8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Start rant

First off, I love my car. I've been throwing so much money into the thing just to get it to put faster, turn harder, and brake more aggressively. I've spent about 9-10K so far... Full bolt ons, Supercharger (not in yet!), wheels, 3 sets of tires, new rotors, Rear sway bar, HFP suspension, Camer bolts, Flashpro, labor, Nitrous, HIDs, etc etc...

I then decide tonight to go to a local car show. All of these guys here have 2x more heavily modified cars with enough money in them to make me cry. A guy there I know has ready for this a Heffner TT AND supercharged Ford GT. It's the one on Youtube racing the 1000HP Corvette and destroying it.

There was Cobras, swapped out Civics with a lot more goodies than me, 3000GTs ready to eat you, STIs with ridiculous boost and bolt ons etc and a ton of other cars.

My car felt like a baby amongst giants. I was so proud and happy of my little Japanese Eco car with all of it's nice little mods, and I go here to see that nearly 30+ cars in this parking lot are all able to eat me for breakfast, lunch, and dinner (just wait for Supercharger).

Anybody ever have their proud NOT BIG ego hurt by so many cars! It just makes you feel so insignificant! But hey, I'm in no competition. I love driving my car, and I don't buy mods to beat people or to be faster than them, I only buy for my own pleasure. But, it just makes you want to sell your car and stop modding when you see so many people with 400 or 500+ horse and you want a taste of that.

/Rant.

·
Hidy Ho Neighbor
29,707 Posts
It seems to me that it becomes a double edged sword with heavily modified cars.

Yeah, they can kick most car's butts, but they are not practical anymore, and to a great degree, a pita to maintain.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I feel like that too specially with all the newer cars coming out. I still love my car though. You should of spent the 9 g's on on boosting it first.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
i know what you mean op ... my si is my dd as of right now so no need for boost as of right yet, but all of my friends have either boosted eg hatchs, one has a 2jz swapped supra (mkII), another a boosted crx, rb20 swapped 240 (s13) ... catch my drift lol ... all tho i feel inferior at times with my car i still love my si and always will ... i know that within the next year to year and a half my car will be seeing boost so i'm trying to just be patient with it and admire the work that they've done (helping out all of the time to expand the knowledge base) ... put that sc in and i think you'll have a lil different opinion of your car! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
when i see slower civics i feel cool in my si. when i see anything faster than my car i just pretend to be busy doing something else

·
Registered
954 Posts
there are always cars out there that can blow your doors off. if you want to be them with an Si then its a losing battle. kinda like comparing my stock Si to the stock Veyron I drove by today ..... but I figured it doesn't have :vtec: (ok, so it doesn't need it).

question is, if you sell your car, what are you going to get and how much are you're going to need to put into it.

·
Registered
954 Posts
...... You should of spent the 9 g's on on boosting it first.
you gotta stop and steer the darn thing if you up the power. suspension, brakes and tires first then go to town on the I/H/E or maybe even boost.

sounds like you're on that path already davecivic91

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
then dave, id tell you this you wasted money on teh si for nothing, if you expected the si to be a monster with a sc then you are highly mistaken..

our cars ARE below par to begin with, and since now you are about to be boosted, you are still below par compared to mustangs cobras and such.. they got wayyy more power and as you mentioned they are also heavily modified..

i love my boosted si, but im still carefull on who i want to mess around with, ms3 SURE, stock mustangs, maybe GT sure!! , stock evo or sti SURE.. any of the cars i mentioned modded NOO!! . bc il be embarrsed. and sometimes it is sad that we put so much money and in the car and only gain soo little, but i expected that from the getgo.

YOU WILL ALWAYS FIND SOME1 FASTER CAR ,NOMATTER HOW MUCH YOU TRY.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I entered my bone stock 2010 in a car show I help run for my Lions Club. I don't even have any HFP stuff lol. Parked next to a beautiful Camaro and had a late 50's vette in the spot behind me. Also there was a 1000hp viper there. So yes I understand the feeling. My car was the only Honda out there. It was for charity so its all good.

·
Registered
846 Posts
What sells me on the SI is the fun to drive motto.

if you truly wanted a completly fast car, the SI is the wrong car to mess around with, it's on a wrong platform (FWD) to begin with, not to mention, you're starting with a fairly low-powered car STOCK compared to these cars you are mentioning.

i mean lets be honest. if you spent 9K, you are around 30k, correct? add a few more grand, and you're in the stock STI Category which would be just as fast, and able to actually use that power through its AWD drivetrain.

but it's a hobby, if you enjoy modding your car, do it. I'm hoping one day i can make this car not a DD, but a full on track car and bring it to circuit tracks, etc down the road. It seems like you are already there though. :clapping:

It all depends on what you want. I don't think the SI is the right car for anyone who wants to "race" and "beat" other drivers.

However, if someone wants a car that almost all enthusiasts consider it a "fun to drive car" you chose the right vehicle. :dance:

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think yall are getting the wrong message! I never want to sell my Si, I love it. I don't care if it isn't as fast as the car next to me, it just makes me feel like the cars worthless and it's like why lol.

Once the SC is in and tuned with nitrous I'm looking forward to try and hanging with those kinda cars. But hey - I'm basically 19 and my friends dont have ridiculous cars.

But IDK I spent so much on the car and then guys can get like 100WHP out of their cars with like 1K if theyre already boosted... I just... I dunno!

·
Registered
393 Posts
There is always going to be someone out there faster than you. Nothing you can do about it.

Alot of those guys that have fast cars probably put it all on their credit card anyway lol.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Dont let it get you down , you like modding your car like the rest of us , so you picked a car within your budget. Even if you owned something faster and more exspensive you would probaly still mod it. The people with these other cars also have a lot more invested .Sure if I had that kind of money I would own a car like they have, but the truth is I dont have that kind of money. I bought a car that was in my budget and add mods when I have the money. Your doing good for 19!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am with you. Just got spanked by a stock Altima in a large way. I just keep telling myself "i am having more fun than him." At least i can shift a manual transmission.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts