8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my friend needs some help to know the proper way to seal off their trunk, because when it rains they get water inside their trunk and it builds up inside where the spare tire is located. Any advice on the proper way to seal would be really appreciated.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Here's an easy alternative:

Drill a hole in the bottom of the spare tire well, so the water will drain out! :thumb:

Just kidding. But seriously: Check the rubber seal all the way around the trunk, and make sure it isn't torn or pealing away in parts. If it is, see what the dealer charges to replace it. :smile:

·
Registered
227 Posts
my friend needs some help to know the proper way to seal off their trunk, because when it rains they get water inside their trunk and it builds up inside where the spare tire is located. Any advice on the proper way to seal would be really appreciated.
check the seals on the taillights. This happened on my 97 CL, and I hear its common on hondas. (though i cant imagine its happening so early in the life of the vehicle.)

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
I had a honda that the tail light gaskets were leaking and the sun roof drain tubes were clogged and I blew them out with a air hose and one of the ends came off of on and it was draining right into the trunk. After I fixed all of that I had no more problems. I thought it was the trunk seal at first and found out that it was all the other stuff.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
i had a 97 prelude and it did the same thing. we actually could not find any problems with seals or drains. took it to the dealer they couldnt find any prolems either. so we drilled a hole under the spare tire. no problems any more

·
Registered
597 Posts
make sure they didn't try to adjust the height of the trunk lid. One time about 10 years ago I tried to make a trunk of mine close more tightly by adjusting how high it sat when closed. usually you can do this by turning the rubber feet on the underside of the trunk lid counterclockwise. Anyway, my trunk leaked and it took me a while to realize it was just sitting too high and not sealing against the rubber seal. I did this to minimize trunk lid rattle from my subwoofers. Funny thing is it was maybe just a smidge higher than the adjacent body panels. It didn't take much to make it leak.

·
Registered
17,716 Posts
no ****... this happens to my car too... I just found out when I took my spare tire out the other day and found small patches of rust under there... Took it to honda with the water in it and they were flabbergasted.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.