8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well...
I want to get a turbo in my LX, and I have no idea what I would all need to upgrade in order to get a turbo, and have my car be okay, not my tranny going and ****... Is there anybody who could help inform me on what I would all need to upgrade? Thanks...

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
i was under the impression R18s are difficult to turbo due to their exaust manifold? isn't is physically on the engine or something?

Maybe i'm just out of it... it is 6 am and i haven't gone to bed lol

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
A new car
This.

Not worth it
And this.

OP, if you have to ask by making a thread on a civic forum then you should forget about doing a turbo setup. There's so much involved and you would never be able to do this yourself and maintain a reliable car.

I'm not trying to insult your intelligence. Just giving you an honest heads up. It's more complicated than just asking "what do I need?".

Aside from parts, you "need" a bunch of money, better-than-average auto mechanical skills, money, patience, a backup daily driver, an understanding gf/wife, and more money. Do you really want to go through all this trouble for an LX?

If you have 10k to blow to have a professional shop like AJP do it, then by all means go for it. But for that price, you could have yourself an Si or something even better.

·
Registered
35,845 Posts
WOW, congrats on your 20kth post! :beer:
lol thanks

This.

And this.

OP, if you have to ask by making a thread on a civic forum then you should forget about doing a turbo setup. There's so much involved and you would never be able to do this yourself and maintain a reliable car.

I'm not trying to insult your intelligence. Just giving you an honest heads up. It's more complicated than just asking "what do I need?".

Aside from parts, you "need" a bunch of money, better-than-average auto mechanical skills, money, patience, a backup daily driver, an understanding gf/wife, and more money. Do you really want to go through all this trouble for an LX?

If you have 10k to blow to have a professional shop like AJP do it, then by all means go for it. But for that price, you could have yourself an Si or something even better.
Most importantly the bold. Save yourself the trouble, headache and cost. Might be better off with a different car or a 2nd car that can be your b/s "fast" car such as a hatch or 240sx, something along those lines.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I went to a local performance shop and they quoted me about $1,500 for install and basic tuning / dyno. All in all it would be $5,000 (Canadian) if I wanted to order the TSI turbo kit for the R18 (Honda Civic Parts Source) have it shipped to Canada and installed. This is the base price up here and the cost only goes up from there. Further tuning, minor adjustments, more tuning etc. If you have the money and you want to have fun wit your ride go ahead! LX / Si whatever ... have fun with the trim you have - just think about the gains and the fact that you may get more performance gains for your $ by purchasing an Si. I own an R18 and I love it - but I decided I wouldnt spend 5K$ for a turbo setup on it. Do all the bolt ons if u want a peppy fun ride - throw on some nice wheels and drop it if u like. It's your car - and your money :)

·
Wanna be troll
5,740 Posts
Well...
I want to get a turbo in my LX, and I have no idea what I would all need to upgrade in order to get a turbo, and have my car be okay, not my tranny going and ****... Is there anybody who could help inform me on what I would all need to upgrade? Thanks...
Uhm you can do some more reading on Turbos that's for sure. If you're asking what you're going to need, I don't think this is the right time for you to be dumping money into your car and you don't know what it is...

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
I agree with everyone's advice so far. My honest opinion would be do some serious research, this forum as well as google is your best friend. You can find alot of info to get an idea of what you are going to be getting yourself into. Its not as easy as slapping on a turbo and calling it a day. And I'm sure most will agree that your going to be spending a decent amount of $ for a quality kit. Do things cheaply and it will only cost you more $ and aggravation..

I have been contemplating this same thing with my SI, and still on the edge If I want to deal with all thats involved for some extra power..

·
Wanna be troll
5,740 Posts
If anything, do a k-swap instead... A lot more reliable and it's sometimes hard to be OEM grade. You have to pay to play... You have to think of potential costs as well... turbo kit, tuning, TIRES, re-tunes blah blah. NA is sweet with the k20's

·
Wanna be troll
5,740 Posts
A turbo

/thread.

Your title says nothing about wanting to install it on your car. :readtherules:

:giggle:
Oh there's another cost right there. Thanks! :facepalm:

·
Registered
15,796 Posts
Full Race is contemplating making a turbo kit for the R18. If they do, go that route. Everyone implying an R18 shouldn't be turbo'd will probably be getting spanked in the near future by any R18 that goes the FR route

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
people wanting to go F/I, but yet know nothing about it. what really bothers me is that people want to go turbo just to have it and then once they do get it, there is a good chance that they may become an imminent threat on the streets, as well as destroying a perfectly good car.

·
Wanna be troll
5,740 Posts
people wanting to go F/I, but yet know nothing about it. what really bothers me is that people want to go turbo just to have it and then once they do get it, there is a good chance that they may become an imminent threat on the streets, as well as destroying a perfectly good car.
:clapping:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.