8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...and it couldnt been repaired so i bought a new one but it wasnst the michelin brand that came with the si, it was a diff brand because i couldnt afford it. i heard that it isnt good to mix tire brands even if it is that same size. is it true or should i not even worry about it?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
You definitely don't want to mis-match tires side to side. I'd recommend at the minimum buying another tire to pair the new one you've bought. Obviously, you really want four matching tires, but if all four tires are of decent quality a fwd car works adequately with different tires front vs. rear. It is doubly important for the front tires of a Si to match each other due to its LSD, which is intolerant of difference in diameter.

·
Registered
11,148 Posts
:yeahthat:

·
Banned
717 Posts
Mixing tires can increase the chance of something negative happening in emegerncy sitations or agressive driving. The rubber compound, tread design and reinforcements are different on all tires, even ones within the same brand, but different models. While it is importanat to try and also maintain the same speed rating capabilities as well, these other factors can affect the way one corner of your vehicle responds to situations vs the other three. Its not reccomended in most situations

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so if i dont match the 2 tires in the front i should just replace the new one with one of the original tires in the back but its recommended i just buy the same brand and type.. ok i guess i could use that new tire as a spare then... it all works out because i dont have to throw it away or sell it... i just gotta save up my money cuz that specific tire cost about $220...

thanks everybody

1 - 6 of 6 Posts