8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was fixing a pain chip on the right side of the hood of my 08 FBP si coupe. after wet sanding with 2000 grit sand paper then buffing it and using scratchX the chip is fine but i noticed a round spot ~.5 in diameter above the fixed area. it's black in the middle and light blue on the outer rim so it kinda stands out in my paint. it does not go away even after waxing. is this spot a result of over sanding that i did not noticed i was doing? and what can i do to fix it? i can't afford a paint job now? advice appreciated.

·
Premium Member
101,191 Posts
Sounds like you over sanded. clearcoat gone

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
middle part is black since i think you sanded it too much to the point that the black primer(factory primer before the top coat) is now visible.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
^ You sanded through the clear and the base coat. Needs either a repaint or someone whose good at airbrushing automotive paints.

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts

·
Banned
4,871 Posts
*isnt there a site someone listed here tha sells factory-match paint in rattle cans? i remember seeing a site where you plug in your VIN and you can get paint anywhere from the nailbrush to buckets for a boothe gun. lemme look around a little

edit: this isnt the same site but http://www.expresspaint.com/productcart/pc/step3.asp looks pretty promising? you can get it from an aerosol can to a pint. lol u could probably tape off the hood except that spot and carefully mist it on and then clear it. Followed by polishing to smooth it out of course

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
Another idea, look in your phone book for detailers and ask if they know anyone who does micro-touch-ups. They are pretty cheap and you'd be much better off paying a professional. Some detail shops might even offer the service themselves.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i went to an auto paint shop and the guy there told me that putting touch-up on it will look worse that it is now (because it is pretty smooth now if not for the color.) he said to leave it alone or repaint it. is this true? won't it rust? the thing to consider is i'm new to doing stuff like this and my skills are not very good as you can see from what happened. i'm kinda traumatized now.

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
you didn't get to the bare metal. You're seeing the base. As long as there is primer/base on the car it's not going to rust. If you see straight up metal - it will rust over time, which will require sanding it down, adding primer, and painting/clear.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
wow that's a relief knowing it will not rust. because i can't really afford a paint job now. maybe in the spring or summer if it really bothers me. for aesthetic purposes, will the touch-up paint make it look worse? is there anything i can do to make it look better?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts