8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we got hit with a big ice and snow storm here in Ky and my car was iced over I got most of it off the windows and headlights, I noticed there was some ice on the wing and underneath it I didnt think anymore about it untill i got on the highway once i got up to 55mph the car started shaking like i had a flat tire. I pulled over and everything looks good im like wtf is going on took off again same thing so this time i cleaned all the snow and ice off the wing and the car drove great . I never have had this happen before with a little snow and ice on the wing anyone else ever had this happen.

Thanks
Lee

·
Registered
727 Posts
Well we got hit with a big ice and snow storm here in Ky and my car was iced over I got most of it off the windows and headlights, I noticed there was some ice on the wing and underneath it I didnt think anymore about it untill i got on the highway once i got up to 55mph the car started shaking like i had a flat tire. I pulled over and everything looks good im like wtf is going on took off again same thing so this time i cleaned all the snow and ice off the wing and the car drove great . I never have had this happen before with a little snow and ice on the wing anyone else ever had this happen.

Thanks
Lee
Try parking your car in a garage!

Where do you live in KY? I'm in Lexington. We got hit pretty hard with the ice as well. Luckily, my Si was in the garage...So they shake pretty violently if ice builds up on the spoiler? I guess it makes sense...I'll have to watch out for that! ;)

·
Registered
10,265 Posts
Yes everything is fine I just could not believe how violently the car shook from side to side.
if it makes you feel any better, my car was frozen solid. i tried to yank the door open, but id didnt budge. i couldnt even get into my car, and im in TEXAS!!!!! worse part is, the ground was covered in a layer of ice too, so when i pulled on the door, i slid over the ice and slammed into my car. lmao

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
You sure it was the ice on the wing? Was the whole car shaking or just the steering wheel? I've had snow/ice build up in my wheels and throw the wheel balance off which causes the steering wheel to vibrate on the HW...

The worst I get is the snow gets stuck on the trunk lid cause it doesn't fly off cause of the wing then it freezes and if it's all the way up to the back window, the sub will make it rattle. Pretty annoying.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Sorry to burst your bubble...But I'm pretty sure its not you wing that caused the problem.
Here in Toronto Canada we get alots of ice/snow...and many times I dont bother cleaning off the trunk/wing area of snow/ice off my FG2.
I does not cause any turbulence what so ever.

I hypothesis the cause the of violent shakes is your rims/tires.
They were packed or carrying ice/snow resulting unbalanced rims/tires.

We talked about it be4 in Dec here:
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/ontario/132507-80-100-km-h-shakey-ride.html

·
Premium Member
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry to burst your bubble...But I'm pretty sure its not you wing that caused the problem.
Here in Toronto Canada we get alots of ice/snow...and many times I dont bother cleaning off the trunk/wing area of snow/ice off my FG2.
I does not cause any turbulence what so ever.

I hypothesis the cause the of violent shakes is your rims/tires.
They were packed or carrying ice/snow resulting unbalanced rims/tires.

We talked about it be4 in Dec here:
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/ontario/132507-80-100-km-h-shakey-ride.html
i just read those that had to be it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.