reader) is info based on the filenames. I have verified that the MP3 files all have identical ID3 v1/v2 tags set.

This is on an 08 Si if it matters.

I don't care about WMA support as I will never use it.

Thanks for any info anyone can provide!

·
Registered
16 Posts
It supports ID tags and CD Text, I'm not sure about the exact details though. I've never thrown a MP3 CD in it before, but I'm assuming since it supports CD Text and MP3 tags for the card reader that it will support the MP3 ID tags for CDs as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. I was wondering specifically what type of tag support it has and how it handles them.

So far, from what I can tell, it seems to handle the info based on filenames in some (card playback) modes and by ID3 tags in others, with a mix of some info from both. Strange...I wish the damn thing would just use one or the other (or at least let you select which it uses), but I guess they are trying to cover all bases. Unfortunately, it makes for a half-assed setup for either. So now I am just trying different combinations of filenames and/or tags to see what I get.

Using ID3 tags and a simple filename in the format "<2 digit track#> - <song title>" seems to work ok. I would prefer not to have to have the track number in the filename as the system adds its own track number to the beginning also, but otherwise it wants to play all of the tracks alphabetically. For some odd reason it wont use ID3 info for track numbers.

It doesn't help that there is no documentation explaining how it works either...

Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts