8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My car was working fine before I did anything to it. I disconnected the battery, took part or disconnected everything, took out the fuel pump Assembly, replace fuel pump filter. That’s all I wanted to do. Reason, I just wanted to replace it. Now I hear a buzzing tik noise in the back. It sounds like it was priming, tried that a few times. Then turn my car on and nothing. My car won’t start. It sounded like it would turn, then splatter, and now it just clicks when I turn the key. Any idea how I messed this up?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Whats the brand of the fuel pump? You might've broken a small cable in the water pump unit when changing it. I would dig back in there and check for something in there.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The fuel pump is OEM. Same one in there since 08. Small cable where? Also, is it possible that getting gas on the connectors a bad thing?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Ok, I see. You might've messed up something in there. By the cable, I mean the small ones around the unit. I don't think its bad but i'm not 100% sure.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so I took everything out and reinstall everything. What I saw what I did wrong was left a cable pinched and I didn’t steal the unit in properly. The big gasket that sits it in place. I fixed those. I hear noises and it sounds like gas is moving in there. But my battery died cuz I kept starting the car. I put my sisters car battery in and my car just cranks and keeps cranking. I set the key to on then off position a good 10 times to prime the pump. But no luck so far.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Ouch. I will be honest that I have never worked on the fuel pump on my car but I did see the video on how to change it a while back and it looked a bit tough. I wish you good luck on this fix though.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Posting a video of what happens HERE
I turn the key to the on position and off position a few times. I place my phone on top of the fuel pump so you can hear how it sounds and I tried to start my car a few times.

·
Registered
410 Posts
To my knowledge, it sounds like its not working/defective unit. If anything, you should hear a very small whine when priming but you get nothing thus not starting the car and fire.

A quick search to past forums, users have said that either the o-ring (if it has one) was not installed correctly, or the fuel pump kills itself and you need to replace it with a new one. If thats the case, Denso made one's range around $100 but I would try to check the o-ring if you do remember messing with it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I set the o ring on correctly, there’s two. One that goes around the circle entrance sealing the fuel pump inside and one that goes on top setting the plastic holder torque in the right way. I even unplug the gas line and saw gas shoot out the pump when I turn the key to ON. It’s working. I got on the phone with a mechanic and they told me that the fuel lines might be clogged so they’ll charge me $10 to look at it and probably fix it too.

·
Registered
410 Posts
That sounds good. It sucks to not have a working car. It has happened to my Civic a couple of times....getting flashbacks of my Civic being towed these times.......

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Final update, my car works. There’s an o-ring that fits on top of the sending part of the fuel pump I didn’t put on correctly. The opposite side of the filter. It lowered the pressure and didn’t start my car. The other big o-rings were put on just fine. Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
My car was working fine before I did anything to it. I disconnected the battery, took part or disconnected everything, took out the fuel pump Assembly, replace fuel pump filter. That’s all I wanted to do. Reason, I just wanted to replace it. Now I hear a buzzing tik noise in the back. It sounds like it was priming, tried that a few times. Then turn my car on and nothing. My car won’t start. It sounded like it would turn, then splatter, and now it just clicks when I turn the key. Any idea how I messed this up?
This happen to me also. Please check the small o-ring in the plastic cylinder inside the assembly where the pump begins to sip the fuel. The o-ring should be fixed on that rod not at the bottom hole. If that is not fixed, no suction of fuel will happen. It is easy to find the o-ring. It is the only o-ring like 1cm or less in size.

·
Registered
410 Posts
This happen to me also. Please check the small o-ring in the plastic cylinder inside the assembly where the pump begins to sip the fuel. The o-ring should be fixed on that rod not at the bottom hole. If that is not fixed, no suction of fuel will happen. It is easy to find the o-ring. It is the only o-ring like 1cm or less in size.
He did say that he fixed it. This thread will help me "if" I need to change my fuel pump as a unit one day.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lol, this guy replied waayyy too late. I already paid for the towing and my mechanic to fix it for me. I didn’t even see an o-ring to even know there was one in there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts