8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an R18 and would like to see a light that indicates when "i-VTEC kicks in" (when the high cams are in use) like the Civic Type R has.
Anyone done this and/or have a wiring diagram?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
there isnt a high or low cam is there? isnt it seperate lobes?
(I just copied that from another site)
From what I understand it's one cam with 2 different sized lobes.
Anyway, I like when my green "ECO" light comes on in my Pilot when running on 3 cylinders instead of 6. It would be cool to monitor vtec in the civic too, just to know when it does the changeover.

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
You can't even feel/hear vtec in the R18, I'm not exactly sure what the point of a light would be. "Hey look, my gas economy just kicked in!"

·
Registered
17,663 Posts
You can't even feel/hear vtec in the R18, I'm not exactly sure what the point of a light would be. "Hey look, my gas economy just kicked in!"
Exactly. I can see how its a nice feature in the Pilot... but I dont really see how it would be beneficial in the R18s.

But hey, if someone wants it... might as well see if its available

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
That is SO my new sig now. :laughing:

·
Registered
252 Posts
I too have a '06 Pilot - and yes with gas creeping over $3.25/gal - it is nice to see that ECO light come on.

I think the point of the request is to know (on a R18) when you are being fuel efficient versus being speedy.

Count me in as interested as well . . .

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
It will be on in the low range, and off in the high range. The R18 works "opposite" of the K20's. :D
:yeahthat:
The i-vtec that is in an R18 is designed to mimic the displacement of a an engine smaller than 1.8L for economy. So theres not kick like in the K20's.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
theres a video on youtube of a corolla xrs that has a tach that changes backlight color when toyota's variable valve timing kicks in... its really cool looking actually

it would be sweet to have the tach get super bright or something when you're in vtec (im talking about the Si though.. lol)

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
scangaugeII should be able to show a change in ignition timing.

IMO Honda should have place the IMPG display in the R18's.

·
Banned
49,418 Posts
Well, with 35,893 posts you should know!
My bad. I searched for i-vtec indicator before creating the thread but there wasn't one.
:laughing: :laughing: it happens.....I've done it too :thumb:

1 - 20 of 75 Posts